Baby Clothes - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Cookie24, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Cookie24

Cookie24 Well-Known Member

I am thinking about staying team yellow and now I'v had my 12 week scan and baby is fine I want to start buying a bit of baby clothes. I'm planning on saving up money so when the baby is born and I feel ready then I will go on a baby shopping spree, however I would like a months supply of baby clothes just in case my recover is longer (for example if I had a c sec and so on)

What age clothes do I buy for, do I just stick to newborn which goes up to 10lbs? Would that last me a month until I go on my baby shopping or should I buy some 0-3months. So confused lol any suggestions??

Thank you X

2. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

Hey cookie!

Aww team yellow is lovely, I wanted to be team yellow but changed my mind lol.

It's hard to know how much to buy for neutral.... I've already shopped right up until 6-9 months and I have about 6 baby grows and 6 vests in each size and the odd day wear outfit. So we have wnough but could do with a few more outfits but don't forget people buy so much for you when the baby is born and if you are having a baby shower then people will just overload you lol.

So maybe get newborn and 0-3 and just enough to use like 6 grows and vests or something in each size then you can add to it when you know what you've had?

3. Cookie24

Thank you for your reply

Yer my partner is trying to change my mind about team yellow lol however if they said it was a girl then I wouldn't believe them as that's what happened last time and the baby was a boy haha!

I'm just trying to decided whether newborn would be OK for the first couple of weeks X

#3 Cookie24, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  4. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

Oh god they got it wrong?! Poor girl bet that was confusing lol!!

Yeah the reason I found out was because my little girl really wanted to know and so did my partner so I gave in haha.

Yeah newborn should be alright shouldn't it? I've heard of the odd baby that doesn't fit into it for long but my little girl was in newborn for the first 3 months she was so tiny! Xx

5. Mictho29

Mictho29 Well-Known Member

I'd get a few 0-3 as my first was 9.9 and newborn didn't fit we were team yellow but as soon as she was born we went and bought everything pink and didn't used most of neutral so I wouldn't go mad a buy too much!! 2nd was 8.8 and newborn only fitted for a few wks so this time i have mainly bought 0-3 and only a couple of newborn and if she turns out small enough I'm sure family will go buying so will ask for newborn xx

#5 Mictho29, Apr 9, 2016
  6. Cookie24

I know lol, my mum had to go to town and change all the clothes to boys ! It's been so long since I'v had a newborn (my youngest is 3) that I can't remember what clothes I brought first time round, luckily I packed a white outfit to take with me X

7. Cookie24

Both of my babies have been in the 7lb mark. I might get a few 0-3months as I think this baby might be long X

8. Mictho29

Mictho29 Well-Known Member

This being my 3rd eldest is 8 youngest 5 so I agree it's hard to remember what they need! I keep having a nightmare she will turn out to be a boy lol xx

9. Cookie24

Yer it's never 100% however maybe get a 4d scan to confirm. X

10. Flo1

Flo1 Well-Known Member

Maybe sizes are different in the UK. We had 2 pyjamas in newborn size which fitted the first 3 days and no longer and heard the same of friends. So we only buy 0-3 this time, but as I said maybe sizes are different!

11. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

I've not found out and I have tonnes of clothes lol!!!

Kid Colour (online website) is really good for fun/colourful gender neutral clothes, although everyone tends to associate pink as being a girl, dress your baby in any colour other than pink and they are automatically assumed to be a boy :roll:

Anyway, I'm quite happy to dress a boy in pink so I've happily bought all colours and any clothing I liked lol.

Sizing is frustrating. I have bought mostly Frugi clothing as they use organic cotton and they are 'cut for cloth' (they are roomier around the bottom for a cloth nappy which is a bit bulkier than a disposable, and I'm exclusively using cloth nappies).
    However they generally come up as big all over.

I have 0-3m vests by Frugi that are the exact same size as one I bought off "kid colour" that claims to be "9months" :eh:

Also I have 6 babygrows all the exact same size, 2 are Frugi "newborn", two are Jojo maman bebe "tiny baby" and 2 are "blooming tots" size "0-3" :roll:

Generally with my last babies I found Next to be big (my babies were both small at birth but right up to 3/4yrs old they only fit in one size as they were leaving that age range, eg at 6 months they finally fit 3-6m clothes, at 9 months they went into 6-9 and so on lol)

Also I got "tiny baby" clothes for them from Boots and Next and they fit into them until around a pound heavier than the weight (like we had some that said 'up to 7lb' that the fit til they were over 8lbs. My eldest weighed 5lb 15oz at birth and went into some 'early baby' clothes from Boots that said "up to 5lb' and fit them til they weighed 7lb!

I think newborn vests will be fine, and any footless rompers. The only thing that might be quickly grown out of is sleepsuits/babygrows with feet, but even then I would think it would fit at least a month unless you have a huge baby.

Only other thing I've heard is that current range Next sleepsuits have small feet, a lot of people have said their baby's feet were too big (long) for the feet so maybe consider that x

Also remember babies lose a bit usually and don't get back to birth weight until around 2 weeks old (usually). So if they were 8lb born they shouldn't be 9lb until around 3/4 weeks old (if they lose some, get back to 8lb at 2 weeks, then gain around 7oz a week)

#11 Phoenix85, Apr 9, 2016
  12. Babygiz

Babygiz Well-Known Member

I won't go mad. We literally bought a couple of outfits for my first then our lovely friends bought us so many clothes he was knitted out till about 9 months. They grow so quickly and I felt so guilty when they hadn't worn an outfit or had only worn it a hand full of times.

13. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

My wee one was 7lb 3 and quite long, he was in first size/newborn for a month, then went into 0-3 :shock:

I had loads of lovely 0-3 that I wanted to put on him but had to wait :lol:

xxxx

14. inky

inky Well-Known Member

I would leave some of the buying until nearer the time as you might be given an idea of baby's weight. My son was in newborn size for a couple of weeks and then into 0-3 months. I assumed my daughter would be the same but she arrived a bit earlier than expected so once she was born OH had to rush out and buy some prem size clothes because the newborn stuff was massive on her. She didn't fit into newborn until she was about 6 weeks and wasn't in 0-3 until she was 3 months old.

15. SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady Well-Known Member

Maybe mostly 0-3, then a couple of baby grows that are a bit bigger in case you have a whopper! Xx

16. Cookie24

Thanks guys X x