Anyone had any success with asking for additional leave after maternity ends ??

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Holiday? Unpaid?

Ideally I'd like an extra 2 months and I am having a meeting on Thursday.

I'd take a month unpaid and use my holidays in the last month.

I cannot think of any precedent in my company though (private sector, software sales, not many women and the two before me that have been on mat leave never came back :shock:)

I have been there 11 years, have a good relationship with my immediate manager and HR manager.

I am hoping they can keep my replacement on a temp basis (rolling monthly contract), also the way our deadline works it is better I return in Jan as opposed to midway through a really tight deadline.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any success?

We'll be super skint BUT I think those few extra months with James would really be beneficial to us both?

xxxxxxxxx

I'm tagging 20 days holiday onto the end of my mat leave, I'm encouraged to do this as ill have 36 days holiday when I go back next July. They gave me the option of using my hol & work a 3/4 day week to start with to ease myself back in but at the moment I'd rather have the extra 4 weeks x

No success on this with my employer (NHS), I'm afraid. Really wanted a year following my mat leave as my eldest won't yet be 3 and my youngest just 1 after my mat leave. You may have more success given the info you've said about the company you work for. In my case they just couldn't keep my job open for so long and it's difficult to get temporary staff to cover part-time workers.

I hope you are successful x

I thought this was something we're all legally entitled to? Or at least my boss thinks we are and offered me it. After paid maternity ends we're allowed so many more weeks but unpaid whilst our jobs have to be kept available for us. It never bothered me as I went back early anyway but that's what my boss told me. Hope you can get what you want x

You're legally entitled to 52 weeks maternity leave. My request was for a career break, which is discretionary and made on the basis of whether the company can function without you for an extended period of time, along with other factors.

Pretty sure Carnat is taking the 52 weeks but wants to ask for additional on top of that.

At my place we can ask for a career break but not sure if there is a minimum period only a maximum of 5 years

Yep this would be after my 52 weeks!!!

There is nothing in my contract about career breaks et al, so I am going to have a quick Google and be armed with my facts.

Meeting is tomorrow and I am so nervous. I emailed them my request on Monday so they know what I am wanting to do.

xxxxxxx

No idea about it but wanted to wish u luck for the meeting hun and hope they agree for you!!
Ive heard of it, buit not sure if its depending on company policy or if u have a right to be allowed it!

FX u can xxx

I'm not getting my hopes up but at least from tomorrow I'll know what I am dealing with!

If they don't agree to any additional time off then at least they'll pay me for some of my leave in October (so only two months with no pay) and I'll make sure I book off all my other annual leave well in advance. I want the week of James' Birthday off and Crimbo.

xxxxxx

You are entitled to parental leave, think its 18 weeks in total before the child's 5th birthday, something like max of 4 weeks a year I think unpaid x

You are entitled to parental leave, think its 18 weeks in total before the child's 5th birthday, something like max of 4 weeks a year I think unpaid x

I hate to think the worst but I'd rather not take parental leave. "Just-incase" iykwim?

I'll see what they say today though.

Whatever happens I still have 3.5 months left with James!

xxxxxxx

Well you can knock me down with a feather! My work were fine with me taking an extra 2 months (one unpaid, one as holiday) so I now have another 5.5 months at home with my baby!!

So happy. Also I will be undertaking a slightly different role when I go back - which I requested!! So all in all I am a happy bunny

xxxx

Really pleased for you! It's so refreshing when employers are open-minded about stuff like that (wish mine was...). Anyhow, great news :)

Oh wow, thanks for this diane, I had absolutely no idea! That would at least give me some more options when I go back if I can take an extra 4 weeks per year.

My HR mentioned parental leave.

It is unpaid so most people tend to use it in emergencies only (if the child or childminder is poorly for a bit etc..)

It was pointed out to me that although I can have this leave, it is not advised to use it just because it is there??

I am going back to a full on role so I think they were worried I am just going to pull the 'parental leave' card every now and then?? :shock:

I am going back as we need the money so will keep this leave for worse case scenarios!

xxxxxxx

Parental leave isn't for emergencys; it's for time off with your child, in whatever way you want. You have to give 21 days notice that you want it.

For emergencies you would use dependents leave, which is also unpaid.

Parental leave isn't for emergencys; it's for time off with your child, in whatever way you want. You have to give 21 days notice that you want it.

For emergencies you would use dependents leave, which is also unpaid.

I think I got my type of leave mixed up!

:shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back