Anyone with bleeding or has had bleeding - this may help!!

Bella83

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I have been on the forum for a while now. Started off in LTTC. Was too nervous to really post in tri1 but I thought id post my experience in case it helps anyone who has had bleeding at any stage.
After 6 years of ttc I got my shock bfp at the start of dec.
I started bleeding at 5+3 and had my first scan at 5+4. By the time I got to 12 wks I had had more trips to the hosp (both a&e and epu) and the gp
Than I can remember. It was always the same story in a&e - they didn't really care and would book me a scan for a few days time. I repeatedly asked for an internal exam to make sure my cervix was closed but this was refused as I wasn't an urgent enough case. Well I had a scan at 12 wks and was told all was fine and hopefully the bleeding would now start to ease. It did not. At 12+3 I had a bright red bleed and went to a&e again. Again nothing was done. I was furious so rang the midwife. She arranged a consultant appointment for me the next day. He did an internal and could see straight away there was a problem with my cervix. I was referred to see another dr who was fantastic. Straight away he could see I had a large cervical polyp. As soon as he touched it I bled everywhere. He removed it there and then, saying he was 99% sure that is what was causing the bleeding. He explained that during pregnancy the cervix becomes more vascular and bleeds easily. The polyp was so full of blood that could explain the bleeding. He also said that it could have grown since I got pregnant due to the major hormone changes.
Since I had this done last Monday...I bled for a few days which was to be expected...I don't want to jinx myself but things appear to be 'settling down'
When looking online and on this forum I never found any mention of polyps!!!
So girls...if you have bleeding and it's on and off please ask your dr to check your cervix and ask about polyps! If someone had checked me many weeks ago it would have saved weeks of heartache!!
Im now 15+4 and have only just started telling people due to all the problems.
I hope this helps someone!!!

So glad everything is ok now! And massive congrats to u!!

U should post this in the tri 1 section because bleeding is one of the most popular topics in tri 1. It frightens A LOT of ladies xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I was thinking I would. I just didn't know where to post 1st!

Thank you for posting that as I've have two heavy and one small bleed. Had a scan and all ok with LO. A cervical polyp would explain a lot and it's a big confer to read your post. Thank you for sharing xx

Has any of the bleeding been after 12wks? If so you can ask them to check your cervix. Does your local hospital have an emergency gynae clinic your midwife can refer you to?

Yes they were at 14+5, 16+2 and 17+1. I had a scan at 15+1 and everything was ok with LO but I've not had an internal scan. I think they are reticent to do that in case of introducing infection.

So glad everything is OK now and that you got a solution rather than being panned off xx

Firstbaby - I can understand that. Iv had 6 internal scans and 5 internal exams. On my last exam at the end of my treatment I had a swab for infection and all came back fine. The only thing I will say is that I was told polyps can cause problems with labour and you may not dilate. It might be worth suggesting if u do have another bleed?
I have a consultant appointment later to discuss options as iv been classed as high risk (the bleeding isn't my only problem...I have allergies to anaesthesia and pain relief also!!)

Hi Bella, thanks for that, Im sure that'll be a lot of comfort to some of the women on here! Congratulations on ur bfp and getting to tri 2, and I wish you all the luck for the next 25 weeks :)

Hi Bella, I think it's a really good idea, I had no idea that they can cause problems in labour.
I'm allergic to some form of pain relief too, mostly aspirin based or steroidal based medicines set off my anaphylaxis. I can't eat fresh fruit either because of the silicilates (natural aspirin) found in them. I'm just a bit weird :)

I'm really grateful you shared your experience on here. I've been worrying loads about it. I had another very small bleed today after a bowel movement and I guess the pressure from straining (sorry for the TMI) burst it. I stopped after a few hours.

I have an appt with the Mw for next Friday now so will raise it then
Xx

That is exactly what I kept getting...being constipated (and straining!) sorry!! Started it off and it would stop after a few hours. Xxx

glad alls well and congratulations :) i had bleeding too and this would of really helped so defo copy across to tri 1 doctors take more notice if you sound like you no what your talking about lol, enjoy the rest of your pregnancy :) xxx

Its great to hear you are progressing!! Glad people share these things as things do sometimes get passed off by the medics "as one of those things" 11 years ago I was diagnosed with an imcompetant cervix and in those days the internet was not what it is now so there was not a lot of advice or research done. Thankfully we now have two beautiful boys aged 10 & 8 with a little sister on the way for them all with the help of a cervical suture,
Good luck to you xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back