Anyone tried real cotton nappies?

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by joshieg, Jul 8, 2005.

1. joshieg

joshieg New Member

Hi, I've just been onto a website for real cotton nappies and was going to order some for when I've had the baby but don't know if they look like they're a bit too much hassle. I used disposables when my son was born but fancied trying the real cotton ones.

Anyone help??

2. BubbleOne

BubbleOne Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It really depends on your reasons for using them. Me and my partner considered them but more from an environmental point of view. But we found some research that suggests there is no strong evidence that cotton nappies are better for the environment because you have to wash them at 90 degrees and you obviously use fabric detergent. Also consider the amount of extra washing you will all ready have just with a new born alone!! And I think they take ages to dry too so you probably would need to tumble dry them.
    I think it does work out cheaper using cotton nappies though.
    I would say follow your instincts. You can buy trial packs with just one nappy and a few liners. Some people even use both!!
    Hope I haven't confused you more!!

3. Manda

Manda Well-Known Member

Hi, i will be using both types of nappies reason 1 is because we cant afford disposables all the time and number 2 i think cotton nappies are kinder to baby as air can circulate easier around babies bits which should help prevent nappy rash (i can remember when my periods 1st started and how sore towels could make you, i think diposables would have the same effect on baby) the plan is to use cotton ones around the house and disposables when i'm out and about cos i dont fancy carrying ditrty nappies around with me.

As for washing them, everyone says think of the extra work but it's not hard to load a washing machine and then either hang them out to dry or tumble dry them is it!

4. ohmy5

ohmy5 Member

and I loved them. We used a diaper service though. And I couldn't/wouldn't do it any other way. Without the service I, personally, don't see it as a possibility in my life. We are pregnant with our 5th, a blessed surprise. If I could find a diaper service I would do it again. It made potty training easier. And back when, 10 years ago, it was less expensive to do the diaper service than it was to use disposables. I also preferred the feel of cloth over disposables, and the reactions or their bottoms reactions, to the cloth over the other. So I've used cloth for two and disposables for two. I know that it is not much but there is my opinion.

a mom in Kansas,
    :)