Baby carrier

Beeee

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

OH and I would like to purchase a baby carrier (not a sling).

Do you have any recommendations?

The reason why I'm not getting a sling is because OH does not like the idea of them at all. (I've tried talking him into liking them but failed miserably lol)

Watching for info too xx

Have you got any sling libraries near where you live? We have an amazing one in Sheffield and it's run by a gp. She fits the slings or Carriers to you and you can loan them for a few weeks to see if you like them before purchasing. I has a close caboo sling when my last baby was new born and it was great. I also had a sleepy Nico when she was older and that was great and easy to use. Please do a bit of research and try and talk your husband around as high street baby carries like baby Bjorn can be pretty uncomfortable and there are so many other options. X

What do you mean by sling exactly? Only some people mean a long piece of fabric that you tie around you, and others mean a "pouch" which the baby's cradled in.

Also what kind of age are you looking to use it from? Personally I like a wrap from newborn to about 3 months and a mei tei after.

We have the babybjorn miracle carrier we got it 2nd hand for just £30. We haven't used it yet but we got it mainly for OH (I'll be using the pram) and the reviews are great and it seems very sturdy. We've washed it too and it washes lovely.

I have tried all the soft structured carriers out there and the 2 best by far are the Boba and the Tula (I like the Tula best personally).

As for a wrap the moby is great!

Have you got any sling libraries near where you live? We have an amazing one in Sheffield and it's run by a gp. She fits the slings or Carriers to you and you can loan them for a few weeks to see if you like them before purchasing. I has a close caboo sling when my last baby was new born and it was great. I also had a sleepy Nico when she was older and that was great and easy to use. Please do a bit of research and try and talk your husband around as high street baby carries like baby Bjorn can be pretty uncomfortable and there are so many other options. X

Oooooh, where can I find out more about this sling library?? I'm from Sheffield so am really interested in this xx

If it's a buckle carrier you're after rather than a wrap or a ring sling then I highly recommend a Connecta. You can use from newborn without any inserts and is safe to use rather than baby Bjorns etc which are not ideal for baby's hips and spine.
There's a Facebook page where you can get more info x

Beee, you can get a buckle carrier that looks more like the Babybjorn but is an ergonomic carrier - Try the Ergo (lol) https://www.babyandco.com/highchair...rier-outback?gclid=CIL1kcOYq84CFROZGwodg1cPAA

If he won't go for that, I'd recommend seeing if a sling library near you can a) let him try out a bjorn or similar high street carrier and then compare it to an ergonomic carrier like a Tula/Beco/Ergo etc or a fabric sling/wrap, the difference in comfort will soon be apparent. And b) explain to him that a baby ought to be sat on their bottom in a seated position, not dangling.

Thank you everyone! So helpful! I'm going to check out a sling library for definite.

Oooooh, where can I find out more about this sling library?? I'm from Sheffield so am really interested in this xx

There is a huge sling community in Sheffield. Just search for Sheffield slings on facebook X there are loads of events all over Sheffield every week X

I have an ergo, it's great. Hubby wears it happily & it's much better for the little ones hips & legs. Also a lot comfier to wear than the baby bjorn I had previously!

I'm having to re-think carriers for us too so I'm very glad to have found this thread. :)
We did try a funki flamingo wrap after seeing positive reviews on here, but unfortunately had to send it back because neither I nor my DH or little miss for that matter, could get along with it. :(
We were given a mothercare 3-way-carrier by a friend but I think the newborn head support cushion is missing and I'm really struggling to find it sold separately, and I'm also worried about her leg positioning. We're going away camping when little miss will be 11 weeks old so would ideally like to have her in a carrier with the correct support by then as we don't have an all terrain pushchair yet.
Just looking into Sling library too - thanks for the links Phoenix! Also going to look at a Connecta - thanks MrsT.
Does anyone know how long they have to be carried in the frog leg position for?

I've just found this website which looks interesting and I'm very tempted! :dance:
I've joined a local sling library group on facebook too, but they seem really pricey for hiring (some of which can be bought for the price they are asking? :think: ) but the website I found looks very reasonable!
Anyone heard of them/used them before?

I've joined a local sling library group on facebook too, but they seem really pricey for hiring (some of which can be bought for the price they are asking? :think: )

Sling libraries usually charge a hire fee of about £10 but ask you to pay the full cost of the sling (or around £60 or so) which they refund you when you return it.

Last edited:
My OH only found the baby bjorn "manly" enough for him. :rolleyes:

Its a faff if you both want to use it as the straps need adjusting for each of you but looks good and is very supportive on your back. I ended up buying myself a separate ring sling after I visited a local sling library to keep her in and my hands free for jobs around the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back