Baby can't sleep help needed

tlc1974

Reaction score
My baby girl is nearly 7 weeks old and since swapping from breast to bottle (I couldn't produce enough milk for her) she has suffered with wind problems. I wind before during and after a feed and when I put her down for a sleep she will only sleep for under an hour as she wakes up with more wind and this continues until her next bottle. By her last bottle at 11.00pm she is absoutly exhauseted and her eyes are all puffy and she hardly takes any milk because she just wants to sleep. She will then go for 3 hours without waking up with wind but I just think this is because she is so tired.

I have tried infacol, gripe water, dentinox and now colief but nothing stops this wind and nothing gets it up until she has slept for a while. At er 6 week check up the doctor said she had excessive rumblings in her stomache and to go back after trying the colief for 2 weeks. I dont think I can see her so upset for another week as the colief isn't working. I just wondered if anybody else had this problem.

I have tried tommee tippee bottles, and she is now on avent stage 2 with omnio comfort. The omnio comfort is meant to be used with a variable flow teat but that is only for 3 months plus and it just ended up all over her as it was too fast. I have also tried aptimal thinking it might be the milk but she was the same on that also.

I am also concerned that she is not getting enough milk in a day as sometimes she will only have 3 oz but normally it is 4 oz she is 10.5 lbs now and I think she should be taking at least 5 oz but sometimes it takes an hour just ti get 4 oz in her and by then she has had enough.

I feel so helpless as I dont know what else to do for her.

Can anybody offer any suggestions????

The Dr Browns bottles are supposed to be brilliant with wind, but are expensive.

Also have you thought about using a sling? If you keep her upright as much as possible during the day it will help getting every little bit of wind up.

A sling might help, also with Libby I used to keep her upright for a certain amount of time after a feed, so lie her against my sholder. If she fed for up to 25 mins, I'd keep her upright for 10 minutes after a feed, if she fed for more than 25 mins I'd keep her upright for 20 minutes.

Obviously, when you're tired at night it difficult, so I'd keep her upright for as long as I could bear to keep my eyes open, then put her down and try to get to sleep.

Also, lying her face down along your forearm (your arm with hand palm up, and her head where your elbow is lying along your arm....but face down - hard to describe) this helped too as the slight pressure of your arm on the tum would help release the wind.

Have you tried baby massage too? That could help movement in the tummy.

Let us know how you get on :hug:

Hey hun

:hug: :hug: we went through this with amber and was horrible seeing her so upset etc and not being able to do anything for her. I found having her on my shoulder and slightly bouncing her helped get hers up. I also put her in her moses basket and rocked her in a dim light at night until she would nod off and now to get her to bed we put music on for her softly and it works a treat.

I know you have tried gripe water but i found this has been the only thing to have settled her.

I know how frustrating it is and tiring hun, luckily amber is 12 weeks now and it has passed she started getting better after 8 weeks.

Did you put the dentinox etc in with the feed? Just a thought because if so maybe this is putting LO off eating?

I really hope this gets better for you hun and LO settles.

Thanks for the replies, I have thought about a sling but the health visitor called today and said she doesnt think it is to do with wind from the bottle as she gets her wind up fine, she thinks it is some gastro problem as she is producing so much wind between bottles. She still produces wind 4 hours after having her bottle, I am now trying SMA LF to rule out an intollerance and after that I dont know what they will suggest but it is definately not normal and she is suffering due to lack of sleep.

We had exactly the same problem with Tom when he was little. His wind used to wake him up constantly.
It turned out to be silent reflux and colic.
I really put my foot down and got an appointment to see a paediatrician who put him on some medication which really sorted it out.
It's SO hard for all of you. I would go back to your doctor asap and really insist you get a referral.
Lucyx

I had the same problem with Liam. It really hard to watch him in so much pain. It sounds to me as if your doing everything you can just now. It does settle down eventually. I know thats not much consolation now though.

Liam finally seemed to sort himself out when I actually stopped giving him all the medications for wind. Though he does still get an upset tummy if I give him any other milk except comfort.

I hope it improves for you soon. xx

LucyBee what medication did they give you? I got to see a paediatrician and they said the symptoms sound like reflux and gave us infant gaviscon. I have been using this since Thursday but it doesn't seem to have made any difference in fact I think things are actually worse as Maisie now only sleeps for 8 - 10 hours and is even worse at night and this was her best time. I don't know what else to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back