Anyone in the Bristol area?

Melanie

Reaction score
So it looks like by April next year we are going to be back in the UK but we will be in Bristol. I had to look it up on a map because i had no idea where about in the country it was lol.

The move will be because thats where Richard's company has its head office and they want him to take over as the European Financial Controller (he is the Business controller for Hungary at the moment). He will be based in Bristol but travelling alot around Europe too.

The company will pay our relocation expenses and our first 5 months rent somewhere so we have time to sell our house and look for somewhere we want to be.

Im looking for someone with some local knowledge who can tell me what areas of Bristol to look at housing and if there is anywhere to avoid.

Can anyone help please?

I know Bristol a little bit - lived there as a kid and my best mate lived there until recently.

Clifton is really nice (but v.trendy, bit yummy mummy territory!)

There are some nice villages on the outskirts, will you be looking to live in the city or outskirts?

If you don't find any bristolians on here (not sure if there are any?) let me know if you want the low down on a particular area and I'll check with my friend. Renting to begin with is a good idea so you can get to know the city.

:D :D

OH was brought up in Bristol so I'll ask him later which areas to avoid and let you know. Oooh how exiting for you I LOVE Bristol its so cosmopolitan :D

Thanks GG that would be great!
Im not looking forward to it to be honest. I love Budapest, i dont want to go back to the UK because i dont particularly want to raise Thea there. But needs must and i know Richard would be happier back in the UK.

yeah i'm nearby and know bristol very well, i worked there. Clifton is lovely. St Pauls a NO NO!!

Hi,

I'm in Bristol- have been here for 9 years and my OH is a born and bred Bristolian. Ask away! We live in Southville near Bedminster which used to be cheap but has now become the rising place to live if you've got babies and like olives, deli food and that kind of thing it's really odd how it's changed so fast. Where I live it is baby and toddler city and there's so much to do for them because there are so many around. I can check any area you like for toddler groups etc because there's a book with all of them in and I have a copy. Feel free to PM me. I LOVE Bristol, it's a great City to live in as it's got lots of good City stuff going for it but it's not too big. Everyone seems to know everyone still and there are still little areas that feel more like villages in terms of community, especially if you get involved in groups etc.

+++

I have friends in Bristol and they said st pauls a no no too, and lock your car doors if you ever drive through there!

Its a great city too live in Melanie, theres lots to do, loads of shops and the people are apparently really nice. And the pubs are fab!

Thanks! As soon as i know where when we are going and where abouts we will be renting to start with ill be in touch!

i dont live in bristol, but i live close. it is a nice place, one of the nicer citys i would say.

St Pauls isn't as bad as it used to be as a lot of regeneration has gone on there and the new shopping centre being built in Broadmead will also change that area as it will be so close. Most of the prostitution and drug dealing has now moved up to Easton as the area has changed. Actually the smart money is investing in property in St Pauls right now as the prices are still low because of the reputation even though the area has changed. This I have on authority from my brother-in -law Super Intendant and a few friends of mine who are drug and social workers. My OH is a journalist so he sees all the crime reports everyday so he's got a pretty good idea about the crime hot-spots too.

We went to the St Paul's Carnival this year with Elliott and he LOVED it! It was really vibrant and vital. To be honest I think there are much worse areas of Bristol to grow up in- say Hartcliffe and Lockleaze, Southmead, bits of Henbury, bits of Knowle. In those areas I've been in cars when kids have lobbed stones at us in the middle of the day and the schools are some of the worst in the Country. Actually if you look at the recent Primary School league table results that says a lot about the various areas of Bristol.

Other factors are do you have a car? Do you want easy access to Motorways? How much money do you have? Redland, Clifton, Cotham are really nice but are v expensive, Southville, Totterdown, Upper Knowle are within easy reach of the centre but tend be Victorian terraces so a bit cramped for garden space/house size.

If you have areas in mind I can ask people who know people who live there.

+++

Thanks for that Rosebay!
I will have a car maybe not straight away but within weeks of being there. I never thought about the motorway thing to be honest i suppose if it makes it easier to get to places particularly Cirenstester (sp).
Because we have decided not to sell the house in the North East straight away but just to keep renting it out we have about £150-£170,000 to spend on a house but if we need to then we can sell our house in Crook and add about £90,000 on to that. I looked online and saw that for that we could a pretty nice in house in St Pauls or in Knowle.
Renting isnt an issue because to start with at least the company will be paying our rent and they should at least help us to find somewhere.

Thanks for so much help!

Hi melanie, Im live in bristol . Its a great place but there are as with any cities places not so great, st.pauls can be dodgy so i wouldnt recommend but at the same time its really cultured and getting quite trendy in an eco living/organic food type way - if that makes sense! Knowle isnt the best, little charcter mostly council and a bit run down, most ppl i know from knowle are lovely but wouldnt want to stay there if they could afford elsewhere.

I would suggest somewhere like where I live-longwell green, warmley, hanham etc it is a bit more suburban but near the ring road to town and not far from m32 but without being noticable, a good community lots of services. Lots of green/parks and it is technically south glos which means the schools r better as bristol schools have a bad rep-ofsted. Im a teacher too and I notice it, bristol schools that r good are all private high fees which means the local schools tend to struggle.

PM if u need any more specifics hun, also if u do i go to some good baby groups i can let u know about xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back