at what age did you potty train?

Bluebell

Reaction score
Just wondering when you started with potty training? and how long did it take? My lo is two next month and I'm just starting to think about getting a potty? All advice very welcome :) xx

:) Tapatalking :)

I got a potty at 18 months and left it in the room so she could get use to it then at 20 months used it in front of her and she followed suit. just do it when you feel ready. x x x

We only started at 2years 5months, it took a good few weeks for him to get it but about 4months to be completely accident free (I don't think he was ready but I pushed it because couldnt contemplate potty training with a new born!). He still wears a nappy for bed.

Every child is different, if u think They are ready then go for it x

We left it as late as possible, 2 years 10 months. She started asking for knickers, so we just went for it. It took a week for her to get the hang of it and she's not had one accident since.

There's no point rushing it, if they're not ready, it'll just be harder in the long run. They need the understanding and communication skills for it to be successful.

Last edited:
my son was 3 - a week after his birthday he was clean and dry!

my daughter was 3 and got the hang of wee quite quickly but would only poo in a nappy for a further 3-4 months!

My daughter is 9 months and we have started to use a potty at set times morning, after meals and before and after her bath.

My mum did this with me and I and my sister were both dry day and night by 18 months old.

X x x

We introduced a potty quite early on, around 18 months, just so he could get used to what it was for and be would use it now and again but we didn't actually train him until a few weeks before his third birthday when he started to show a proper interest and appeared to be ready. I definitely think we did it at the right time because it was a breeze to be honest! Within 3 days he was clean and dry in the daytime. Night time took longer, I waited for a bit because he was still waking up with a soaking nappy so obviously wasn't ready and in fact it's only been the last few weeks (he's just turned 4) that he's been reliably dry at night and we've managed to ditch the pull ups but I do think night time dryness is very much a developmental milestone and something you can't push until they are ready xxx

Joshua was 2 yrs 2 months. I boight a potty when he was 2 and then (j was born on the 3rd) I took the literal first week of december off and within 3 days he was rrained. He occasionally forgets but uts normally when were at soft play and hell come running over saying mummy I need to go wee wee NOW and hes started dribbling by the time we reached the toilet but hebfound it very easy. Hes now 2yrs 8 months and now (completely off his own back) wees standing up.... x

Oh and noghttime were iffy with....sometimes hell go to the potty which lives in his room now (no bathroom on his floor) in the night but otherwise hell use a pull uo but tbh im not bothered about that atm x

As il be on maternity leave from mid July, o will be 2 so thats the plan lol

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

My husband bought a book about EC (Elimination Communication) training. Basically potty training from birth. My Daughter is nearly 6 months old and has started to pee when i take her nappy off which i have read is because she doesnt want to pee herself. Keeping her in nappies is training her to wet herself. I personally think it would be too hard to try and potty train her from birth as you have lots to do around the house and things. I am lucky to be a full time mum and have started 4 days ago to sit my daughter on the potty and she has pee'd and poo'd on it :) I was soo pleased. My husband keeps pestering me to read the EC training Book (im just being lazy not doing it) as its meant to really help potty training really early. I am going to carry on doing this from now and my aim is to have my lo potty trained by 1. Fingers crossed x

My mum had me out of nappies day and night by 9 months!!! How the heck??? Xx

tapatalking

My mum had me out of nappies day and night by 9 months!!! How the heck??? Xx

tapatalking

I was about that age my mum says I can't quite believe her though lolol. Like how the hell? She says she ran out of nappies one night and had me in a towel andi just used a potty afterwards. I walked from about 8months though I was a wee lever clogs lol xxxx

Last edited:
Same. I walked at 8mth and at same time she had me out of cloth nappies while she waited for my brother to come along!! Xx

tapatalking

With those of u that were potty trained early..I need to ask were ur mums stay at home? I only ask as I work full time and owen goes nursery and don't see how I can potty train unless im with him as such? ! On maternity from end of july so gunna try then but just wondering! ( not a criticism just asking ;) ) if u got any tips please share ;) xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11

With those of u that were potty trained early..I need to ask were ur mums stay at home? I only ask as I work full time and owen goes nursery and don't see how I can potty train unless im with him as such? ! On maternity from end of july so gunna try then but just wondering! ( not a criticism just asking ;) ) if u got any tips please share ;) xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11

My mum worked 6pm-10pm so she had us ready for bed before she went to work and for my dad coming home from his day shift. She said she would lift me from my bed twice before she went to bed and put me on the potty/toilet and id pee whilst asleep. All sounds a bit barmy to me now I have an 8 month old but my mum said it was easy. Maybe I was easy lol. I think its going to be the hardest thing in the world to be honest as I hate mess lol. I do have a potty and have sat daisy grace on after her lunch but she just sits there and plays with her toys. Xx

tapatalking

She said she would lift me from my bed twice before she went to bed and put me on the potty/toilet and id pee whilst asleep. All sounds a bit barmy to me now I have an 8 month old but my mum said it was easy.

My mum did the exact same thing with me! lol!

My LO seems to be unable to wait to get out of nappies and be potty trained (she has real issues with wet and dirty nappies and nappy changes). My mum potty trained me and my sis when we were really little, but we're having to wait with our LO as she's only just started weight-bearing (15 months old) so couldn't sit on the potty properly and support herself. As soon as she's steady on her feet and starts toddling, we're going to start potty training.

Hmmmm my mum worked when I got older like 3 so I'd say she was a sahm whilst I was potty trained lol xxx

My brother potty trained at 8 months durig the day, but still used a nappy at night for longer. He loved the potty.

mummy to ds 11/7/11

No my mum was a teacher and my dad worked week on week off on the ships and was just tired when he was home or fixing stuff lol.

Just start putting your little on on the potty first thing in the morning as babies have 2 big wee'ms when they first wake.

Then after each meal or feed them on the potty a lot of people do for a while my lo certainly poo's at most meal times lol!

Then before a bath and before bed!

X x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back