Baby 'Expert' DON'TS that you DO!!

Everything. I dont take notice of "baby experts". I am the expert on my children not some bloke/lass who might not even have any.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

This, 100%! I do all sorts that so called 'experts' frown upon but I know my children, not them!

Love this thread - it's nice to know not everyone is perfect (especially as some would have you believe they are lol!) xxx

Agree!! People do make you believe they are super mum! Glad this is a useful thread for others too!

this is y I don't listen to my hv anymore lol!

we also...
have never used cotton wool, went straight to wipes
started introducing solids at 4 months
rock/feed her to sleep
never used scratch mittens
make up bottles in advance
have tried controlled crying (as a last resort and it worked btw)
dont sterilise anything unless it touches formula since 4months
have the tv on most of the day

as said we know our babies, I listen to all sensible advice and then do what I think is best!

Definetly a good thread!
I have done my own thing since day 1.
I must admit I did all the cotton wool (still do, his bum is too peachy to use wipes all the time) and I weaned a 6 months and i dont give him chocolate or juice but I've always batch made bottles and if he needed to be rocked to sleep or come in bed with us to settle then that's what I've done! And shock horror I let him play with an empty packet of baby wipes!

At the end of the day we are all educated and well informed women and there is enough information out there regarding what to do, it's our own personal choice what we do with our baby! As long as they are healthy it shouldn't matter!

Emmaw and I_maclean you've both summed it up so well. It's not like we do all these things for a laugh or can't be bothered. We've done our research, spoken to other mothers we trust, experimented and done what we have found works best for our LO's and us.

I say it time and time again. But babies are humans too which means they are individuals and will do what they want to. They haven't read the rule book! Technically us grown ups 'should' eat every four hours, get a good 8 hours sleep every night and eat super healthy. But we don't cos we are all different. I don't suddenly panic if I haven't done a poo all day, so why do I panic if my son hasn't?!

Right as long as you lot don't get social services ratta tat tatting on my door ill tell you - im a bad mum-
I pre make the bottles with boiled water and just add formula when needed,
I hardly do tummy time,
I give my 18 month old our veg that's been made in water with a pinch of salt (shock horror)
I don't get my 2nd LO weighed -- I know she is getting bigger myself,
I weened 1st at 5 month,
I have taken my LO to mcdonalds because I was rushing it was raining and the closest place I could think of,
I run there bath warmer than recommended,
I sometimes throw some of 1st DD's clothes in with mine and Non biological powder :O,
I rubbed a tiny bit ice cream on my babys gums the other day when it was warm and she is teething,
Ive used wipes from day one.

And there both alive and healthy and doing fine! x

Last edited:
We still make formula up with 40 degree water, rather than 70 because we use Hipp. Now they've taken out the good bacteria :cry: I won't be doing any different because it makes a "ready to drink" bottle.

J has all foods in moderation, except seafood. He's had chocolate, cake, chips, ice cream and even a sip of my diet coke. Of all the things he's tried he likes strawberries best.

We've bathed him almost every night of this life (with Johnsons lavender nighttime) because he loves it so much.

I co slept with him when he was tiny and I was BF. I rocked him to sleep about half of the time, if he needed it. He still learnt how to self settle in his own good time and he sleeps through.

I have a baby walker (and a laminate floor) and a jumperoo.

When we go away we don't sterilise bottles, we just put them through the dishwasher. At home we do, but only because it's so easy and quick. I don't think we need to. I've never sterilised any of his drinking cups. When we're out and about he drinks from my camelback and we share.

Touch wood - he's so healthy, he's had one cold in his life and no other infections. He's one of the most cheerful and placid babies I know.

Last edited:
We still make formula up with 40 degree water, rather than 70 because we use Hipp. Now they've taken out the good bacteria :cry: I won't be doing any different because it makes a "ready to drink" bottle.

J has all foods in moderation, except seafood. He's had chocolate, cake, chips, ice cream and even a sip of my diet coke. Of all the things he's tried he likes strawberries best.

We've bathed him almost every night of this life (with Johnsons lavender nighttime) because he loves it so much.

I co slept with him when he was tiny and I was BF. I rocked him to sleep about half of the time, if he needed it. He still learnt how to self settle in his own good time and he sleeps through.

I have a baby walker (and a laminate floor) and a jumperoo.

When we go away we don't sterilise bottles, we just put them through the dishwasher. At home we do, but only because it's so easy and quick. I don't think we need to. I've never sterilised any of his drinking cups. When we're out and about he drinks from my camelback and we share.

Touch wood - he's so healthy, he's had one cold in his life and no other infections. He's one of the most cheerful and placid babies I know.

Totally off topic... but what's a camelback???

My lovely little man Spencer 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

Ladies, thank you all SO MUCH for your contributions, makes me feel normal lol! Keep 'em coming, I'm loving each and every single one!

Hello everyone, my name's heAther and I am a bad mummy.

I take my hot water out with me for my bottles in the bottle.
I let my daughter taste wee bits of my ice cream or cake
I weaned a wee bit eArlier than advised
I have been known to use a normal stock cube for her soup
I let her watch tv so I can do my housework
She sleeps on her tummy since 5 1/2 months, can't stop her,tried didn't work.
I allowed her to watch jeremy kyle the other day cos I didn't want to miss it, she laughed through it

Lastly, I will point blankly refuse to give her my last rolo

I also got into trouble the other day for allowing her to eat waivers, well asdas own version, I ate most of them

I allowed her to watch jeremy kyle the other day cos I didn't want to miss it, she laughed through it

lmao I love this! esp the last rolo...

This is a totally refreshing thread. You sometimes think you have a secret when you do some things as its against the advice!

I also pre-make 6 bottles at a time with water and then just add the powder when needed. My LO also gets his formula at room temperature as hes quite happy drinking it that way.

We are bathing him every couple of days and using a top to tail washing product.

I keep forgetting to do tummy time

Oooohhh I'm in the bad mummy club!

I let B eat everything except nuts - that includes some of my McDonald's chips!
I've co slept and loved it.
I stopped sterilising at 5 months.
We weaned early - although I don't class it as early as it was what B wanted and needed.
I sit him in front of peppa pig so I can have 5 minutes on my ipad!
I enjoy spoiling my son so much that people roll their eyes at me when they see him in designer gear.

You're a good mum letting her watch Jezza! It's setting an example of how you don't ever want your kids to turn out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back