Baby dressed after c sec?

Heres Hoping

Reaction score
Hi ladies, im potentially going to ask a stupid question. Im organising the babys hosp bag & the first little outfit it will be wearing (exciting). As i may be getting a c sec, i know u give the clothes to the mw for them to dress lo but i have a quick question. Ive a special little outfit for lo but was wondering if they are cleaned up straight away & then dressed, or just dressed straight away after a quick rub down? Or am i best saving the good little outfits til after they get cleaned up. Im just thinking of those first photos :)

Tnx hope that question makes sense xx

Ooh I'll be watching this thread cause I've been thinking that very same thing today :) x

O my Lordy I've requested a c section and had no idea lol I thought other half would do it x

After my section baby was wrapped in a towel for first few hours. I didn't dress him until we moved to ward. We had a lot of skin to skin time.

Skin to skin is very good for both mum and baby, so def worth asking for. I believe (although cant remember why) that its even more important after a c-sec cos youve not necessarily had the same 'build up' to birth and accompanying hormone changes.

Some countries get birthing partner/dad to do skin to skin after c-section if mums not able.

Plus Then you can dress LO yourself afterwards. Xxx

Usually wiped and checked by MW. Dad can sometimes trim the cord. In my trust then given to dad in towel to cuddle and show mum and then weighed and ID banded before leaving theatre. Put skin to skin with mum before wheeled out to recovery.

I don't think our LO was dressed straight away, I think my OH did it, but I'm not 100% sure. To be honest, I was that out of it after being induced, a 12 hour labour and then emergency c section, what my baby was wearing was the least of my worries.

I've had 3 c secs, 2 straightforward and one not so much. In my straightforward births baby was checked, weighed and wiped down - wrapped up and given to me/my OH until I was in recovery and I could have skin to skin and breast feed. We didn't dress our baby for a while afterwards once on the ward. They will actively encourage skin to skin and I actually had my first on my chest as I was in theatre and wheeled out. We were together always from then :) OH usually held baby right by me whilst they finished c sec in theatre otherwise x

They don't dress them for a while, they just wrap them up in towels and blankets, hubbie was then asked to dress buba. Not sure the midwife would have done it tbh!
Xxx

God ladies i had an extreme case of baby brain there, i completely forgot about skin to skin lol I def want that & hoped to have it as part of my birth plan, just not sure how it would work in c sec? Hopefully wont have to wait long to get cuddles. At what stage does lo get bathed/properly cleaned up?? Everyone seems to have differant experiences of it. It would be nice to be able to dress lo ourselves but think il put it in a seperate bag anyway so mw or oh know which one to use. Must tell oh that about daddys getting skin to skin, poor little mite though, only in the world to be greeted by a big manly hairy chest lol xx

I got no skin to skin after my c section :-(((( they whipped him off and fed and dressed him right away xxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P.s reason why i thought mw dressed lo is cos u see that on alot of the programmes, that mw asks for clothes & nappy before going to theatre. Wonder could i just put that in birth plan & ask at time for skin to skin until we can dress lo ourselves back on ward? x

I got no skin to skin after my c section :-(((( they whipped him off and fed and dressed him right away xxx

Same here I was gutted to have missed out x and they bottle fed him cos I was still being stitched up :( they asked permission but I was gutted x
I bf as soon as I could then tho in recovery xx

Quinns proud mammy xx Tapatalking xx

They asked my husband if. Was breast or bottle feeding. I didn't mind that because it meant my hubby got to feed him his first ever bottle :) xxx

They usually don't advise a full bath until a day later to allow the vernex to soak in (natures moisturiser). You can ask if for it sooner for exampe if there was meconium liquor and the baby looks like a martian. lol Some labour wards don't have the baby baths and will need to be done on the ward.

I'm so shocked that some ladies never have had skin to skin and their babies were fed before they held them!!! I can't believe that! My OH always put nappy on and dressed.

I've had my children all in different hospitals and all have done the same, skin to skin ASAP and breast feeding was always actively encouraged - actually no mention of formula feeding at all. I breasted my last baby in recovery, as soon as I was wheeled in she was placed on my chest and she was smacking her lips so I whipped her on the boob. She fed so well, the MW was so pleased and said she was a pro.
Lovely experience :)

We had first bath in hospital usually just before being discharged - I was only in 2 days with my last 2 babies - 3 with my first but that was 6 years ago.

The MW's or usually healthcare assistants help with the first bath x

We also never got a first bath, it wasn't even mentioned. Had to do it when we got home xxx

I didn't have a c section but my baby wasn't bathed, no one even mentioned it, but I was told I was being discharged about 12 hours after giving birth because they needed my bed so I wouldn't have expected them to...! Safe to say I'll be going to a different hospital if I'm blessed with another baby!

I didn't have a section but had very limited skin to skin (due to baby being in birth canal for ages and needing to see a Pediatrician immediately due to initial low APGAR score..)

MW actually showed OH how to dress baby whilst other MW was checking me over.

xxxxx

Last edited:
I had skin to skin for a long time, probably 2 hours, then a health care assistant put a nappy on him and then gave him back to me and had him on me all night long! Was very scared when I woke up because he was still just laying on my chest and I was petrified that I may have dropped him!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back