Anyone planning a homebirth?

english rose

Reaction score
Hey ladies

I'm planning a homebirth (it's my first baby, so I have a moment of panic every now and then, but I'd really like to have the baby at home if I can).

Anyone else planning a homebirth and if so what things are you getting ready for it?

I've decided against hiring a pool - I'd rather stay as mobile as I can, and I think the stress of getting it all set up might be too much for my hubby!

I've ordered a TENS machine (to hire) and I'm listening to a hypnobirthing CD (when I remember ha ha!)

I've also got an old washing up bowl (in case I'm sick), a couple of shower curtains (to put on the floor and sofa) an old duvet cover (for over the shower curtain) and some old towels. Got a few maternity mats/inco pads too, though I'm hoping the midwife will bring more of these.

I've also packed my hospital bag, just in case. Oh, and I've got a blanket to wrap wround me in case I get chilly after Stage 2.

Oooh, I've also got a couple of old pillows, and I'm waiting for a birthing ball to be delivered - I thought these might help with labour positions.

Any other homebirthers out there, and have you thought of anything else to get prepared?

Thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not a homebirther but just wanted to say u sound really prepared

It's my first baby too and I am having a homebirth!! :) you are a lot more organised than me. We have a birthing pool and a ball to help with birthing positions. Haven't got anything else yet but have been doing hypno birth CDs and also go to a monthly homebirth meeting with other mums who are having home births in my area - its run by the hospital I am at because we have a high homebirth rate in our area. I'm really looking forward to it. I work on the hospital anyway so I really would not want to have my baby where I work, hence the reason I am having it at home! Plus I feel more relaxed at home so am more likely to have a normal birth at home than in hospital! Xx

That's a similar reason to me - I've worked in hospitals for so long, I think it would feel like going to work!

I've only really started to get organised this week, since I started maternity leave.

Nice to know I'm not the only homebirther - and it's good to know that you have a high homebirth rate. I was starting to think I was mad even considering it!

xxxx

I've known 2 people who had home births. One used a pool and had it set up in a bedroom from about 38weeks but it was her 2nd and her first was overdue. I think the hassle of filling it with water or warming it up might be a welcome distraction if you get what I mean?

Not having a homebirth myself but I would really like one, OH is not on board with the whole thing though so hospital it is for me. It sounds like you are very organised!

I'm hoping for a home birth, and been doing hypnobirthing cd's. I will probably buy a birth pool as my sister said it was such a good form of pain relief, but i'm waiting til 36 week scan to see if it's still looking likely before I fork out the money. I have some extra fluid so they want to see if baby is in good head down position. I'm not sure I'd be up for delivering a breech baby at home, even though I know it's been done. I will keep my options open as I have no idea how I will fair, and have the hospital bag ready in case.

I'd love a home birth but not being in the hospital would make me anxious (plus I love the drugs lol)
I do love the idea though, hope it goes well for you all, can't wait to hear about it xx

Poppypd - your plan sounds really sensible to me.....I always say that plan is for a homebirth, but with plenty of flexibility - after all, it might not be the baby's plan! If my baby is breech or way overdue....hospital it is. Good luck with your scan - hope all goes well.
x

I would of loved a home birth, and my midwife really wants them as well. But I live with my in-laws and I can't see me doing that and having them all around me. But when we get our own home (this summer please!!) when we decide to have another baby, I would love a home birth.

Yes I'm planning a homebirth and thanks for the list of things you have got ready, I can't think of anything else but your list has helped me get started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back