anyone sleep in same room with toddler and newborn?

BunnyN

Reaction score
Not really sure if this is the right place for this question but wasn't sure where it fits. LO is 10 months and we are TTC. She sleeps in her cot pushed up against our bed. It works well and we probably wouldn't be planning to move her to her own room for a year or two but if I get pregnant again it will complicate matters. Would sleeping in the same room with a toddler and a newborn be a nightmare? Has anyone had this work well for them, or tried it and found it didn't work?

my son is nearly 18 months and has been in his own room since he was around 8/9 months. The only time he comes in with us is when he's poorly. He had a bad cold not long back so he stayed in with us for a few nights as he hates being on his own when ill, it was aweful! Every noise and cry the baby made woke him up constantly. I know it's not quite the same as having them in all the time but i don't think i could do it lol

I personally don't think it would make a difference if newborn was cosleeping and you were feeding (is that your plan?) as they barely make any noises then, and youd maybe just need a very dim light if you had to change a nappy etc.
Having said that, my second and third started were in our room until just gone a year, and then they seemed to start waking more often. I found putting them in their own room, with a few pictures of things they were just starting to understand/talk about (mummy, daddy, dinosaur, peppa pig, Thomas etc), they're own new duvet cover, a few toys etc must have been quite exciting for them, and they slept much better.
Its just a play it by ear one, I suppose. Do whatever is the right thing at the time.

My son slept in our room until he was 17 months (not by choice, we were in a 1 bed place then).....he never slept through, and DH took to sleeping on the sofa as he couldn't sleep with the noises of our son. So not really ideal!

We moved when he was 17 months and set up his own room - and our first night there - he slept through!

I guess if your lo is used to it and you can all sleep then it will be worth trying with a new baby too - does she sleep soundly enough for you to make 'some' noise without waking her?

I had always thought I'd put her in her own room when she was about a year old but I guess I just don't feel she is ready for it yet. Of course 9 months is a long time so I might feel different by then but if she is going to her own room before the baby came I'd want to make sure she was settled before little brother or sister showed up so that it's not too many changes at once. So I need to think about it now, especially because getting her room ready will mean doing some works on the house.

LO still wakes 2 or 3 times for night feeds but I honestly don't think putting her in her own room would help her sleep through because she wakes even more when I'm not near her. She is very active and usually starts crying and gets to her feet even before she wakes up. I try to keep her asleep longer by putting her in a sleeping bag and tuck the blankets around her tightly which helps a little but she still manages to get to her feet. Once she i properly awake it takes ages to get back to sleep so when I am close to her at least I can settle her again quickly. She is not the soundest sleeper but we can make some noise once she is properly asleep. If she wakes extra times it's usually because of a gassy tummy (which she is prone to because of food allergies) or teething pain rather than noise. She was the loudest newborn I've ever met, her cry could be heard half way down the street, lol, so if #2 has a voice like hers it could be a problem! I plan to tandem feed if LO doesn't self wean before then.

Reading this over I think I'm crazy to be thinking about having two in our room but then I'm crazy to be TTC again when LO is only 10 months!

Last edited:
My son was 6 months old when i fell pregnant again! We must be mad lol

My toddler (19 months) is still in our room as I currently bedshare with her and Dh is downstairs. I plan on having her in her own room by July (when number 2 will arrive) but if she's still not ready I'm not going to force the matter so we may well end up all in the same room. With the experience of dd behind me I'm now going to get a bedside crib (sometimes called a co -sleeping nest or crib) that goes right up against the bed with a drop down side. I have found dd slept so much more soundly when she could reach out and touch me, I plan on taking advantage of this.

So yeah, if it works for you go for it, doesn't matter what people think :) xx

my ds is in with us most nights, he does go in his own room before I come to bed but he still wakes so much at night he normally comes through as I go to bed so I plan to have both in with me, going to get a side car crib for baby and ds will just sleep the other side of me as he always has. he's 29 months btw and he started sleeping (sometimes!) in his room at about 12 months x

I've bought a Babybay, so excited about it coming!! Really takes the pressure off having LO in her own room before baby comes :) xx

Just seen this, don't worry having my son and baby in my room worked just fine

He was 2 yrs 9 mths when baby Roman arrived and we had a cot and co slept , he had a toddler bed. The boys have both moved into their own room about 3 weeks ago. ( ages 3.5 and 11 mths) Baby Roman is a pickle at night and still bf 3 hrly ! So he starts in his cot then comes in my bed after waking.

Your first lo will just adapt to your new routene and noise levels etc

Last edited:
Thanks JJ mum. I just started sorting our bedroom last week to fit another cot in. I've worked out how two will fit now which is good. LO always had her cot pushed up beside my side of the bed so that I could pick her up without getting out of bed in the night. I thought I'd better get her used to sleeping further away before the new baby arrives. She's been fine with it. Its mostly her dad who gets up in the night with her now anyway. She still isn't the best sleeper so its going to be fun when we add a newborn to the picture :).

I havent had experience with two however, Jackson sleeps best undisturbed - has slept through since tiny in his room and this is how he likes it. So Id be inclined to say it depends how the new baby sleeps etc as well?

xxxx

I'm afraid LO still doesn't sleep through. It seems worse when we are not close by though because if she can be settled before she has totally woken up it's pretty quick. If she wakes up enough to cry or call for us it tends to take an hr to get her back to sleep again. I'd kind of thought we'd be moving her to her own room about now but because she still wakes it seems more practical to keep her in our room. If the new baby making noise disturbs her we'll have to rethink it. Once she gets into a propper sleep she isn't easily woken by noise so hoping it will work fine. As you say I think it just depends on how they sleep best.

No I havent and I wouldn't either, purely because it's hard enough getting a toddler into a routine without a newborn disturbing it all. There were nights where riley would come and get in bed with us all but it was a bit of a nightmare tbh. I've got 3 boys in a room now and my daughter on her own. No children allowed in my bedroom lol - adult space only until the baby arrives.

My son has always slept in our room. I have no plans to move him because of the baby coming. He sleeps 12 to 14 hours a night and they say don't fix what isn't broken. I can't imagine trying to force him to sleep alone when it is not what he or I want to do yet. My 4 year old prefers to sleep in her room and has for quite some time, except when she is ill. I trust that my son will get to the point that he would like his own space as well.

my son has been in his own room since he was 6 months old. he sleeps through every night unless he is sick and has done from being 2 months old more or less... I personally believe its good for them to have their own space and having a newborn and a toddler in your bedroom would be an absolute nightmare. newborns wake up a lot and cry a lot and I personally feel it would just disturb his sleep pattern,

Just to update, we decided to go for it and it worked great. They are both still sleeping in our room. They rarely wake each other up. DD is almost 3 and we are starting to think about moving her to her own room . She seems like she will be ready for it soon. I am pregnant again too so will need the space in our room when new baby comes.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has let her sleep with her longer and now she has the problem that the little one doesn't want to sleep in her room anymore. Now she is 3 years old and still sleeps with her mother in the room. I don't know if this is so ideal, but last but not least it's up to everyone to decide for themselves how to handle it.

my son has been in his own room since he was 6 months old. he sleeps through every night unless he is sick and has done from being 2 months old more or less... I personally believe its good for them to have their own space and having a newborn and a toddler in your bedroom would be an absolute nightmare. newborns wake up a lot and cry a lot and I personally feel it would just disturb his sleep pattern,

I agree with this mind. My daughter is 6 months old now, and I am trying to leave her in another room every other day. Now I am pregnant. And I don't want my newborn disturbs sleeping of daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back