Baby clothing sizing in different shops

mrsc86

Reaction score
Hi girls

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the lovely weather.

I have noticed the newborn sizing differs in most shops with it newborn being up to 7lbs 8oz in Next and then newborn up to 9lbs in Asda for example.

For your hospital bags/first week at home are you ladies just buying newborn size or is it best to have newborn and up to one month clothing in?

The next newborn just seems so small and I am a little worried it may not even fit so I don't want to go mad and buy too many newborn sizes

Thanks for your help
X

I'll be taking in 3x newborn sleep suits & vests from asda & 3x 0-3month sleep suits & vests, also from asda.
Odds are one of those will defo fit unless I have a very tiny baby.
I don't know what the weight is on the newborn ones tho sorry x

Thanks very much. It just came to me that I am buying newborn only.
I will hit the shops this weekend
X

I took 3 x newborn sleep suits and vest and 3 x up to 1 month sleep suits and vests. All from Next. Baby was 7lbs 10oz and lost 11% of her birth weight. She's 2.5 weeks and still in newborn ones now but is beginning to fill them out a bit. I'd buy a couple of first and next size if I were you. Xxx

Thank you very much for the advice ��

It's weird because Next have always been more generously sized than other stores, but this recent (Spring Summer 16) collection seems to be smaller.

Just for what it's worth, my auntie's foster baby only outgrew George "first size" (up to 9lb) vests and babygrows a few weeks ago when he weighed between 11lb and 12lb. Similarly a few 0-3m vests were outgrown at a similar time (by around 12lbs) but he's quite long.
He was 4 weeks early and only weighed around 10lb at 12 weeks old, he was long but light. He's gaining quickly now and weighed 12lb about 2 weeks ago and must be going on for 14lb now.
He has Next 0-3m babygrows that claim "up to 14lb" and they still fit with a little room, but he has already outgrown a BHS vest & trousers which also claim up to 14lb lol.

I know what you mean about sizing, I was showing my 12yr old today. I have a couple of newborn sleepsuits and some newborn vests (all the same brand) that are over an inch longer than other brands' 0-3m vests and babygrows.
It's crazy.

That said I haven't washed any yet so may find they shrink a bit..
I'll be washing everything at the weekend and then put them away in size order with larger stuff at the bottom lol.

My 1st was 9lb 9 2nd 8lb 8 and 1st never wore newborn and 2nd just for a.week or 2 so I've only bought 1 pack of newborn vests and sleepsuits atm the rest are all 0-3 months

I'm taking one vest and sleepsuit in first size and one in newborn for my labour bag (plus another in each size for my overnight bag). My first was 6.13 and absolutely swamped by newborn clothes (which was all we'd bought). Hope I don't end up with a 10lb-er this time!

Last edited:
That's like me Maud.
My first was 5lb 15oz and in tiny baby for ages. Second was 6lb 11oz but dropped to 6lb by day 5 and only at birth weight at 15 days old so was also in tiny baby for a few weeks (then gained really quickly lol).

So this time I'm completely clueless as it could be small like the other two or could be a lot bigger!

But, judging by what my auntie's baby is wearing and what he's weighed when outgrown certain items, I think even if the baby is 9lb they'd fit the newborn items for at least the first week lol.

My last baba was a whopping 9lb 13 and although that sounds huge he was still in Asda first size for a good while before we had to put him in 0-3. I'm having a boy again this time and I've only bought first size/newborn for this 1 again. I find Asdas 0-3 stuff is huge :eek: xx

My daughter was 7lbs bang on when born and was in tiny baby which was up to 6lbs for a good few weeks... Newborn til she was almost 3 months old then very behind with sizing of 0-3 etc. So I'm just taking newborn up to 9lbs with me to the hospital this time xx

My son only just squeezed into newborn after he was born and I gave most of the newborn clothes away without being worn but he was 11lbs!

Last edited:
I'm taking new born sized my eldest was 7,9 when she was born and all her new born clothes were HUGE on her

Oh my God I am so frustrated with it HAHA

I went through ALL the baby clothes today and folded and put away anything 3m+ and everything in newborn and 0-3 I sorted for washing (I've washed lights/whites but not coloured items yet).

BUT, I have so many items in 0-3 that are the same size as other things that are 3-6. I don't get it. It's going to be so confusing lol.

I'm planning to put vests and babygrows in the drawers in size order (smallest on top, bigger stuff underneath) and all the rompers and trousers/outfits I'm hanging up so will be able to see which are bigger. Once the baby has outgrown newborn and is in 0-3 I'll have to wash the 3-6 and get them out of storage.

Phoenix I have sorted them all in size order too in different drawers - It is just so confusing lol I have newborn all in one drawer then 0-3 in the next drawer lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back