Are we finally getting somewhere?!

Blueflower

Reaction score
So we had our consultation at the private clinic and it went ok, although I thought they’d start me on a course of treatment almost straight away and they didn’t!

We've got to organise HIV and Hepatitis blood tests with our GP, I have to get the hospital to send some missing results to the clinic then I have to ring up on my next Day 1 to organise a blood test for oestrogen and AMH, then after AF for a scan to check that my ovaries are accessible! After that we decide whether to have clomid and IUI or clomid and (he says it in a meercat type accent!) "sex at home!"

DH said he didn't feel very encouraged by the appointment and concerned they might keep asking for more money & bleed us dry. I don't know what encouragement he expected! Did he expect the doctor to say “even though you refused to start trying for a family until your partner was 38, we can definitely help you to have a baby”!!!!!!! I suppose I’ve been on this journey a lot longer than he has and maybe it’s sinking in that you can’t pick and choose when you have a family and expect one when it happens to finally be convenient! I’m a bit cross with him because I barely got 2 sentences out of him about the appointment all evening! The doctor kept saying how marvellous DH’s sperm was as well! All my tests were fine or borderline but he got praised for his one result from a pain-free test! (Maybe male doctors do that to encourage the male partner about treatment?!)

I’m glad that we are finally on the way to getting some treatment but I can’t help feeling unsupported! And I wanted a more relaxed month this time so didn’t use OPKs, but I don’t know if I ovulated so am feeling a bit annoyed and confused! :eh:

I like the meercat accent! did he say whether iui or 'sex at home' stats would be? Like is there alot higher chance with doing the iui compared to the higher cost? It's good he's got excellent sperm though, at least u know he's got his bit covered, if it's really good then iui might not make much of a difference. I think all the tests are standard, we had to have them all and we have to do that hiv and hep c every 6 months so I don't think there bleeding you dry. Would you ever consider ivf with donor eggs? I know that can cost a bomb though, I dunno blueflower, there's never any guarantees and straight answers in this game is there xxx

Hi,
I'm sorry you didn't get the go ahead to start the treatment straight away and this can be so frustrating. Our clinic ran loads of tests and did a couple of pre IVF procedures before they started our IVF cycle. I found it so so frustrating waiting but I'm glad we went through them all before starting the IVF as this is the big one especially if you are paying.
When is your follow up apt
X

That's a good point Gemma, I will ask. You're right that if sperm is ok, washing it and squirting it higher up might not make any difference!

I don't think they will bleed us dry, DH is quite budget conscious and believed having a family would be easy once he'd given the go-ahead, so had no idea we'd have to pay for treatment! All the costs are set out and we agree to them as we go along before each procedure.

At the open evening they mentioned donor eggs, they will use them for women up to 50 years old! I would stop at 45 though! They said the main cause of IVF failure is old eggs, so to choose a donor under 35. I think if it came to that though and the child would have my DH's DNA but not mine I would prefer to adopt and give a child a home who needs one.

I will be going back in a couple of weeks for the blood test then after AF for the scan, then our next consultation will be when we get the blood results back.

At least the ball is rolling now! :family:

It doesn't look as if motility and morphology was tested last time, oh dear! So maybe it isn't so marvellous after all! I'm currently trying to get the hospital to fish out the results. When I asked at our last NHS appt the doctor said vaguely that it was all normal but it looks as if they only have 1 page and might not have looked at it. :( He won't want to get it tested again, especially if there might be a problem. :-(

That sounds strange Blueflower, surely they must all test for the same things when they do a SA! I hope they manage to find the rest of the results for you and they're ok xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back