Anyone treated with methotrexate for ectopic- any responses would be great as so fed

Keeponhoping

Reaction score
Hi all, I had my methotrexate injection on the 27th of April, and the epu have told me that i can't conceive now until 3 months after injection, due to potential birth defects if I did fall pregnant, which is annoying in itself as feel like I'm missing out on 3 precious months of trying, I'm 32 so I worry about my age and didn't really want this 3 month pause! But anyway I suppose I will just have to go along with it as don't want to risk anything.

Just some questions if anyone can answer, as hospital are not very forthcoming with info!
1. When did your bleeding stop after the injection
2. When did your first AF arrive
3. What vitamins/pre conception vitamins did you take when allowed as I want to prepare my body as best as I can for next time

This experience has been a very long and drawn out process, and just feel a bit fed up and hope someone can help, thank you everyone.

Hi keeponhoping,

I know exactly how you feel as i had to have that nasty stuff in November, and it really is horrible both phyically and mentally. Its such a drawn out process as they monitor you back to having no hcg and the not trying was so hard for me mentally. to cope i planned lots of activities in the waiting time - like catching up with friends i hadn't seen for ages etc and then a big holiday in Feb to mark the end of the not trying period. I've just turned 35 so i know what you mean about worrying about running out of time - but you still have plently of time so that is one worry that you shouldn't have. The good news is that 1st month of trying again we concieved and i've 12 weeks today. so to answer your questions

1. everyone is different - i didn't bleed much full stop during the whole thing, others probably bleed a lot longer - i guess much like a miscarriage everyone is different
2. my cycle came pretty much on schedule - probably about 5 weeks after the injection - but again like miscarriage i think everyone is different
3. no supplements, especially folate, until the hcg is back to 0 and then i took a pre conception vitamin and a folate tablet (so extra folate) as your reserves are fairly depleted after the treatment. And as far as i am aware if you have too much folate for your body it just comes out in the pee and does no harm.

i'm sorry you have had to go through this but i found distraction the key while you are still in limbo and hopefully you will fall pregnant quickly afterward.

Sorry to read this has happened. How has the injections affected you so far? I hope the 3 months passes quickly for you and then you can start TTC again soon. Best of luck with it all

I have rheumatoid arthritis and unbelievably the rheumatology nurse has advised its perfectly ok to take methotrexate when pregnant. I work in a GP surgery and my friend who works with me is a medicines manager and its unsafe to even touch the tablet version whilst of child bearing age as it can affect fertility so much and is likely to cause a miscarriage between 90-97% of all pregnancies. Quite shocking she thinks its ok to take it really. My next appointment has been put back until September now so I am as yet unmedicated but I will be refusing to take this

Thanks so much for your reply platypus, and you have given me some hope, and many congratulations to you and hope everything continues to be OK for you! So it really is worth the 3 month wait, no point in putting anything at risk before that. Just a matter of hanging on in there!

To sparklegirl, the injection has pretty much exhausted and drained me, no energy whatsoever and I'm bleeding quite heavily and passing what appears to be some pregnancy tissue but not sure, apparently this is all normal and just got to ride it out!

To both of you! Just hope come Wednesdays blood test my levels will be hitting not pregnant with all this bleeding, hcg was at 150 a couple of days ago so I'm getting there!

I had an ectopic in June and chose methotrexate to dissolve the embryo. I think I bled for around 10 days - not really heavy, just a steady flow from start to finish. I suffered with a terrible stomach for about 3 months after treatment as it seemed to aggravate my IBS, but that also could have been stress. I made sure I took plenty of time off work (I had had 2 miscarriages prior to the ectopic and went back to work too quickly so gave myself plenty of time to revive physically and mentally). I took 8 weeks off all together.

My cycle returned after 5 weeks - the first was quite painful for me, but everyone is different.

I've been taking pregnacare conception vitamins and have got on with them. I fell pregnant in Feb is year so 7/8 months after the ectopic and treatment. I was 32 at the time of ectopic, now 33. To be honest, the break was welcomed for us. And I would recommend that to anyone - ttc is so thought consuming, taking a step back can be very therapeutic for both of you. Be a couple for a few months again, be selfish and go away together to places you might not be able to with a child. Our BFP was a surprise - we hadn't been actively trying but hadn't been careful either. We were planning a trip to Australia in November and are instead having a baby which was the only thing that would stop the trip :) obviously we are over the moon with how things have turned out.

Few free to PM me any time xx

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Millers missus! I agree I think we need the 3 month break, too scared to even think about becoming pregnant again incase it happens again! I will have had 2 months off by the time I go back to work just physically and mentally drained. Got another hospital visit on Wednesday in the hope my levels have gone to 0, were 150 last Wednesday. Hopefully then can start my pregnacare conception tablets and to prepare my body as best as I can for next time. I'm sorry to hear of your losses and so pleased to hear you're expecting and I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy. So pleased to hear a happy ending! X x

Thanks for your reply Millers missus! I agree I think we need the 3 month break, too scared to even think about becoming pregnant again incase it happens again! I will have had 2 months off by the time I go back to work just physically and mentally drained. Got another hospital visit on Wednesday in the hope my levels have gone to 0, were 150 last Wednesday. Hopefully then can start my pregnacare conception tablets and to prepare my body as best as I can for next time. I'm sorry to hear of your losses and so pleased to hear you're expecting and I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy. So pleased to hear a happy ending! X x

I was exactly the same, and to be honest I have been terrified this whole pregnancy!!! I've had no bleeding, but every twinge, pain, anything filled me with panic. It's not easy a bfp after a loss so again, take time out for yourself next time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back