Arghhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by coruscating17, Feb 7, 2012.

1. coruscating17

coruscating17 Well-Known Member

I just ate a Herta frankfurter straight from the packet without thinking and now I'm worried I've potentially eaten listeria! I know it's a long shot but I feel so guilty. I don't even eat this kind of stuff normally but just had a craving for them, and I've just read that they are fine in moderation in pregnancy as long as they are piping hot. :(

2. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Don't worry, hun. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just imagine how few people actually get listeria food poisoning from eating hot dogs cold out of a pack - I'm sure it's not many at all - the risk is very low, just don't do it again! Herta would be out of business if they had a habit of selling dodgy products. If the pack was freshly opened you should be OK.

And it's nice to know that someone out there has as weird food cravings as I do :) xx

3. FirstBabyEek

FirstBabyEek Well-Known Member

That's a really good point Karen. I would have thought that its prob a low risk product compared to soft cheeses.

Dont worry xxx

4. coruscating17

Thanks guys! I'm just going through another paranoid stage, 2 weeks before my scan, worrying that I'm doing something wrong and bub won't be OK :( I'm now eating a massive bowl of strawberries, cherries and peach to make up for it!

5. babyelmo

babyelmo Well-Known Member

I think they're probably ok, they've been chilled properly so it shouldn't be a problem.

I accidentally ate a runny egg at the weekend :shock: We went out for breakfast and I just forgot! No symptoms of salmonella/listeria just yet so hopefully all is fine!

6. coruscating17

I know our chances of getting listeria are very small, and our parent's generation never had any of these food guidelines and we were all fine, but I just worry about everything I'm doing as you don't know if baby is affected or not! I'm sure we'll be fine though x