Awful! Can't express any more

ISH

Reaction score
This is so sudden, I was pumping loads, sometimes more than the baby could have, and now I just can't any more. The milk is there and I can bf, but no letdown when I pump. I am absolutely distraught, if I can't express any more everything may be compromised, I've got a very sore nipple that I can't let the baby feed from without crying in pain.

The only thing that's changed is that I have a cold, but no idea how that could affect letdown, or if it's related at all.

Is the pump still functioning properly with a good seal? What about massaging your boob before/during to get the flow going?

Are you able to hand express at all?

Could it b thrush? I have it just now it very painful kind of burns.
Are u rushing the pumping? It takes a while for my milk to flow using the pump, i have to b really relaxed and give it a few mins otherwise it foot flow. Double check its all working correctly, i once hadn't put a valve in right I've also had my hair or clothes between the seal and my boob that also stops it working.
Do u have a support group or worker locally? They are also a great help with things like expressing too. Don't panic yet as your still able to feed your baby but get ur nipple checked sooner rather than later

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I find if I look at a picture of LO or have LO near that helps! Also someone told me to express off one boob whilst feeding off the other! Haven't tried this myself I think it sounds hard.....extra pair of hands needed lol! Could be worth a shot tho? Xx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

Try hot flannel on your boobs before expressing as this opens up milk ducts etc. the cold flannel after as this helps close them. Has helped me. :) xx

Last evening was infernal, I was stressed beyond anything, baby felt it and was crying loads, but managed to express twice during the night (first time OH helped me pump from my other boob while baby was feeding on the other, and the second time I was able to do it on my own).

I think I might have had a mental block, I've analysed everything and it pretty much started with my mum barging in on me when I was pumping, first thing in the morning, I was half asleep, and she said she thought baby was ill. My milk stopped flowing that second, it can't be coincidence. Of course the baby wasn't ill, she is a huge hypochondriac and I should have known better, but it just goes to show you how sensitive that sort of thing is.

Thats what it would have been, I couldn't express for the first few weeks as we had builders in and I kept expecting them to walk in all the time so couldn't relax, I don't even feel that comfortable pumping in front of my hubby let alone some random builders lol! Glad it's going better for you now x

I had a random week or so when one boob wouldn't express anything out of it, it was def full and LO could feed ok from it, but nothing when I pumped. Went back to normal after a few days though. Maybe it's just one of those things!

It's such a complicated thing, baby can always draw milk, no exceptions, but expressing is as fragile as an egg!

I must be totally insensitive then cos mine doesn't stop for anyone :blush: even when I feel a bit self conscious :eh:
Glad it started working for you again ish, you sounded upset there :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back