Argh! Baby won't drink milk!

littlemonkey

Reaction score
My son is 19 weeks and has decded there are far more fun and exciting things to be doing than drinking his milk, such as trying to feed himself and eat his bib and muslin. The problem is it means he's not drinking his milk! I feel like feed times are turning into a battle again, and it takes nearly an hour to get him to feed. He feeds every three hours due to relfux and to make sure he gets the right amount of formula. I had thought about leaving him four hours to get hungry, but even after that he won't feed! It's like he's decided he doesn't want milk.

Usually I would just say he doesn't want it and leave him, but he was awake in the night last night and guzzled two night feeds, so is obviously hungry! How do I get him to drink more in the day?!

I have been early weaning and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, he's decided he prefers fruit and porridge to milk?!

I'd be inclined to try a few days without anything other than milk and see if that makes a difference?

xxxx

I remember freya doing this and I don'tthink I was weaning at that point. She was just getting too nosey and decided that she had more important things to do than feed. It eventually stopped, I wondered if it was because she was teething as well.

I think carnats idea is good try that and see if he realises that milk is his food.

I think I tried putting muslin cloths over her head, dark rooms the lot. It was about now she noticed the dog so if he walked by it would put her off and I couldn't get her to take it.

Thanks ladies! Carnat, I had thought about doing that. I tend to let him play with his food and spoon as well to get him used to feeding himself and now I think I've confused him that meal times are play time! He's always been really alert and observant (ie nosey!). I've tried putting a muslin over him and he just tries to play with it!

This morning I had to sit in silence (usually I'd chat to him) just to get him to take five ounces in an hour and a half! Sheesh!

We went through this too, it was a nightmare. It lasted months for us so I hope your lo passes this phase quicker!
She just suddenly started drinking again, for no apparent reason.

Ok, I'm feeling like a rotten mum! I thought initially he was being a monkey. But by Thursday night he was back to what he had been like when his reflux flared up last time - refusing feeds and crying in agony! Trying to see the doctors yesterday was an absolute nightmare! I feel like no one takes us seriously! Aarrrggghhh!

This happened to us too. At one point she was drinking 3oz a day. I'd advise stopping the weaning for a week or so and just let him take the lead, it's just a phase hopefully.

Ok, I'm feeling like a rotten mum! I thought initially he was being a monkey. But by Thursday night he was back to what he had been like when his reflux flared up last time - refusing feeds and crying in agony! Trying to see the doctors yesterday was an absolute nightmare! I feel like no one takes us seriously! Aarrrggghhh!

Infant gaviscon is just fantastic for reflux. Scott has been on it for 3 days and it has changed him completely. Not a dribble of puke in sight and he no longer fights the bottle horrendously, he used to get so upset feed times were a nightmare. You have to have it prescribed for under one year olds but it can be bought over the counter, they'll ask you babies age. I would definitely speak to your doctor or HV about getting some. Scott only has 1 sachet mixed in his bottle, in the pack the sachets are double but I only use 1 half of it (it'll make sense when you see the pack lol) x

tapatalkin

Infant gaviscon is just fantastic for reflux. Scott has been on it for 3 days and it has changed him completely. Not a dribble of puke in sight and he no longer fights the bottle horrendously, he used to get so upset feed times were a nightmare. You have to have it prescribed for under one year olds but it can be bought over the counter, they'll ask you babies age. I would definitely speak to your doctor or HV about getting some. Scott only has 1 sachet mixed in his bottle, in the pack the sachets are double but I only use 1 half of it (it'll make sense when you see the pack lol) x

tapatalkin

Thanks Tambo, he's actually on ranitadine (think that's how it's spelt!) cos the infant gavisgon didn't make much difference. He had been fine up until Tuesday, when he had his last lot of jabs and funnily enough it was after the 12 week jabs he went really bad last time. He is only on the min dose of his medication.

He will take a max of 4oz and it takes about an hour to get him to take that, yet up until Monday he was taking at least 6-7oz a feed and smashing it back in 20mins max. And then having some solids twice a day. We've spoken to so many drs and nurses in the last 24hrs and with the exception of one nurse have been a complete bunch of arseholes who think my OH and are idiots! The decent nurse said he's on the min dose and could have another 0.3ml for his weight but it needs to be signed off by a dr first. So the first dr last night said he couldn't work out how much extra he needed, that all babies sick up anyway and there's nothing wrong with him. The dr today said much of the same, there's nothing wrong with him, despite the fact he's lost weight, and we should never have been prescribed ranitadine anyway cos all babies sick up anyway! Aaaarrrggghhhh! The worst thing is when they say just cos he doesn't eat what you want him to, it doesn't mean anything's wrong! It's not what I want him to flamming eat! I want him to eat more than what he usually does anyway cos he has never ever eaten the 'correct' amount for his weight. It's never concerned me though! I'm concerned cos he's not eating what he would usually eat. Fucking dickheads!

Getting what I can in him this wknd and then going to see our usual dr on Monday where I will be blowing a fuse! Pardon my language I'm so mad right now!

tapatalkin

Thanks Tambo, he's actually on ranitadine (think that's how it's spelt!) cos the infant gavisgon didn't make much difference. He had been fine up until Tuesday, when he had his last lot of jabs and funnily enough it was after the 12 week jabs he went really bad last time. He is only on the min dose of his medication.

He will take a max of 4oz and it takes about an hour to get him to take that, yet up until Monday he was taking at least 6-7oz a feed and smashing it back in 20mins max. And then having some solids twice a day. We've spoken to so many drs and nurses in the last 24hrs and with the exception of one nurse have been a complete bunch of arseholes who think my OH and are idiots! The decent nurse said he's on the min dose and could have another 0.3ml for his weight but it needs to be signed off by a dr first. So the first dr last night said he couldn't work out how much extra he needed, that all babies sick up anyway and there's nothing wrong with him. The dr today said much of the same, there's nothing wrong with him, despite the fact he's lost weight, and we should never have been prescribed ranitadine anyway cos all babies sick up anyway! Aaaarrrggghhhh! The worst thing is when they say just cos he doesn't eat what you want him to, it doesn't mean anything's wrong! It's not what I want him to flamming eat! I want him to eat more than what he usually does anyway cos he has never ever eaten the 'correct' amount for his weight. It's never concerned me though! I'm concerned cos he's not eating what he would usually eat. Fucking dickheads!

Getting what I can in him this wknd and then going to see our usual dr on Monday where I will be blowing a fuse! Pardon my language I'm so mad right now!

Has he been tested for any kind of allergies? My OH's Daughter was found to be allergic to dairy products after testing.

Also this hot weather affects how much babies want to drink. Iv'e found with all 4 of mine that they drink less in heat and I give them a few bottles of 2 oz of cooled boiled water a day as well.

How about the teats on his bottles? what size are they? I changed Scott's to vari flow and he hated them! I had to go back to teat size 1 just to make him happy and not stressed. It does take him ages to drink a bottle now but at least he's not stupidly upset.

I do think though that the "set amount" should really be taken with a pinch of salt, my middle son (a strapping 6 ft 17 year old now) never ever drank the advised amount, was always on the lowest centile. I really do think some babies just have a smaller appetite/smaller capacity stomach and just cant manage the amount that the books advise they should be drinking. My son also used to bring back quite a lot of his feeds but it never stopped him from growing up fit and healthy.

They really should be taking you seriously if he has lost weight and you are worried.

Also it really could just be his jabs knocking him about and it could take him at least a week or so to settle down again. My eldest son, 19 now, had a terrible time with jabs and they turned him into Captain Miserable for at least 2 weeks, affecting his eating, sleeping and general happiness.

Please don't take offence at my ramblings btw! I'm not judging you in any way I am just trying to think of any possible reasons that he won't take his milk hun xxx

I don't mind at all, cos at least you are showing some concern and offering possible reasons and advice rather than just telling me it's normal behaviour. I spend all day everyday with my son, I know what is normal for him and what is not. This is not normal behaviour!

My son is 19 weeks and has decded there are far more fun and exciting things to be doing than drinking his milk, such as trying to feed himself and eat his bib and muslin. The problem is it means he's not drinking his milk! I feel like feed times are turning into a battle again, and it takes nearly an hour to get him to feed. He feeds every three hours due to relfux and to make sure he gets the right amount of formula. I had thought about leaving him four hours to get hungry, but even after that he won't feed! It's like he's decided he doesn't want milk.

Usually I would just say he doesn't want it and leave him, but he was awake in the night last night and guzzled two night feeds, so is obviously hungry! How do I get him to drink more in the day?!

I have been early weaning and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, he's decided he prefers fruit and porridge to milk?!

I just read this again and thought maybe it is the heat affecting him. You say last night he guzzled 2 feeds, obviously at night the temp drops which might have made him feel better in himself so he wanted his milk x

tapatalkin

Me again! Sorry! Another thing to remember is that baby food tastes much nicer than milk, formula is pretty rank, it's no wonder once they get a taste of the good stuff they don't want to drink milk as much lol x

tapatalkin

I don't really have much to offer hun...

Check his teat size... Is he just getting pissed off that he can't get enough through at a time?
Weaning... I used to just give Cay a spoonful for a "meal" about half way between his morning and afternoon bottles. It wasn't to get food in him, more just to get used to thicker, lumpier textures.

You say he's sicking up still, how much? (Remember it always looks a lot worse than it is). Cay never had feed issues, but for a coupla days when he was about two weeks old, he projectiled entire feeds. Now he "sicks up" but it's like a burp with overspill.
I'm sure it's been tried already, but when Cay was sick, we were told to sit him up for feeds, let him have an oz and wind him, another oz, wind, and so on until he was done, then keep him sat up for at least 15-20 minutes after to make sure the milk had settled into his stomach. Might be worth a go? I know reflux is a million times worse than a random short period of sickiness, but it may be enough to take the edge off?

Milk... Has he been tried on comfort milk? Lactose-free milk? Could be he's built up a lactose intolerance...?

If his milk constantly makes him feel like rubbish, I can understand why he wouldn't want it, especially now he knows there's "safer" things on the menu.
If he won't take his bottles, will he at least take porridge made with his milk? Yogurts? At least that way he's still getting something in him.

I'm sorry if any of that seems patronising... I'm just trying to think of anything that might help.

I'm disgusted at your doctors responses... A baby not feeding and losing weight is not anything harmful in the short term, but if it continues it could cause problems.

Keep us updated xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back