Anyone had elective c -section after forceps delivery?

Allysa151

Reaction score
Hi , just wondering if you could ask for an elective c- section after forceps delivery . Not pregnant or thinking to get preg any time soon ( my baby is 15 weeks ) , but I don ‘ t think I could go through it again . I had an episiotomy and forceps aid delivery with my son which really traumatized me phisically and mentally , now thinking seriously of a c- section for my next
X

You can request an elective section on the grounds of a traumatic first delivery x

I had forceps delivery with DD as her shoulder got stuck. Traumatic experience for everyone. I am now pregnant with no 2 and after my 12 week scan I had consultant appointment and she said I will be given a choice of natural and c-section due to what happened with DD.

If I am honestest with you I have no clue what I am going to do!!! I don't fancy another forceps but I am also not looking forward to long recovery after c-section, especially with a toddler to look after as well.

You should get the same option I hope x

Last edited:
I had a very traumatic forceps delivery but after 7 years, I am willing to do it again. It has taken this long to feel ready again though.

The C section option is not viable for me, even thought it may be a bit less traumatic. I don't have time for the extra recovery as I need to be back on my feet and doing the school run after a week or so as I have no support network around me so need to do it myself.

I'm not looking forward to doing to doing it again but I survived it once, I can do it again!

I don ‘t want to imagine how hard will be with a toddler to have a c- section but at this point this is what I would choose. It is hard either way . I love my son so much and I am happy and grateful that he was born healthy despite what I was going through, we will probably see how I would feel when I will be pregnant again :)
Good to know at least we do have a choice , now I would cry even remembering the birth .
KHTW , hope you will take the right decision when the time will come !
Wolfmamma,you are very brave , I do believe after couple of years you kinda forget it and you are just ready to do it again.
X

Last edited:
I had a difficult forceps delivery with my first. Including a shoulder dystocia and a drawn out labour. My baby was broken when she was born and had X-rays at hours old.

I was super worried about it this time round. And obviously high risk. The consultants that I saw did not advise either method of delivery. The choice was entirely mine. And that was induction at 38 weeks or a section at 39 weeks. They outlines the pros and cons of each and he risks involved but essentially left the choice to me.

As I’m not keen on surgery and the implications, and was trying to be hopeful about second labours I decided to try for a vaginal birth, on the understanding that if the same started to happen then I’d have a section at that point. The labour was much more straightforward - apparently this is very common in second labours. You are very unlikely to have the same issues again. And there are things you can do to improve the positioning of the baby and make the labour quicker (read spinning babies). I went from a 21 hour active labour with my first to just over 3 hours with my second. And only gas and air this time too.

Speak to your consultant about it. But ultimately if you’re too traumatised the choice is yours and you can request an elective section.

I don't really have much to add to this as others have said you should be offered the choice.

I had forceps and it was awful, but that was almost 10 years ago and the idea of a vaginal birth still scares me but I have a bigger fear of surgery (always have) when I had my son they said at one point I might need an emergency section and I refused (this was in the midst of labour so I stand by that I was not in the right frame of mind to make that decision) sometimes I wonder if I should have accepted the section, however my sons dad was not supportive at all and I ended up leaving him when my son was 2 months old, so I don't know how I would have coped with the recovery time. I'm also still terrified of a surgery (not just a C-Section, any) so I don't think I would take that option if given it again. I keep telling myself if it's the best thing for me and the baby then I will have to, but I would like to avoid it at all costs.

I don ‘t want to imagine how hard will be with a toddler to have a c- section but at this point this is what I would choose. It is hard either way . I love my son so much and I am happy and grateful that he was born healthy despite what I was going through, we will probably see how I would feel when I will be pregnant again :)
Good to know at least we do have a choice , now I would cry even remembering the birth .
KHTW , hope you will take the right decision when the time will come !
Wolfmamma,you are very brave , I do believe after couple of years you kinda forget it and you are just ready to do it again.
X

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel.

The week following her birth, I used to wake up screaming. I had nightmares for months..... it was horrible. My birth story is here somewhere under my old account.

And I definitely haven't forgotten. A csection just isn't an option for me. I will be requesting an induction even though that was part of why her birth was hell. I'm in no position for a surprise labour as I don't drive and I spend every day alone with no nearby friends or relatives. Plus I walk a mile 4 times a day for the school run so none of these things would make a surprise labour good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back