"Are you going to breastfeed?"

Pregnot

Reaction score
If I get asked this question one more time I'm going to scream!

I mean why do people feel it acceptable to ask how you intend on feeding your baby?
I do intend on doing it however why are people concerned about whether I am or not?

does this annoy anyone else or just me - any good responses apart from
Mind your own business to the next fool who asks me?

when I was pregnant (and very hormonal and moody) a random woman I didnt even know asked me this, I asked it back, she wasn't pregnant, a little cruel but y would u hack off a pregnant woman!?

haha that's funny - I just don't understand why people ask all the time

When I say yes they go on to explain how thy did it etc etc like I'm interested - I'm not!

It just pisses me off all the way through pregnancy u get asked personal questions, was it planned? is it a boy or girl? are you happy it's a boy? what's his name? Max - max or maxwell ? if he was called maxwell id have said maxwell wouldnt i?? when's he due? How long now?

If I get asked one more time how long have I got left I'm going to kill someone for sure!
getting majorly fed up with it all now

People can be so inappropriate! I've gotten off quite lightly really but it does annoy me that people seem to think you're public property when you're pregnant! I've had a few people tell me that I'm all bump and I'll be back to my pre-pregnancy shape straight away....I assume they think this is a compliment but I've put on over 2 stone and it ain't all bump! It just sort of makes me feel under pressure to ping back into shape and I know that won't be happening after having spent the last 8 months eating whatever I want...!

I've not been asked that one. And now I feel bad for giving advice to my colleague about breastfeeding.

I had such a bad time with it I just like to share my experience so other people don't quit too early.

The only comment that bugs me, is about how I must be suffering with the heat. And being mothered, told to sit down, drink water, etc :)

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I can't say this is something I've been asked really, apart from my close friends and family which I don't mind. Strangers really are so inappropriate though so I know how you feel. And they feel the need to tell you what you HAVE to do and what you CAN'T do etc. why can't people just let us figure it out, every baby is different.

My general response is "well I'm sure we'll figure it out when she gets here" aka feck off haha xx

I got asked this loads with my first but I don't think a single person has asked this time around. I must admit I didn't mind when people asked with my dd but if somebody asked me now, id be little taken a back as I don't think its anybodies business! X

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't bother me that people ask this but if I were to say no and they started lecturing me about breastfeeding then I'd be annoyed...but as I'm planning on breastfeeding it's been fine. People's opinions and experiences really annoy me, especially bad ones. I don't need to hear anyone's horror birth stories when I'm due to give birth in the next 7 weeks!! Haha

Im sick of people looking at me and saying ohhh you must be hot! Or ohhh how you coping in this heat!!! Someone just said it to me out the window at petrol station next time ill say do i look fukkin hot!! X

I think it is annoying when ppl ask all the questions if they don't know you its not to bad when its friends or family tho my mil used to be a breastfeeding counseller way back around 25 yrs ago and she keeps trying to impart advice and tell me if I get any problems or just want to talk to ring her or my local breast feeding counsellor iv told her I will try and I'm sure I will use my bf counsellor but I don't want to discuss it with her as she is my mil. She says she understands then next time we talk she again starts trying to inform me of various things and how I should or shouldn't and how I mustnt let pain stop me etc etc.... I do understand she is trying to help but honestly I don't want to talk about it with her LOL I hope il bf without major issue but don't expect it to be easy that said if I decide it isn't for me I don't want her preasurising me x

I got really upset with the midwives that were covering for my own, they were, for lack of a better term, bullying me because I said I wasn't breast feeding, one was in my face & everything which really upset me. I explained that for personal reasons I was not going to breastfeed but will be expressing to bottle feed & she treated me like a complete idiot telling me it would be too hard. It's actually made me dread going to see them next week to the point I'm dragging DH with me which means I'm also going to have to take my 4yr old DS

haha that's funny - I just don't understand why people ask all the time

When I say yes they go on to explain how thy did it etc etc like I'm interested - I'm not!

It just pisses me off all the way through pregnancy u get asked personal questions, was it planned? is it a boy or girl? are you happy it's a boy? what's his name? Max - max or maxwell ? if he was called maxwell id have said maxwell wouldnt i?? when's he due? How long now?

If I get asked one more time how long have I got left I'm going to kill someone for sure!
getting majorly fed up with it all now

That :censored: me right off, I had complete strangers telling me I must be dissapointed that I was having another boy, one guy actually called me a liar because I said "actually no, we wanted another boy" :shock: and I had an old family friend giving me her sympathy because I wasn't having a girl! Don't get me wrong, any child is a blessing + a girl would have been loved, but we really did bloody want another boy!

ETA - Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant lol

Last edited:
People piss me off. I remember crying once when someone asked my oh if I was going to bf & he told me they had lots of tips for me. I'm not bf'ing & if any midwife dares to try & persuade me she won't have a head left because I will well & truly bite it off!!!x

I dont think i have been asked before i gave birth but dont see a problem with friends asking, they are just curious.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I got asked if I was breast feeding today at work. I replied "Yes I'm going to give it a go, but I don't want it being just me feeding as I would like for my partner to have that bonding time too"

They replied " Yes, but if you BF you have to do all the work"

Yes sure enough I will be doing more, but at this time my partner will also be working full time plus & also helping with the baby - pushing us both further than we've been pushed before.

I said " I will be so happy when I see my OH creating that bond. I smile thinking about it" had "pfffft " back !!!!

Huni it doesn't stop when baby's here. I get asked this all the time. Oh are u feeding her yourself?

Erm yes....why?!

I can't ever imagine asking someone this. It's pure nosiness!

Don't let it get to u huni, there's gona be so many more comments that will pee u off just as much! Xxxx

People get very defensive about the midwives attitudes, but, refreshingly, ours got annoyed today that our "going home pack" contained no info on bottle feeding and that if we planned on it we should demand it from the hospital and they will provide some written information. They're almost apologetic that they have to be so "pro breastfeeding"!

i just say hopefully, dont really mind ppl asking.

I got asked by my maternity replacement at work, I had known him all of two weeks and he is mid fifties. Very inappropriate I thought. I was very non committal and he tried again the other day, saying I won't be able to drink if breast feeding. I totally blanked him, and now think he us a proper weirdo :s

Just wanted to add it defo doesn't stop! My lo is formula fed and I'm always asked if its breast milk and "do you not Breastfeed?"

Grrrr! Iit annoys me because it's a sensitive topic for me as I really struggled and stopped earlier than I would liked, so I feel I have to re-live it every F*ing time!!

People are so nosy!!

Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back