Anyone suffering with back ache?

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
Hi just wandering if anyone is suffering with back ache. I am 5 weeks pregnant and for about four days now I have had back ache in my lower back and sometimes it spreads to the top and around my shoulders. I am really uncomfortable and can't help worrying this could be a sign of miscarriage in the near future. I have period type cramps occasionally but I have heard that is normal.I will probably ring my midwife tomorrow when the surgery is open but was hoping to hear some of your thoughts today. Thanks :?

yes i suffer real bad and have done since i was about 6 weeks its horrid i got a bump support band the other day from babies r us. but it was a waste of money, so im just having to try and get on with it :(

Oh don't talk about back aches!!! Mine is driving me insane. I'm in quite a bit of pain at the mo. Like Dionne I bought a support belt & it's just a waste of money in my opinion.

My lower back started to hurt at about 6/7 weeks I think & spread to the middle, which gives me the most pain now. I also have SPD which doesn't help :( .
Having a backache in pregnancy is perfectly normal, the hormone relaxin causes the muscle and ligaments to relax so they don't hold & support your back/hips etc like they would do normally, this is one reason why you get constipation in pregnancy too :shock:
Also period type pains are all poar for the course too i'm afraid but again its normal so don't worry, its everything stretching and getting prepared for your growing baby, at about 12 or so weeks you'll start to get pains all around that area too, this is about the time the baby starts to come up out of the pelvis, so unfortunately expect more pain & discomfort (sorry - probably not what you want to hear!!!)

Anyway, when you next see your Midwife let her know about your back, because you'll be able to get physio on the NHS. My M/W was aware of my backaches & did nothing about it, i've now got a new one & she was really cross that I hadn't been referred to see a physio ages ago, so hopefully will be seeing one soon (better late than never! :lol: )

All I can suggest is getting a gym ball, if you haven't got one already. Start doing pelvic floor excercises (helps, so i'm told!) have soaks in the tub, get massages and make sure you try and support your back wherever possible & don't slouch when sitting and don't stick your hips/pelvis out forward when you stand (things i've only just learnt, wish i'd been told 28 weeks ago!)

Sorry, i'm rambling now :oops: Hope it doesn't get too bad, it can be such a pain (scuse the pun!)

Nicki.x

Hi well I spoke to my doctor today about the back ache and he said that unless I have bleeding or discharge with it not to worry. The doctor said I can take occasional paracetamol if I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back