Baby Blues - Advice needed please

First Baby White

Reaction score
Who has them and how long did they last??

Harry is 6 days old and I cant stop crying, I love my little man so much and cry just looking at him cause I worry about bad things happening to him that are out of my control. Also I am feeling so under pressure with breast feeding, i dread every time he cries as I know its another feed he wants and nothing else will settle him. The nights are the worst as he wants constant feeds from 6pm till 2 in the morning and I feel i cant cope. I dont wanna give up breast feeding as I feel so close to him but Icant handle how demanding it is. Also I feel like I am stuck in the house as I cant predict when he will need feeding. I am a very negative person as it is and have an over active imagination and sometimes picture bad things happening and cant get the images out my head and this is happening where I can see bad things happening to Harry like being shaken to hard etc. I am starting to resent Harry for crying and constantly wanting feeding and I dont want to feel like this.
DH is saying it is my hormones and baby blues but I am petrified I am getting PND already???
I am not sure that it might just be lack of sleep and Harry's constant demand for feeds that are causing it but I know that iant going to get better for a long time and I just dont think I can cope. I love Harry very much and he is so wanted, i really dont want to want to miss out on enjoying his first few weeks so am hoping it will pass as baby blues. I am so scared when I am pushed to the limit I could hold baby to tight or something.
Has anyone experienced this or got any advice as I would love to know how you coped and it paned out???

Have you told your mw about this? It doesnt sound like anything unnormal, so dont be worried.
The best thing is to keep talking about it. I didnt want to read and run but heres a big :hug: :hug: :hug:

When i first had Angel i felt the same. I never realised how often they needed feeding and how hard it was. But stick to it. At about 2 weeks i got to my limit and was tempted to switch to bottles, but i stuck at it and within a few days we had it sussed.
I was in tears alot, i used to hand her to OH and sit on the bathroom floor crying. I was a bad mum, doing a rubbish job etc. But, and i know it sounds like ages away, by the time she was a month old i felt loads better. I was frustrated coz i was so self conscious and daren't leave the house as i daren't feed in public. But now i'll do it anywhere! I surprise myself more than anyone else!
If you still feel like it in a week or 2 then have a word with your HV. She gave me a questionnaire at her 6 week check and queried one of my answers but i put it down to my personality and she was fine.

I would have a chat with your midwife about it when you see her next just in case. It might just be lack of sleep though :hug: :hug:
Breastfeeding is so hard and exhausting to begin with, I did nothing but feed Logan constantly for weeks, but once you get to about 3 or 4 weeks it gets a lot easier. In the long run its a much much easier than formula feeding. Its much nicer sitting on the sofa feeding your baby than being in the kitchen washing, sterilising and preparing bottles. Its much easier when out too. Ive just had to switch to formula from breastfeeding and feel a lot more tired from having to get out of bed to warm bottles.
If you do decide to switch to formula though there's nothing wrong with that.
I think whether you're bottle feeding or breastfeeding its important to forget about when they want feeding and try and get out and about. I found it much easier putting Logan in a sling and learning to breastfeed him in it. I find being out in the fresh air helps lift my mood when im feeling down.
Its a huge change becoming a mum so its bound to take a bit of getting used to, I hope you're feeling better soon :hug: :hug:

My baby blues kicked in on day 2 and 3 and then again when my DH returned to work 2 weeks later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back