Anyone have back complications that affected labour and birth?

leesey

Reaction score
I'm starting to get slightly concerned about the fact that I have a bad back due to a winter injury two years ago. I have very little use of my lower back, I can't lift or bend without significant discomfort and quite often get bad pain when my muscles are tired. At its worst it crunches and grinds.

I used to get physiotherapy on it, but was discharged when I showed improvement. I'm going to try to self-refer back to physio.

What I'm worried about is carrying to term and going through labour with that kind of pain and discomfort, and concerned that I'll end up being bedridden. Someone mentioned on pregnancy chat about getting a c-section due to back problems and I don't know if this is something I should bring up to midwife? I don't want it to appear like I think I'm too posh to push!!

I'm quite keen on a water birth, and I imagine this would take the pressure off my back, but still doesn't solve the problem of carrying to full term without being bedridden :(

Has anyone had similar problems and gotten through it ok? xx

I have a disc problem in my lower back, a disc is being severely compressed by my spine, making walking, lifting, moving etc difficult but my back actually got better during pregnancy with my son. It made very little difference to my labour and no difference to my giving birth x I had a drug free birth x x

Maybe you could try a belly band as you get bigger. It will support your bump so your back doesn't have to too much. I,d deffo go for a water birth if you can, the water is brill and will help take the strain off your back, otherwise give birth on your knees, leaning on something, my first was back to back, and the backache I had was horrendous, leaning up on the bed was really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back