Anyone with degenerated fibroid?

alliumali

Reaction score
I'm 21 weeks and after a couple of days of the most unbelieveable pain have just been diagnosed with a degenerated fibroid. The pain is so intense and constant and it's impossible to rest as it hurts to lie down. I'm hoping it will only last a few days but just wondered if anyone has any experience of them?

Sorry honey I haven't but hope you're feeling better soon! :hug:

Heya :hug:

I'd never heard of this before so went and did a bit of reading up on it. Found this

Q: What can happen to a fibroid in pregnancy to make it painful? Can embolization be used during pregnancy?

A: Embolization is NEVER used in pregnancy, even if the fibroid becomes painful. Any possibility of pregnancy is an absolute contra-indication to the procedure. The treatment of a painful fibroid in pregnancy is rest and pain-medication. It tends to quiet down quickly.

There is, however, an interesting comparison between embolization and the "Painful Pregnancy Fibroid." A painful fibroid in pregnancy is often due to something called "Red Degeneration" - which occurs in about 10% of fibroids. It happens when - because of the stimulation of pregnancy hormones - the fibroid enlarges very quickly and outgrows its blood supply. The central area of the fibroid degenerates - much the way a fibroid does after embolization. The difference appears to be that the process is much less complete in "Red Degeneration" than in "Embolization". Later on, fibroids which have undergone Red Degeneration - may re-grow. Embolized fibroids never grow again.

Taken from here

I also found a heap more along similar lines.

Hopefully you are able to take pain relief, even if only paracetamol and lots of rest. Can you prop yourself up with pillows in a comfy position to rest? What else did your GP or MW say about it?

I really do hope it passes for you soon. I can't offer much else other than these :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to talk more :) I shall drop one to you later, just life has been hectic of late. Lots to catch up on and sorry I've been so slow getting back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back