Appetite

Rosieroo

Reaction score
I was expecting to have a huge appetite with me breastfeeding, but I feel sick most of the time. Today I've had a few mouthfuls of muesli, a poached egg on toast and a yoghurt. All of those were hard to get down. I'm worried that this is affecting my milk supplies (though is helping my weight loss, I've lost another stone since coming home from hospital), but I really cannot eat.

Anyone else feeling the same?

Yep me too, all I want to do is drink, I've even been to McDonalds to try and temp me but I just ordered 2 drinks!! I've lost a couple of stone too. The minute rubie latches on I get this massive thirst come over me and HAVE to have water, it's really strange...

I've been trying to up my fluid intake as I am a bit naughty and haven't been drinking enough, but downing a glass of water makes me want to urge.

Have gone right of my food. I can't finish my meals (before I was pregnant I had a fantastic appetite) and I also feel sick. My HV keeps telling me to eat well but I just can't get the enthusiasm for eating. Am also worried about it affecting my milk supply

I don't think it affects your milk supply or so my midwife says so don't worry :D

It's a tricky one, you need to try and eat and drink as much as you can (even though that sounds hard), other wise you will produce less milk and the milk may not be as rich as it should be.

I nearly had to give up on boob when I got gastric flu as I did not eat for a few days and was sick etc and I noticed how the milk looked different and got less. However, when I got well I stuffed my face again and it came back in time - had to wean Dom early though cos of this.

I thought my milk had been looking more watery. It's obviously not satisfying her enough either as she's been on a lot more lately. Will have to try and eat more because of that.

rosieroo said:
I thought my milk had been looking more watery. It's obviously not satisfying her enough either as she's been on a lot more lately. Will have to try and eat more because of that.

My milk is very watery at first, later I know it gets thicker,but I never really see that as it doesn't come out so easy...you know what I mean?
Breast milk is a lot thinner than formula, so remember not to compare them!

My understanding is that - as in pregnancy - if you don't eat, the baby will still get what it needs, but you will lose out on nutrients that you need!! That's why you sometimes see pictures from areas of terrible deprivation and the mothers look like skin and bones, but the breast fed babies look just fine.

This is why the sale and promotion of formula in developing countries is such a crime!!!

So don't worry about it. Eat and drink what you can secure in the knowledge that your little darling will be getting all she needs.

Lack of food and drink when trying to express seemed to dry my milk up, or at least was half the cause.

Sami said:
Lack of food and drink when trying to express seemed to dry my milk up, or at least was half the cause.

Exactly! You seem to express for ever and any get a small amount for your troubles.

Also stress is a big cause of milk to dry up, so we need to invent a chill out keep our milk in preying mantra ;)

My appetite is slowly getting better, trying to have healthy stuff when I do feel hungry.

Does anyone drink a pint of milk a day? I heard that you are supposed to, but I don't know if it would make any difference or not?

rosieroo said:
Does anyone drink a pint of milk a day? I heard that you are supposed to, but I don't know if it would make any difference or not?

Glad you are munching more.

The milk thing is an old wives tale, it does not take milk to make milk, you don't see cows drinking milk ;)

Water is the best thing to gulp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back