Appointment with consultant!!!!

Amy0801

Reaction score
Hi ladies
I am so mad!! This morning I had an appointment with the consultant at the hospital to go over my plans for a VBAC. My appointment was at 9.40 and after asking what was going on twice we finally go in at 10.45!! We was in there for all of 10 minutes and it was a complete waste of time! He had no idea what he was doing! He told me that I will need to have an IV put in my hand which I already knew and that I will need to be monitored more incase of scar rupture but I said I want to be mobile and he said I can walk around the bed but what if I want to have the baby on my hand and knees...I won't know until it happens! I said will I be able to use the pool to which he said he didn't know if they have a waterproof heart monitor!! He asked me to go back in 3 weeks and he said he will do a sweep to which I thought you can sod off...if I need a sweep I will get my midwife to do it!!!He also told me to make an appointment for the VBAC clinic...I already went to this back in July! He clearly hadn't read my notes!! Didn't fill me with confidence to think these professionals are responsible for your care!

On a more exciting topic...I woke this morning with period type pains and before we left for the hospital I had a bit of a bloody show! Also for the last few days I have noticed I have had a lot more discharge so I think I am starting to loose my mucus plug! Not getting my hopes up because I know this can happen a few weeks or hours before labour starts but I think I have got a while to wait! Xx

I haven't had a very good experience with the consultants at my hospital either. Very long wait times, like you (although I would not begrudge that too much if it weren't such a waste of time once you get in there), and it feels like they want you out as soon as possible. I constantly get fobbed off when I asked questions and they can be pretty rude really. I think they are good if there's a problem, but if everything is going ok, they just want you out. I don't know about you, but I don't get many midwife appts at all because I am consultant-led, and I feel like I miss out on a lot of the care side that you get with a midwife, as the consultants don't seem to have time for questions. I have only had midwife appts at booking and 16 weeks and I'm on the verge of 29 weeks.

Hope you get your baby soon! It sounds like he or she is on the way! xx

Hey Hun I had a successful vbac with my second little boy, I was able to move around they monitored my blood pressure baby's heartbeat more but everything wen smoothly.they did try and talk me out of a vbac tho so glad I was firm. With my 3rd I wasn't allowed to move out of the hospital bed which was an awful experience and had a few problems it ended up in a section cos a didn't progress past 8cm they left me in labour for 28hours. I honestly think that the experience depends on what midwife u get personally. X

laura is ur your first babies? Because it isn't my first I should of see them at booking 16weeks and 28weeks, 34 38, I'm consultant led and he's very pushy trying to push me into sterilisation my consultant. With my anxiety been increased I'm seeing midwife every 3weeks which is a relief in a way. X

Yes first babies. I believe I can book appts if I really want to, so I am probably due one now. I am at the hospital at least every 2 weeks, if not more often, for scans or twin clinics or whatever else so I hadn't really thought about booking to see the midwife. Midwife also told me that twins aren't something they used to dealing with, so to talk to consultant and it didn't fill me with confidence that they could answer my questions xx

Last edited:
Hi ladies.
Consultants are a nightmare luckily I am under shared care because I have opted for a VBAC so I see my midwife at my GP surgery every 2 weeks now. She is lovely and I am a lot more relaxed with her. I am due to see her next week so I am going to tell her what happened and how I feel and ask her if she will do a sweep if I need one. I don't want to go back to the hospital again unless it's to have the baby so I am going to cancel the next appointment with the consultant. The first consultant I saw was really nice and helpful and I was supposed to see him again yesterday but he must have been ill so that it why I saw this other one! :(

What do you guys do/discuss with midwife? xx

My midwife checks my blood pressure and wee sample and she has a feel of baby and listens to her heartbeat with the doppler. I have seen her at all the right times for a second baby..I know if its your first you have a couple more appointments. If I have any worries or queries I can speak to her about them. I have only seen the consultant twice now just to go over my birthing options and I supposed the appointment i had yesterday was to check I haven't changed my mind and want to book in for a section! I am not sure how things are different if you are having twins..I would have thought you still need to have all these checks done every couple of weeks though xx

I had a crap experience with my consultant also, I have group B strep in my urine and I asked her what exactly does that Mea, I.e what antibiotics will I be getting, how often do I get them, what r the risks to baby, will she need antibiotics, how long can I expect to be in hospital ? Pretty normal question I think when group B strep can be potentially fatal to a newborn, well anyway she put a strep b sticker on my notes shut them and said that's what it means, handed my notes to me and opened the door and said goodbye, I normally would have said something but was in a bit of shock at her rudeness, luckily the next time I went back I had a lovely doctor who explained everything in detail with me but I can understand wh people lose faith in doctors when their attitudes sometimes stink

Ah I do get wee and BP checked every couple of weeks at hospital (non midwife) appts. I will call today though and book to see midwife I think, if anything it'll be good to have met a few of them in case they are delivering my babies! xx

I had a crap experience with my consultant also, I have group B strep in my urine and I asked her what exactly does that Mea, I.e what antibiotics will I be getting, how often do I get them, what r the risks to baby, will she need antibiotics, how long can I expect to be in hospital ? Pretty normal question I think when group B strep can be potentially fatal to a newborn, well anyway she put a strep b sticker on my notes shut them and said that's what it means, handed my notes to me and opened the door and said goodbye, I normally would have said something but was in a bit of shock at her rudeness, luckily the next time I went back I had a lovely doctor who explained everything in detail with me but I can understand wh people lose faith in doctors when their attitudes sometimes stink

Whaaat? That's crap! They have leaflets at my hospital about strep B so I expect they had some floating around she could have given or sent to you if she wasn't sure off the top of her head. That's appalling.

I think midwife knowledge varies a lot, and some are just really good at the care side but less good with the medical side. Sounds like the one you saw that time was crap with both though xx

Last edited:
Amy are you at stepping hill? I'm under shared care there and aside from the long wait time so far I've been happy with the consultant I saw there. But it was a woman not a man x but I swapped from Wythenshawe coz I found them crap and completely lacking knowledge!

Last edited:
Amy are you at stepping hill? I'm under shared care there and aside from the long wait time so far I've been happy with the consultant I saw there. But it was a woman not a man x but I swapped from Wythenshawe coz I found them crap and completely lacking knowledge!

Yes I am at stepping hill. The first consultant I saw was great, think he was Chinese and I was supposed to see him again on tuesday but it ended up being a different man and a woman was with him but he was bloody useless! Xx

I've had a rubbish male and a rubbish female one. Don't think that makes a difference tbh.

Yes I am at stepping hill. The first consultant I saw was great, think he was Chinese and I was supposed to see him again on tuesday but it ended up being a different man and a woman was with him but he was bloody useless! Xx

I'm under Dr gupta there I saw a lady last time she was fantastic and put me on odansetron for my hyeremesis I can't thank her enough for that I actually feel human again just throwing up in the mornings x

Hi Ladies
Hope you are all well? I'm just reading my posts from when I was pregnant and I just came across this one and it made me chukkle as this was this consultant that actually delivered my daughter by emergency c-section. Firstly we nearly ran over him on the way into the hospital as he was crossing the road and then when we found out there was complications with my labour he was the doctor who walked into the room and you know what..he was really nice and explained everything to us after he had safely delivered baby so I supposed you can't always go off first impressions xx

Thsts good to know! I wonder if ill end up Seeing him later too. I have my next consultant appointmrnt soon. Hope you are both doing well now x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back