Baby clothing sizes??????

Geordie&Bairn

Reaction score
Hi any help will be welcome
Im not supposed to buy stuff my man wont let me but that another story. #Anyway i sneekily have bought stuff today
A full newborns set 71b size
A tshirt and trouser set 71b
And an outdoor body coat 71b
Now i am so confused about getting the right sizes
New born can mean early prem then youve got 71b 91b and 11,1b
Now how the hell can you prepare by buying clothes for a child you will not know the size of till it's born :?
I dont wont ot get to big because it will swap my baby but if i get to small then it will be usless and a waste of money.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
HELP what do i do?????

I've got a variety of sizes! Newborn, some 7-11 lbs a few a bit bigger. i doubt il have a small baby so im going for the bigger end of the newborn sizes but i find it a bit confusing too!!

I feel like taking it all back now
i really can t aford to waste the money i spent most was on sale and the lot came to £26 pound (i bought a hat and 2 sets of scratch mittens as well)
If the baby is bigger then 71b then ill have wasted the money i HATE wasting money.
But to me the 71b looked big enough ( denile that anything bigger could possibly come out of such a small area PAINFUL)
The place i bought them only had those sizes anyway
Oh c***
I think my boy could be a biggy so i'll take them back saturaday
I really enjoyed buying them too :(
confused and in a right old HUFF now :shakehead:

my boy was 8lb7 and no newborn stuff fitted him.. he is still in early baby outfits... newborn things you will use.. just get babygrows from now on coz friends n family will buy loads

Take the birth weight of yourself and your partner and find the average, thats as good a guess as any as to the weight of your baby, assuming you go to term and don't have any complications.

I thought my baby was going to be about 9.5 pounds, so I only bought 3 newborn baby grows, everything else I got in 0-3.

Mind you sizes vary alot from store to store!

I bought some newborn and some 0-3 months clothes when I was for pregnant. Jake was 7lb 2oz born and wore the newborn clothes for about 8 weeks before wearing the 0-3 months clothes. If I was you I would only buy a few newborn items and then if you want to buy more get 0-3 months. Remember not to buy loads because when the baby is born you will probably get clothes as gifts and you will end up buying lots of pink or blue anyway(depending on the sex of your baby).
I'm not sure where you bought your baby clothes but Mothercare's sizing is

Early baby: Up to 5lb
Tiny Baby: Up to 7.5lb
Newborn: Up to 10lb
0-3 months: Up to 14.5lbs

Most baby clothes sizing is the same or nearly the same as this.

The sizes are the same with adults, its varies from shop to shop, if you understand that?? Scarlett still wears some 0-3 month clothes as they are huge. I had a mixture of sizes but she was only 6lb. By the time i was at home with her all my family had been out and brought me small babies clothes. Dont panic its nothing to worry about honestly!

To be perfectly honest there is no rhyme or reason for baby's clothes! Finlay was outgrowing newborn stuff from the moment he arrived, yet other 0-3 stuff (Next's stuff) is on the big side and other clothes he's wearing are 3-6 mths! The teeny baby stuff at Matalan was huge on him and he was 7lbs 8oz at birth - haven't tried the Tshirts recently. He only just grew into his snowsuit which was 0-3 and then out grew it in about a month!

If you bought them from Mothercare or Adams, in my experience, the sizes are big. 11lb means 0-3 months, so 7lb means newborn. Ryan was 8lb 7oz born but still fit Mothercare and Adama 7lb sizes for ages. I found Asda and Primark sizes most accurate, when he was 3 months he was just growing out of his 0-3's. But saying that at nearly 5 months he still wears awkward sizes (hes 6-9 months in babygrows, 3-6 in vests, 0-3 in trousers and t shirts). So any guess is as good as any other lol :)

I've just bought 0-3 mths. Most are just vests and babygros. They do look quite big, but if he's small, he'll grow into them.

I've only bought one set of newborn (sleepsuit, vest, hat, mits and socks) and a spare sleepsuit (both on sale and less than £8 all up) and the rest is 0-3 months.

Even if our LO fits newborn chances are it'll only be for a couple of weeks. I was 8lb plus and hubby was also, so :)

I'd rather get the wear out of 0-3 than spend too much on newborn but that's just me. Besides, if I do need smaller I can always go buy it once baby is here. Easy enough to send Hubby on a run into Mothercare or some place and buy a pile of sleepsuits and vests. Actual clothes in newborn size I'm not even bothering about. Don't hold with trying to keep dressing a LO in clothes when a sleepsuit is so much easier to mange and comfy. Most of my 0-3 is like that also. Only have a couple of actual outfits of clothes.

Sherlock said:
Actual clothes in newborn size I'm not even bothering about. Don't hold with trying to keep dressing a LO in clothes when a sleepsuit is so much easier to mange and comfy. Most of my 0-3 is like that also. Only have a couple of actual outfits of clothes.

Good plan, I recommend that to others too :) The little outfits are great once you've got the hang of things, but sleepsuits and vests are your essentials :) I took Ryan out in a sleepsuit today and didn't care.

haven't read through everyone elses replies so sorry if I am repeating what anyone else has said:

I would personally only buy a few outfits in Newborn & 0-3, as you will be surprised just how many people will buy you things when baby is here. Also, I would recommend buying most things a bit closer to baby's birth, and just get the absolute bargains while the sales are still on, and then only washing & having ready a couple of outfits (show OH how to work the washing machine for the rest after bubs is here....!!), then keep the tags on everything else (something I wish I had done) so you can take back anything you don't get the use out of.
Don't be afraid to do this with gifts either, I changed a few gifts for the same thing in a different size once Lib was born so that I would get more wear out of them, as she got soooooo much stuff in size 0-3 it was ridiculous, so I exchanged stuff for size 3-6.

Libby wore only sleepsuits for the first couple of months other than to take a few pis in some outfits that people had bought her, as they were so much more convenient :D

Sherlock said:
Actual clothes in newborn size I'm not even bothering about. Don't hold with trying to keep dressing a LO in clothes when a sleepsuit is so much easier to mange and comfy.

I was exactly the same, Clark wore nothing but sleepsuits and vests when he was in newborn, even though I had bought him some proper little outfits, it didn't seem fair to put his tiny tummy in elasticated trousers or put him through the trauma of trying to fit jumpers and tops over his head! Once he was about 8 weeks I started putting him in outfits for the day then sleepsuits at night, that was about the same time he started to wear 0-3 sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back