Anyone not use sun cream?

Mrs Wibbily

Reaction score
I was talking to MIL about suncream and the importance of it. She was saying she was once advised not to use it but to cover kids up long sleeves hats etc. so as to protect them! Apparently all to do with the chemicals in suncream and how they do more harm than sun!

Just wondered what you all thought, personally I lather mine up as they are out ALL the time so I think it's SO important, plus half the time the bigger boys end up with no tops on and refuse to wear hats, so in my eyes it's imperitive!xx

I didnt put it on until 6 months old but for toddlers, its hard to keep.them out of the sun

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I wouldn't go without it- I didn't use anything too he was around 5 months (which was when we went to Majorca) but its impossible to cover them all the time the older they get- unless you just don't play out with them at all

H is currently in the garden with a hat and t shirt on. That's it (apart from factor 50!!). Too hot for any other clothes!!

Jack is covered from head to toe in factor 50 as soon as he goes out, we literally strip him to his nappy, smother him in it then dress him again. That way we haven't missed any bits plus he usually end up sweaty so strips off anyway. So far we haven't put and on Harry yet, he's 4.5mths, we've just kept him in the shade. Once he's on the move (doubt it'll be this Summer but you never know!) then he'll be getting smothered too x

I didn't use it till B was mobile, I just kept him covered up the rest of the time.

I think some of the 'official' advise is not to use before 6months, and even after to remember that LOs need to be able to absorb vit D from the sun.

It's kinda a judgement call. My DD is very fair like me, and my grandfather died of skin cancer so IMO its essential

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I haven't yet used it on my lo but she's only 5 months. Whilst I can I'm just going to keep her covered up with clothes, her buggy's hood covers her completly and that's got factor 50 protection.
As soon as she starts walking etc ill put sun cream on asif its hot, she'll be too hot all covered up and running around!

I'd heard it was don't use before six months. But they do baby suncream, so I don't know if it's only adult stuff not to use before then?

My son is a fair skinned blue eyed red head so will be going out in factor 50 even in December! Right now I just keep him covered up and out the sun.

It is sunny and hot where I live all the time, it would be impossible to keep my baby out of the sun and still live where we do. Obviously I don't sit him out to sunbathe and I do tie him to me and try and keep him mostly covered, but it is just not practical to be indoors or in the shade or wear clothing enough to guarantee that the sun wouldn't reach him. We also live almost on the equator so it is lot of sun hours.

I use Lovea (totally natural, even safe for the coral in the sea if it washes off in seawater) that I use for bits of him that are often exposed, but vitamin d is so so important that I don't fuss if we are just walking down to the mrt station or back from the post office.
I would never put a commercial, high street lotion on him (or myself!)

I live in Norway where the sun is not that hot so she mostly gets covered with clothes and the rest is either suncream if its during hot sun hours or nth of its not.
I don't like the idea if a sunburned baby but I also don't cove in suncream unless hot sun. I saw first hand a mum with a school kid with deformed bones because of lack of vitamin D.
That been said if we are visiting my parents in Greece for example there is no way to not smother her in suncream at this time of year as she will get burned even in the shade from indirect sunlight if outdoors at any time of day...
So I suppose where you live. How hit its the sun, what time of day you are out and what time of year it is.

I use suncream in this recent heatwave but James is older now, we never used it when he was young.

As he is a winter baby the sun is a bit of a shock to him so he needs it lol.

I do sometimes have him out on the balcony after 6-7pm for a bit as he loves to have a nosy about... I don't reapply suncream that late in the day.

Once the weather cools down I will just keep him covered up in the sun, as James does have very mild eczema and I hate to put anything on his skin.

xxxxx

Last edited:
I use it but only when absolutely necessary and only on skin exposed.

After 2 weeks in Greece I was paranoid about her burning but I kept her covered where possible. Only legs & forearms were exposed mainly. We used soltan once and reapplied at lunchtimes.

She didn't burn once.

In this country I put it on if I have it on myself.

I don't put it on Jack if he's only out in early morning or late evening sun so that he does get some vitamin D, he also has multivitamins every morning. Whether they help or not who knows but I like to think they do x

I use suncream in this recent heatwave but James is older now, we never used it when he was young.

As he is a winter baby the sun is a bit of a shock to him so he needs it lol.

I do sometimes have him out on the balcony after 6-7pm for a bit as he loves to have a nosy about... I don't reapply suncream that late in the day.

Once the weather cools down I will just keep him covered up in the sun, as James does have very mild eczema and I hate to put anything on his skin.

xxxxx

Short sun expose clears my Mum's eczema up completely in this weather and she has it really bad sometimes!! She loves going abroad too :)

Claire - that hasn't worked for James??

Although I wonder if it's because he has suntan lotion on from much earlier in the day.

We have a day in tomorrow [landlord has finally got someone to come and paint communal hallway] so I may keep him free of sunscreen and then let him have a little sunlight in the evening?

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
I too live in a hot country and wouldn't dream of taking Toby out without sun cream on he is soooo fair. The risk of him burning scares me silly. He's had suncream on since he was just under 5 months old but used the sudocrem on designed for infants and was fine with his eczema.

Suncream doesn't actually stop the body's ability to absorb Vitamin D .

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/beauty/news-features/TMG10113242/The-sun-cream-and-vitamin-D-debate-debunked.html
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back