Appointments?

Skidoo

Reaction score
How often should I be seeing the midwife now?

I had an appt at end of Sept with the endocrinologist (for low thyroid condition) and don't have another appt until 8 December. I thought I was supposed to see someone - nurse/midwife - every 4 weeks up to 28 weeks, but when I phoned to ask, the receptionist was really unhelpful and wouldn't make an appt unless I knew who I was supposed to see. And I don't know, I've never done this before!

Any advice ladies?

Hi there

not sure if it's something that varies from area to area but where I am I see the midwife at my doctors surgery every 4 wks until I'm 28 weeks which is when it changes to be every 2 wks until 36 wks when it becomes weekly. I've also got an apointment at 28 weeks for blood checks (but that's held at a different place).

Each time I see a MW she tells me to go to reception after the appointment and book another for x amount of wks time.

HTH

Lucy

Hi there

not sure if it's something that varies from area to area but where I am I see the midwife at my doctors surgery every 4 wks until I'm 28 weeks which is when it changes to be every 2 wks until 36 wks when it becomes weekly. I've also got an apointment at 28 weeks for blood checks (but that's held at a different place).

Each time I see a MW she tells me to go to reception after the appointment and book another for x amount of wks time.

HTH

Lucy
26 + 3

Hi

On my first ever appointment I received a pack with the bounty book in it and it had all the notes I would need all the way up to labour.

near the back it had an A4 sheet of paper listing all the appointments I would be going to. Such as 25 weeks - gp appointment, 28 weeks - midwife appointment etc etc. At this point you should soon be moving to appointments which are 2 or 3 weeks apart, depending on where you live.

Hope this helps

The rule is - every 4 weeks till 26 weeks then every 2 weeks till 36 weeks then every week till birth!!

was just wondering about this myself had my first scan yesterday and they also took 4 lots of bloods seen midwife last week got nothing now till next scan which i will be 19 and half weeks and not got to see midwife till about 22 weeks :? :? :?
then got diabetes test at 28 weeks and consultant at 36 weeks
is it normal not to see anyone from 10 weeks to 22 weeks???
xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for all your replies.

I was pretty sure it was supposed to be about every 4 weeks up until about 28 weeks (only a couple of weeks out).

I'll have a look for that list of appointments you mention Sarah W, I knew I'd seen a list like that somewhere, just couldn't remember where!

Rach - clearly - from my question - I don't know much, but that doesn't sound right to me. For one thing, I thought the first scan was at 12 weeks. Mine was at 12 wks according to LMP, but then the scan showed I was only 10 weeks so I had to go back for another at 12 weeks because that's the earliest they could look at the Neuchal Fold and decide whether I shld be offered genetic testing (amnio/CVS).

ok i just found that page in my notes with all the appointments in and because its my 2nd child im lucky to be seeing midwife at 22 weeks would not be due to see her till 28 weeks :shock: unless i have down syndrome test which im not having so all looks about right
xxxxx

I see the midwife every 4 weeks until 28 weeks, then every 3 weeks til 34 weeks, then every 2 weeks till birth. If I go overdue I have to go at 41 weeks, then 42 weeks. But I have seen my GP in between as he does antenatal too. I'm glad about this cos my midwife is rubbish they all are where I go.

It awful isnt it Rach, i get appointments at 11, 20, 28, 30 and 32 weeks which is not very much. I havent seen the midwife now for over 9 weeks which i think is too long!

They are lovely midwifes but just sooooo busy and they shove you out the door really quickly.

Hi

I should've said that I have the midwife only care as opposed to shared betweent midwife and doctor.

Not sure about anyone else but when I had my booking in appointment that's when I was asked if I wanted midwife only care or shared between midwifes and doctors. I think this is a bit early as I had only just joined my doctors so didn't know any of them and was meeting the midwife for the first time! I have one really nice midwife who is lovely but the other one is a bit of the type that dismisses most queries with that look of "you aren't the first woman to be pregnant"!

Lucy
26 +3

Kim said:
I see the midwife every 4 weeks until 28 weeks, then every 3 weeks til 34 weeks, then every 2 weeks till birth. If I go overdue I have to go at 41 weeks, then 42 weeks. But I have seen my GP in between as he does antenatal too. I'm glad about this cos my midwife is rubbish they all are where I go.

This is when I see my midwife. I don't see the Doctor in between though. The 36 week appointment is a home visit to discuss the birth.

i seen midwife really regular on first child but it seems when your on your second uve done it all before so they forget about u :shock:
its been 12 years for me i remember nothing :oops: xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back