Baby 'Expert' DON'TS that you DO!!

gemmylou

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

No idea if a topic like this exists but couldn't see one scrolling through on my phone.

As the title suggests, what things do you do/not do that contravene what all the 'expert' advice is?

My friend and I were chatting this morning about the guilt you feel when an email pops through that you read, when you realise that you do the opposite thing to that advice! So thought I'd see if anyone else feels guilty and to ease that we'd have a collection of things to make us feel like the fantastic mummies that we all are, expert or not.

So, I'll start.

This morning, an email off a baby website pinged and it was all about sleeping toddlers. They had about 3 experts saying how it was so important for you to NOT be there when baby falls asleep so they can self soothe and sleep through and never to let them fall asleep on the bottle.

Well, James has always fallen asleep on the bottle, with me present, and then been moved into his crib, AND has slept through since he was 4 months old, apart from when he's teething. So against expert advice, probably causing a problem down the line, but he sleeps!!

Please someone else add theirs so I'm not alone!!!

My James is currently watching baby TV (there was a thread on this the other day and the consensus is it's OK in moderation from most Mummies)

However the HV yesterday told me that every moment he is awake he should be on his front?? WTF, he hates tummy time and if I leave him too long he screams so today we're alternating tummy time, reading, playing and a little TV [so Mummy can do some chores!]

xxxx

Everything. I dont take notice of "baby experts". I am the expert on my children not some bloke/lass who might not even have any.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Tv is a godsend for me! If Stevey didn't watch it i would get nothing done! He does not go to sleep in a bottle because i try to give him last one an hour before bed but he does go to sleep on me then i put him in his cot and hes asleep for the night. Unless like above when hes teething then he wakes up abit

- I rock my baby to sleep
- I allow him to watch tv
- I give him baby juice now & again from a doidy cup but "brush his gums" after
- I allow him to suck his thumb

Bad mummy, bad bad mummy. ;)

Everything. I dont take notice of "baby experts". I am the expert on my children not some bloke/lass who might not even have any.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Same!

I know my boys better than anyone, although i do listen to advice and then decide whether to act on it.

The biggest no-no in our house is that Harry's a tummy sleeper!! He will not sleep any other way and believe me i've tried!! He's been sleeping like it since he was 2 weeks old so i doubt there is any changing him now at 5 months x

Well I've started weaning jack at 4 months. Despite being told I'm not allowed to do it till he's at least 6 months. I felt it was the right time. Also I make his bottles up in advance. That is the biggest no no!! Xx

I do everything wrong in HVs eyes! But I know my boy better than anyone and he's a happy, healthy, thriving little boy so I'll carry on doing my thing :)
- the tv is on most of the day on cbeebies (not that he's overly interested anyway other than the odd few programmes)
- he has diluted squash rather than water
- he's slept on his belly since he was tiny
- I make up his bottles in advance
- I'm not overly strict on his diet. Don't get me wrong, he has a very well balanced healthy diet on a day to day basis but I believe everything in moderation (obviously within reason)

The list is endless! Lol xx

Some of the things mentioned I do too!!!

- James has never, NEVER taken to drinking water, despite my every attempt, so he has baby juice to drink out of a cup so that he has had enough fluid.

- Telly is on in the background on Disney Junior. He's not even interested in the programmes, just likes the songs in between!

- I did have the water ready in his bottles too when he was on formula. My mum was a HV at the time and gave me the tip to do it. Once the water had cooled from the kettle, it was fine in the sterilised bottles for 24 hours! She said she wasn't allowed to advise her mums of this though, but she could me as I'm not one of her caseload!!

There's definitely loads more, but I can't list them right now. Agree with what's been said, I know James better than anyone else, and he is both happy and healthy, so that's what matters!!

Some of the things mentioned I do too!!!

- James has never, NEVER taken to drinking water, despite my every attempt, so he has baby juice to drink out of a cup so that he has had enough fluid.

- Telly is on in the background on Disney Junior. He's not even interested in the programmes, just likes the songs in between!

- I did have the water ready in his bottles too when he was on formula. My mum was a HV at the time and gave me the tip to do it. Once the water had cooled from the kettle, it was fine in the sterilised bottles for 24 hours! She said she wasn't allowed to advise her mums of this though, but she could me as I'm not one of her caseload!!

There's definitely loads more, but I can't list them right now. Agree with what's been said, I know James better than anyone else, and he is both happy and healthy, so that's what matters!!

Disney JR is staple telly in our house too! Does James watch the opening credits/music, walk away for the programme then come back for the closing credits/music? Both my boys do lol. Except for Mickey, Oso & The Hive. They'll watch those without moving so that my time to clean or make a cuppa lol

I also make waters for bottles in advance then add powder as we go along.

What naughty Mummies we all are! Hee hee x

Oh yeah, I make batches of bottles too. Tsk! How these kids have survived!

On the whole I listen to the advice, haha! In fact the only thing I've done against advice is ff instead of bf. Oh and thumb sucking.

I've never been advised against giving baby juice/tv/rocking to sleep etc ...

Hahaha, bad mummies the lot of us lol!!

That's exactly what he does! Watches opening titles, bogs off to play/cause mischief, back for the end credits. Watches the first 5 mins of Mickey then toddles off!

Still giggling about "how have these children survived" comment lol!

Yep I batch make bottles and add powder as needed.

xxxx

Yip I batch make too.

A sporadic hour of tv per day.

Didn't faff about with cotton wool and water when he was born, straight to wipes.

My lovely little man Spencer 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

God where to start?!

I do the bottles in advance and now turns out that's the right thing to do cos his of his reflux formula! Confused.com!
I rock him to sleep still at 20 weeks. He also has a dummy for sleeping. Better that than him not sleeping at all!
I started weaning early too but it was on medical advice.
I have been known to plonk him in front of the telly to get him to sit still so I can do his nails!
We used baby wipes and products from early on and shock horror have used Johnsons.
I sing rihanna songs to my son when I can't think of nursery rhymes and have read books off my kindle to him rather than kids books

My HV is proper old school, she always says I should be telling you not to do this but.... And I listen to my mum whose an expert after raising 4 kids. She did all the stuff they say not to now and we did ok.

we don't lie lo on her back to sleep, we lie her on her side as when she started getting colic it would ease it a little so she could sleep and now she cant settle in any other position, not that it really matter as she's moved up the cot and done cartwheels by the morning!

I'm also guilty of making batches of bottles - I always make up 3 last thing at night - with 2oz of boiling water, then cooled off with cooled boiled water...left to cool again for an hour, before popping in the fridge. JJ is sleeping through the night most of the time, but can do the odd 3am wake up cool - and I'm not faffing around with making bottles whilst he is screaming his head off!

I went against my HV advice of trying to get him to feed every 4 hours from 5 days old...try telling a new born that he isn't allowed a bottle! I fed on demand until he was 8 weeks old...bad mummy :)

I use cotton wool/water at home, but do use wipes when we are out somewhere. (HV caught sight of the babywipes in my change bag during our last appt and tutted at me!)

And the one topic that EVERYONE definitely has an opinion on...I intend to start weaning JJ when he is 4 months old this month. He will be introduced very slowly to home made fruit and veggie purees!

Love this thread - it's nice to know not everyone is perfect (especially as some would have you believe they are lol!) xxx

I made per made bottles, used wipes on the first day and rock my boy to sleep, we are naughty mummy's, I also intend to wean when he is 4 months, on the day maybe

Generally I listen to sensible advice, like I researched stuff about weaning etc.

G has just cuddled in beside me on the sofa for a quick power nap. We co-sleep when it suits us, I have little desire to make her "self settle". And I absolutely 'spoil' my baby with cuddles.

The next one will prob be even worse, and the rod for my back will be well and truly made.

Mostly we follow attachment parenting in this house. So that totally goes against the likes of super nanny etc.

Probably thing that most folk would disapprove of is G's eating habits, I've never refused her anything, she gets chocolate, crisps, and she's been known to steal her dads glass of cola, but its all in moderation, and generally it means she doesn't think that things like choc are any more special than the strawberries and grapes she likes so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back