Baby 'Expert' DON'TS that you DO!!

Loving this thread and as a new mummy I'm actually learning a few tips lol!

With bottles we boil the kettle, let it cool 20/30 mins then pour it in a thermos flask. Stays that temperature for 6 hours and I can get 3 bottles out of it. Just pour it in the bottle when I need it then add the powder and cool down in a jug of cold water. Saves me boiling the kettle umpteen times a day (hubby points out saves electricity, he's always trying to save pennies lol). Obviously it's great for night feeds. Works for us!

One thing I'm really considering is putting Matthew in his cot in his own room, probably at 6 or 8 weeks. He doesn't seem to like his crib in our room and we are always waking each other up. We've got the angel care mat which gives us piece of mind. Whenever I put him down in his cot in the nursery (usually after I've changed him and need to wash my hands) he seems really chilled. The mattress must be much comfier than the thin crib one. Chezza I'm aiming for him to go down like JJ! I'll let you know in a few weeks if he does!

Keep em coming ladies :lol:

Hmm. Naught naught ladies!! Haha

I think I am one of the few that pretty much did everything by the book

We have always freshly made her bottles, and still do
We used cotton wool and water till 6mnths
Dont put anything on her skin. Just use a night time bath and shampoo

But she does watch TV. she adores Mr Tumble. and now I have sussed she likes being warm at night her room is 24 degrees and has full sleepsuit and 1 tog bag. HV would have a fit that I was over heating her

This isn't so much going against expert advice as it is my own laziness (and stupidity)....

We used the pre-made cartons of milk until James was about 6 months. We must have wasted a bloody fortune BUT at least I knew every single bottle was just dandy and didn't have to worry about water temps etc... Also it was so easy, one less thing for me to do so I didn't mind paying for the convenience.

Thankfully my parents used to pick up 10 cartons or so in their weekly shop so it wasn't stupidly expensive!

Now we use powder and I pre-make all bottles with water but add powder as we go.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Love this!
I pre make bottles and add powder. I've given Harry some milky bar, a sip of my coke (when it was hot) a McDonald's chip ( I sucked all the salt off) he loves cbeebies in his jumperoo so I can get myself dressed and ready in the morning and we have cuddles in bed as extra naps after his first morning bottle!!
If he cries too loudly I pop him in the shed from time to time till he quitens down (hehe ok now I'm kidding)
How awful r we all. Terrible terrible mums xxxx

Oh are we not supposed to put them in the shed? It doesn't say that in any of my books xx

Love this!
I pre make bottles and add powder. I've given Harry some milky bar, a sip of my coke (when it was hot) a McDonald's chip ( I sucked all the salt off) he loves cbeebies in his jumperoo so I can get myself dressed and ready in the morning and we have cuddles in bed as extra naps after his first morning bottle!!
If he cries too loudly I pop him in the shed from time to time till he quitens down (hehe ok now I'm kidding)

Ha! And you let him play in the washing basket!! Such a cutie! xx

Sat here giggling at that Heather!!!! So glad I posted the thread now, I was paranoid it was just me and my friend and that you would all tell me I was an awful mum!!!

Phew!!!

Are jumperoos bad? We've been given one as a gift and I can't wait to use it once he's bigger. A friend of mine loves it for her LO. Are they not recommended? Not that I care if they are I'm just curious!

Are jumperoos bad? We've been given one as a gift and I can't wait to use it once he's bigger. A friend of mine loves it for her LO. Are they not recommended? Not that I care if they are I'm just curious!

Apparently They're not good for their hips and legs! But I can't wait to get one when we have pennies!

My lovely little man Spencer 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

Love this!

Ha! And you let him play in the washing basket!! Such a cutie! xx

Oh yes forgot this! Hes allowed to play in the washing basket. Oops xx

Apparently They're not good for their hips and legs! But I can't wait to get one when we have pennies!

My lovely little man Spencer 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

Ony if left for a substantial amount of time. I only left Jack in his walker 30 mins max and at the moment Harry has 5 mins max as his legs are still abit short unless he's standing on a cushion!

Oh and mine gets in the washing basket of his own accord :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375625544.305460.jpg

Sat here giggling at that Heather!!!! So glad I posted the thread now, I was paranoid it was just me and my friend and that you would all tell me I was an awful mum!!!

Phew!!!
Hee hee. No your not an awful mum. I'm sure a lot of mummies break some rules.

I worry all the time about being judged as a mum, in laws judge me because I was so strict when she was wee. I feel now at 8 months it's ok to deviate from routine if need be, like for a special occasion.

I have a friend at work who openly judges me as a mum and stuff I do. He told me I was out of order for saying I'm a good mum when she was only a month old xx

Ony if left for a substantial amount of time. I only left Jack in his walker 30 mins max and at the moment Harry has 5 mins max as his legs are still abit short unless he's standing on a cushion!

View attachment 40816
I don't have a washing basket to put her in, is my daughter missing out? Am I depriving her? Xx

View attachment 40816
I don't have a washing basket to put her in, is my daughter missing out? Am I depriving her? Xx

Yes u rly are. Jumperoo £100 washing basket £3 you decide!x :lol:

Well I looked like an awful mummy today. Wee man is teething something rotten and we were at a friends house. Forgot his calpol but cos my friend has kids she offered some of hers. I had to ask if it was sugar free, looking like I'm a saintly parent concerned with my sugar consumption. When she said yes, I had to say my LO only has full sugar and spits the other stuff out!

Oh and I put LO in his own room at 12 weeks. Best thing we ever did cos he's slept so well since!

We sleep on our tummy

We hold him to sleep and then transfer

We give him the bottle which he invariably falls asleep on

We gave him a dummy

We let him watch TV

and probably many more things too :)

I used to feel guilty then I just thought well he is my baby I look after him everyday, he seems happy enough so stuff em :) xxxx

Oh and he spent a fair bit time in the jumperoo too, he loved it and who am I to deprive him of something he enjoys and at one point it was the only way he would go to sleep :)

by the way he is 14 months and walks perfectly fine :) i'd be more worried about crotch dangler carriers....

We feed him everything we eat.....with salt (not a lot) eeeekkkkk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back