Babies and TV

B81292

Reaction score
I'm probably going to come across as a really bad mum but honestly just realised this could be a big issue so please don't judge me , I just wanted to know your opinions on this because it's very divided ...

Basically we have our TV on nearly all day mainly as background noise (I'd say from 3pm to 9pm) . I always turn my LG away from the screen but yesterday she started to turn round to try and watch it which really freaked me out ... Only once have I turned her to face the screen when I had to clean up a spill in the kitchen and it was 5 mins max. Can background tv damage infant development ? It's also on in the evening as well as we both fall asleep to it - DD can sleep through it and in silence but even this is worrying me too... Am I causing her damage for the long run!?

Hi how old is your lo? CBeebies is on in my house alot during the day. My 2 year old will watch for maybe 10min max before moving onto something else and my 7 month old will sometimes face the screen but only for a few minutes just to see the colours. Personally as long as you are not using the tv as a baby sitter and leaving them to watch hour after hour I really don't see the harm. Try not to worry it doesn't seem as though your lo watches the tv at all.

Thanks lovely ... She's 10 weeks x

Our tv is on loads, just as background noise or entertainment between playing for my 2.5 yr old. My 12 week old will sometimes be looking at the screen. It's pretty much always CBeebies in our house xx

Pretty sure your 10 week old will forget the existence of your tv 5 mins after you turn it off.

They will just be attracted to the flashing colours and sound. I imagine parking a 4 year old in front of a tv for hours on end wouldn't be great for their development. But think your newborn will be fine!

Jackson got 30 mins TV time in the morning so I could get the house set up for the day. Have a wash etc then Id put some music on and either tidy up round him or play with him on his mat etc.

The tv went on at teatime again for us and dinner but as long as baby isnt spending all day sitting infront of and watching the TV then its fine.

Jackson loved the music channel when he was tiny. I remember sitting up at 4am with j not sleeping and the only thing keeping him quiet was lying in his doughnut watching Nicki Minaj on the telly. Such a vivid memory.

xxxx

Aw man I must be a terrible mum cos my lo watches telly a lot in the house lol! I don't mind so much and it's never on at meal times and we are out the house a lot so she's a well stimulated lg. Us mums need to sometimes do what we have to do to get though the day and not beat ourselves up just cos books or other people say somethings wrong! Like someone else said, at 10 weeks it would have been forgotten 2 mins later x

They have short attention span but constant stimulation isnt good.

Obviously if its on in the background its not too bad as they tend to totter about andmgo between tv and tpys or not bother depending whats on. Jackson watched the adverts lol direct line one esp.

Now hes 3 and the telly is on kind of mostly when we are in he gets time to watch a few of his shows before dinner then its usually judge rinder or something with dinner then bed.

Hes got a tablet that he gets now and then and he watches shape vids and at 3 he can tel you more shapes than me and how many sides and angles they have. Technology is ok limited.

xxxx

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure your little one will be ok. I personally haven't read any studies about it or anything scientifically based but I'm sure as along as at some point they are getting a break from it then your ok x

I'm sure it's fine. My daughter has had tv on whilst eating since she was 5 months old (not hours of it, but just enough to get her to eat her food). My son's nowhere near as bothered and will walk away from it. It's usually just on while eating and only during the week - at weekends we all eat together at the table. They're old enough now to play in their room while I get jobs done or just take a break from things!

We had the TV on pretty much the whole time when LO was tiny - had to to keep me sane as was stuck on sofa pretty much all day. Once she got more aware of surroundings we reduced it and now we only have it on for news in the morning and pointless in the afternoon (just became tradition as it means daddy is on way home!) plus she occasionally gets to watch Mr tumble or some peppa pig. I don't really want her watching much TV and feel guilty that it is on that much. Not sure what we will do when baby 2 comes along.

Last edited:
Peppa pig is banned in our house.

Jackson has been saying things like "im sorry" when he falls over or bumps something I didnt think much of it. The other day he then said "Im sorry, its all my fault" and I just felt so bad and got me thinking even if something was his fault, ive never ever said Oh that was your fault, checked neither has my mum.

Peppa pig was on the other day and I noticed shes overly apologetic and although thats not the worst thing in the world, I dont want Jackson going around thinking all harmless accidents or even simple bumps were his fault. He also says I dont knowwwwwww for everything. He doesnt even watch her that much he more prefers Mr Maker and Thomas? So have decided not to have her on.

I read an artical somewhere saying she was a bad influence because shes always talking back to her parents etc and didnt take notice. Now I am realizing how impressionable toddlers are.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back