Applying for an internal job??

Amy0801

Reaction score
Hi ladies
Just want to run something by you all...I have worked for the same company for what will be 10 years in august and at the moment the position that I am doing is only temporary as we are in the process of getting a new computer software..I was moved from accounts to sales order processor which i do part time but a couple of weeks ago they hired a full time sales order processor as it is a full time position anyway another part time position has now become available in the purchasing department and on Friday my manger asked me if I had thought of applying as it would mean job security to which I said no not really because I don't have experience in that department but she seems to think that won't be an issue so I told her I would think about it...but the main problem is that I am 9 weeks pregnant and no one at works knows about it yet..my partner has said they can't discriminate for being pregnant but they can give another excuse! I would feel bad for not telling them if they offered me the job only to go on maternity leave in 7 months time. I'm not sure what to do or say??? Xx

Last edited:
Job security is a big thing to have, personally I would go for it. You might feel bad but I believe you can be off for however long you would feel comfortable with if you didnt want to take the full entitlement off. Surely the manager would not have approached you if they didnt believe you could do it once you had been trained. I understand it might feel a little bit cheeky but you have been with them fro a long time so I would go for it. If you think you would like the job, take it if its formally offered

I love the part time job I currently do and it is only temp, I will have been there for almost a year and it was only a years contract so I was a little worried about it ending but they have extended it for another year thankfully and I am thrilled. Being 34 I was worried about leaving it even longer before we could even start trying but then there would be the problem that nobody would take me on if I was heavily pregnant so that could scupper the chance of a future job and we are in desperate need for us both to be working even if it is only part time. We made the decision to start TTC in March and fingers crossed I will be able to get pregnant while I still work there. The ideal for me really, so if I was lucky enough to have a suggestion of a job mentioned to me, I would take it with both hands but after my second year there might not be anything else for me there which would be gutting for me. You cant turn a job down because you would feel guilty- look after your best interests for your family x

Would you get a new contract? Just worth looking into if you end up wth a new contract they sometimes use the date of the new position as your start date, thus meaning your SMP entitlement is only eligible if you have worked in the position continuously for at least 26 weeks up to the qualifying week which is 15th week before the expected week of childbirth x

Hi ladies
Thanks for your replies. I am going to speak with my manager tomorrow..we have a good relationship so I am hoping she will be understanding.

Keely..that is a good point..I will have to ask that. When I was moved from accounts to order processing I just had a continouse contract. If I was offered the new job it would be the same hours and I would think the same money I would just be moving departments. Feeling very anxious about it all though. I hadn't really been worried about my job just sort sort of pushed it to the back of my mind but now I am starting to worry :( xx

Hi ladies
Well I spoke to my manager today and she was pleased that I want to apply for the job..I said I would be daft not to really..and she was happy about my pregnancy. The company we work for is American so the end decision will be with them. I will have to be interviewed for it but my manager said don't mention anything about the pregnancy until the interview. I told her I know they can't discriminate against me for being pregnant but I told her I want to be honest..I wouldn't feel right applying for the job, possibly being offered it to then say "oh by the way I'm pregnant". I told her the baby is due on 3rd December so I have 7 months but then I will be coming back. I have been there 10 years nearly they can't get rid of me that easily!! Lol xx

Good luck I hope you have some good news soon about the job!

Hi, sorry I have hopping across here. But just wanted to share.
I applied for an internal permanent position when I was heavily pregnant and was sure I wouldn't get the job as you said they can always find another reason.
I had the interview the day before I went into labour and was successful in getting the position.
I was told if you can prove you are the best person pregnancy cannot come into it.
Good luck x

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi ladies
Just wanted to give you a quick update....I had an informal chat today with the Production Manager who is in charge of the position I have applied for...He said I have the experience they want as I have been with the company 10 years and he offered me the position there and then!!! I then had to tell him about being pregnant to which he said it is not an issue and he is very happy for me!!! I feel like an enormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders as I now have a permanent job again!! He wants me to start on Monday!!! I want to thank you ladies for your help and advice xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back