Aptamil First Milk 'v' Hungry Baby Aptamil

HopesDreams

Reaction score
O has been on first stage milk for about 7 weeks now. Over the last fortnight he's been getting hungry earlier & earlier. HV has always said that if he makes it to 3 hours between feeds she's happy but 2 & a half hours between feeds is becoming a regular occurrence. I bought a box of hungry milk & tried him with it. I've noticed that on it he can go 4 hours between feeds. Is this an indication that I should maybe move him to hungry milk permanently?

Have you tried giving more formula at each feed? Also, how old is he? And how big is he? That would make a difference. My LO was really tiny, so needed feeding 2-hourly for the first few months, then gradually was able to drink more at each feed and therefore go longer. Even now though (at 15 months old), she goes 3 hours between breakfast and morning milk; 2 hours between milk and lunch; 3 hours between lunch and afternoon milk; 1.5 hours between afternoon milk and tea; and just over an hour between tea and bedtime milk. Obviously she doesn't need feeding through the night, but she still needs regular meals/milk throughout the day.

He's 10 weeks old & is currently on 6oz bottles. He was 13lb 12oz (very long) about 2 weeks ago & doesn't get weighed again until the end of this week. He just about finishes those 6oz bottles but doesn't last if that makes sense. HV keeps suggesting "holding him out" with water (even though he sips at 2oz of water per day anyway) but that's a crock. I tried that & all I end up with is a full wet nappy pretty sharpish. :)

To be perfectly honest, I'd feed him every 2 hours if that's what he wants. I'm not sure where the HV gets the 3 hours from. The hospital told us they were feeding our LO every 5 hours and once we got her home we really struggled - she would go really pale and then not be able to feed because she was so tired. We switched to every couple of hours and she was fine.

After a while, they adjust themselves to their own routine and usually go around 3 hours between feeds. Maybe your little one is having a growth spurt? Is the HV thinking he'll get overweight if he feeds more often? I must admit I'm a fan of feeding baby when baby wants feeding and ignoring health visitors if their advice doesn't seem to fit!!

I guess if the hungry baby milk keeps him going longer and he seems more settled and satisfied in between feeds, then give him that... It's trying to find what's right for him.

How many bottles a day is your LO having? Guidelines say he should be having somewhere around 35oz per day...

Just thought I'd share my experience with hungry baby milk.

G used to be on C&G first milk and at 6 weeks was wanting 5oz every 2 hours - he was having far too much according to the guidelines. I know that the guidelines are just that - but I think 10oz more for a 6 weeks old is too much! Anyhoo, C&G was also not great on his little tummy, so I switched him over to Aptamil Hungry baby milk.. Unfortunately that wasn't great on his tummy either, and by 10 weeks he was drinking 7oz every 3 hours!!!

So I changed him to HiPP Organic Hungry milk - and I never looked back. His tummy problems went away over night, and he went to every 4 hours, and sleeping a bit better in the night. All in all, it suited him and worked for us.

Every baby is different and it's trial and error. But that's us.

Hey Lou. O started on the Hungry Milk yesterday. Such a different day! He was going 3 & 1/2 hours to 4 hours between feeds. He took 30oz yesterday.
When he was on First Milk he was taking 36oz a day (6 x 6oz) which I was happy with but he was ravenous at 2 1/2 hours quite often. I just didn't think he was feeling satisfied.
Here's hoping this change continues. :)

Hey Lou. O started on the Hungry Milk yesterday. Such a different day! He was going 3 & 1/2 hours to 4 hours between feeds. He took 30oz yesterday.
When he was on First Milk he was taking 36oz a day (6 x 6oz) which I was happy with but he was ravenous at 2 1/2 hours quite often. I just didn't think he was feeling satisfied.
Here's hoping this change continues. :)

I'm considering trying the hungry milk. Would you recommend it? xx

MrsHope, every baby is different but the Hungry Milk has been fantastic for my wee boy. He goes every 4 hours between feeds now, much more satisfied. He didn't get constipated or have a dicky tummy with the switch so I love it!

Ruby has fed back to back twice today and drained 2 bottles at a time. She only sleeps for 2 hrs after a feed then wakes up starving and chewing her hand within 2 mins. We have the tomme tippee perfect prep machine n bottle is done In 2 mins and she can't even wait that long! I've got 2 small cartons to try this weekend. I'm going to try her next feed with it and just try the odd feed to see what happens. Thanks for you help Hun! Anything else I should know about it? Xxx

Last edited:
It didn't make any difference to his night sleep. It did change his nap though. He wouldn't wake up mid nap starving & then cranky because he was tired. I love the stuff.

Your right Hun, made no difference to her night feed. Im going to try it this afternoon see what happens x

Let me know how you get on hun. My auntie did say she believes that in order for hungry milk to do its job properly they need to be on it fully. In O's case she was right. It was when hd was completely switched that I noticed the best change.

Right. I'm going starting phasing the first milk out then as have a carton of it left. Not that it will last that long lol. I'm going to have to up her to 5oz until then because she is draining 4oz x

On first milk O was having 6 6oz bottles. On hungry milk he's having 5 6oz bottles. :)

We were on stage 1 and switched to hungry baby and I've noticed J is still not satisfied but tbh I think he's ready for solids so switched him back to stage one and gave him some purée for lunch and tea and he seems much more fuller.

We use cow and gate but it's just the same as aptimil (same company etc) and is just cheaper.

Jackson didn't have a dicky tummy or anything either xxxxx

How many bottles a day is your LO having? Guidelines say he should be having somewhere around 35oz per day...

Just thought I'd share my experience with hungry baby milk.

G used to be on C&G first milk and at 6 weeks was wanting 5oz every 2 hours - he was having far too much according to the guidelines. I know that the guidelines are just that - but I think 10oz more for a 6 weeks old is too much! Anyhoo, C&G was also not great on his little tummy, so I switched him over to Aptamil Hungry baby milk.. Unfortunately that wasn't great on his tummy either, and by 10 weeks he was drinking 7oz every 3 hours!!!

So I changed him to HiPP Organic Hungry milk - and I never looked back. His tummy problems went away over night, and he went to every 4 hours, and sleeping a bit better in the night. All in all, it suited him and worked for us.

Every baby is different and it's trial and error. But that's us.

This is what J did 5 oz every 3 hours then would scream the building. HV says he was feeding well but I agree it was just far too much. He couldn't even digest it. We had him on SMA gold then switched to c&g stage 1 and it's the best thing we have done xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back