Baby 'Expert' DON'TS that you DO!!

Haha I don't think I should do my lists haha x everyone has an opinion no matter what you do x end of the day every baby and every mummy is different xxx

I add formula to pre made cooled boiled water bottles,
I let my baby use a dummy
I wake her for her last feed at night (if) I need to, especially in the hot weather so she doesn't dehydrate.
When she wakes at 5:30am I put her dummy in or offer her a little cooled boiled water not milk, she goes back to sleep until 8am
I do not rock her to sleep, I let her self settle because I have two other children to look after
I do swaddle her, as I did with my ds, it is what she likes
She pulls her taggy / blanket over her head to go to sleep. I let her, as long as its not causing her any problems and move it once she is asleep.
I will wean her when I feel she is ready, not when a book tells me to, if that's 5 months or 7 months so be it, I will let my buba guide me
I put her dummy in my mouth if it falls on the floor on the house, not only am I not going to sterilise every little thing, I want her immune system to build up.
I have skin to skin time when I can, I do baby massage and tummy time when I can..
Her baby swing is a god send to allow me to cook tea for the other children.
I have the tv up as loud, I let the lads make noise and I don't change her clothing a thousand times a day, she will see and do worse in the next two years, covered in food and dirt from learning and laughing and playing.
I intend to teach her baby sign, let her develop at her own pace and not feel pressure if she's not doing something by a certain time... All bubas are different x

I wish I knew with my first what I know now, everyone has an opinion, those without children more than anyone! The advice given changes every 5 years with new research new this new that etc etc x follow your instincts as a mummy, use common sense and be safe x that's about as much as you can do xxx oh, and learn to nod and smile at anyone who disagrees with your parenting skills lol ;) xxx

Last edited:
I've just fed Jack jelly tots to keep him awake in the car on the way to my Mum's so that he has a decent sleepwhen we get there rather than 10mins in the car!!

Needs must when you could have a potentially very grumpy 2 year old on your hands if he only gets 10mins rather than 2hrs sleep lol x

Yeh its a couple hours but the cartons or bottles of pre made milk can stay in the fridge for 24 hours?? Why is it different for that formula to the powder mixed - its all confusing! xx

When he was little I used to put it in the fridge and then offer that bottle first (he wasn't fussy and would have his milk cold) but that was because he would graze every 2 hours having 3ish oz. I then went by the rule...would I drink it still? If you would then give it to baby! :)

My name is Chezza and I am a terrible mum!!!!!

JJ doesn't normally have a bath til 8pm as he only really starts getting sleepy around 9pm and goes down at 9.30pm.

For the last 2 weeks, we have had real problems during our dinner time - he wont just sit happily in his bouncer or gym...DH sat him down in front of the tv in his bouncy chair tonight when we sat down to dinner and he sat quite happily gurgling away whilst we ate - I got a hot dinner - hooray!!

I feel terrible though...putting a little one in front of a tv at his age :-( Was only for 20 mins, but still...:-(

JJ doesn't normally have a bath til 8pm as he only really starts getting sleepy around 9pm and goes down at 9.30pm.

For the last 2 weeks, we have had real problems during our dinner time - he wont just sit happily in his bouncer or gym...DH sat him down in front of the tv in his bouncy chair tonight when we sat down to dinner and he sat quite happily gurgling away whilst we ate - I got a hot dinner - hooray!!

I feel terrible though...putting a little one in front of a tv at his age :-( Was only for 20 mins, but still...:-(

Lol chezza, i must be the worst mum ever then, because one twin inevitably gazes at the tv whilst i deal with the other sometimes. Better than them crying and mummy having to stress because i cant pick them up ;)

My lo has a dummy.
Up until 3 months ago my lo still had his milk from a bottle not a beaker
My lo won't drink water so has sugar free juice available to him all day every day
I have done controlled crying
My lo eats chocolate, biscuits and ice cream every so often

I'm the expert on my baby, all these other so called 'experts' can do one! I know what's best for my baby.

I've just fed Jack jelly tots to keep him awake in the car on the way to my Mum's so that he has a decent sleepwhen we get there rather than 10mins in the car!!

Needs must when you could have a potentially very grumpy 2 year old on your hands if he only gets 10mins rather than 2hrs sleep lol x

I do this all the time to E, but with custard, just to 'keep her going'!!

Chezza, this is the only reason we have in the night garden on! It coincides quite nicely with tea time if I've not been super organised enough to have it ready for before 6!

Everytime I read this thread I think of more things I do wrong! I don't use bibs, don't see the point cos it's still something I have to wash at the end of the day.

I have rocked my son to sleep in his pram in the living room when I couldn't be bothered going out.

He keeps trying to pinch my toast the last few days so today I gave him some. He's not quite 5 months yet!

Everytime I read this thread I think of more things I do wrong!

Oh God, me too!! Someone will mention something and I'll think "oops, me too!" and then I think I best not add it to my already long list haha!!!

Maybe I am selfish, but I don't see *anything* wrong with this. It's not even that 20 mins of TV is bad (it isn't), it's more that I place a high value on mummy and daddy looking after themselves as well as the LO. Anything that keeps the baby safe and happy while I enjoy a hot dinner, or do pilates when my back aches, or even just get that drink I've not had chance to grab all day, is fine by me.

It's all about balance and making sure the whole family's needs are met xxx

Maybe I am selfish, but I don't see *anything* wrong with this. It's not even that 20 mins of TV is bad (it isn't), it's more that I place a high value on mummy and daddy looking after themselves as well as the LO. Anything that keeps the baby safe and happy while I enjoy a hot dinner, or do pilates when my back aches, or even just get that drink I've not had chance to grab all day, is fine by me.

It's all about balance and making sure the whole family's needs are met xxx

Thank you! After a little chat with DH this morning, we have agreed that if that's what we have to do, to both enjoy a hot dinner, then that's what we will do from now on! It's only 20 mins or so...and I can officially confirm I no longer feel bad or selfish :lol: xx

If James didn't watch TV I'd have not washed my hair for 8.5 months :shock: :lol:

xxxxxx

Baby TV is a life saver for me to get washed and cleared up.
xxxxx

Noahs not even a month old and he already loves laying on his playmat watching the TV lol! :) xx

Here's my list:

Cot bumper
Loose blankets and cuddly toys in his cot
Wet wipes from the start
Bottles are made up with cooled boiled water which has sometimes been...cold
I have microwaved bottles
He has chocolate and had two whole ice creams to himself last week
If his dummy falls on the floor, i suck it and give it back to him
I bath him every day using johnsons
He has had runny eggs
He puts the dogs toys in his mouth
He has eaten the cats food!
I cuddle him to sleep sometimes
He watches telly

There's probably loads more but I reckon that'll do

XX

Last edited:
I've actually had to turn off our tv today because Jackson was more interested in it than the lunch.

He's having a nap so its back on.. For me! LOL xxxxx

Cam slept on tummy from birth
Had a cot bumper
Weaned from 17 weeks
Cows milk from 9 months
I never sterilised dummies
Put in his own room early
Wet wipes
Had hot deep baths
Eats mcdonalds (and loves it)
Im sure he ate things he shouldn't too early.

Oh and watches tv like there is no tomorrow. Although if given the choice would rather be outside x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Christ, I do more against the book than I thought. Everytime someone posts I think I do that, I do that, I do that.

So we do teddies & blankies in bed
Wipes since day 1
Hot deep baths
I suck his dummy before giving him it
He started puree's early aswell..

Wowzer, social services will be after me soon lolol xxxxx

Well my wee girl just had a KFC for lunch. Yes you read that right

My husband was shocked. He didnt think I would ever allow that. We were starving after our swim lesson so went to grab a kfc on way home. Told hubby to get an extra side of pop corn chicken for her to save me cooking when we got home

So she got that, her Chedds nibbles and a fruit pot. she loved it!

I am also a little proud of myself for easing up a bit on the whole fast food thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back