Arm sucking

Robyner

Reaction score
My lg has had her induction visits to nursery.
Shes generally very sociable and plays well, i never have any issues leaving her in a creche etc but when i picked her up from her last visit yesterday she had sucked on her arm so much it left a nasty purple mark. Shes never done this before.
Anyone encountered this? Im worried she was stressed or unhappy.
The girls at nursery said she was fine. Ive tried to ask her but she wont really tell me what she did and who she played with etc

How old is she? Does she usually suck her arm when she's stressed?

I've never seen a child do that to themselves at nursery but I remember doing it to myself when I was about 6, just to see what had happened and I saw that I'd made a mark.

Have you asked the nursery workers if it's been something her and her friends have been doing? Or even if they've noticed she's done it? Because at the nursery I work at we would have filled out an incident report and got you to sign it

Hi thanks for reply
Shes never done it before but the mark is nasty.
It was just a pre visit and the nursery worker told me she had done it during story time.
I was just wondering if that kind of thing is linked to looking for comfort but maybe just like in your early experience it was curiosirty. My dh reminded me that she had suncream on that smelt really nice so maybe it was that.
I will keep an eye on things.

The problem with 'visits' at nursery before they start is that staff don't know what's 'normal' behaviour for the child and not wanting to upset her on her first day by asking/telling her to not do it.

Yes keep an eye on it, hopefully it was a one off, but if it does carry on, never worry about having a word with either the senior in the room or even the manager and express your concerns, they should never make you feel like your concerns are not worth listening to!

Did make me chuckle about the su cream, at least you'll know for the future not to put such tasty sun cream on her hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back