anyone got any tips for rib pain??

petchy

Reaction score
i have started suffering from what i believe to be rib pains on the right hand side (an ache in the ribcage area both in the front and back) in the last week or so. i am quite short and have a short torso, so i got a bump early on, hence it only makes sense to me it's getting a little cramped in there - but it's really uncomfortable. it is worst when i sit upright (i.e. at work) as i suppose this "squashes" things even more, but it goes away when i stand up. then 5 mins after i sit down again the ache returns.

do you think this is what it is? or could there be another reason for these aches?

do you have any suggestions for how to ease these aches? it is making it hard for me to do my job properly, as i have to sit down in front of my pc 90% of the time, and the aching stops me from being able to concentrate on work at all. i was planning on working until 2 weeks before my due date, but another 10 weeks like this doesn't seem feasible unless there are any ways of easing the aches. would a "belly bra" be of any help do you think? or are there any other support garments specifically designed to ease rib pains?

help laydees, this is driving me nuts!

Have no advice, but would be interested to see what others can offer. I've been suffering from this for weeks on the right hand side - mine is worse if I am sat on the sofa or lying on my left hand side.

You have my sympathy as it is bloody uncomfortable!

The only advice I've ever heard of is to lift your arm up and put it over your head.

Obviously this isn't very practical and you can't always do it. I haven't heard of any better remedies yet.

I get this pain but in my left side of ribs mainly. I asked my doc as I've been getting it for a good few weeks now and it's due to that pesky hormone relaxin which gave me SPD too. All the cartalidge in your body gets softened by it and if you sit for too long - especially hunched over a bit, or have a full tummy, or just even laying on it, can hurt it and make it sore. Mine hurts a lot in the evenings when I try to wind down too. Sitting for long periods certainly doesn't help it though as your uterus pushes up on it more. Try sitting up as straight as possible whilst at work although I know it's ard if you type alot. My SPD physio advised me to stand with my back against a wall and my legs slightly in front so that my back is totally flat against the wall. Feet slightly apart. Take a breathe in, close your mouth, take in a deep sharp sniff to expand your lungs that extra bit more, then breathe out after holding for just a couple of seconds.

Try doing that a few times and it should temporarily releive the pain.

HTH xx

well i've sent a query to midwives online, lets see what they come up with! i'll post their reply when i get it, hopefully in a few days time.

it does seem to get better when i put pressure on it with my palms, so i might go home and see if i can find a wide piece of elastic - or buy some tomorrow (the type that's about 4 inches wide, like those lovely 1980's belts!! lol) then i'll sew it into a kind of support belt thing that i will try to wear just where the ache is to see if it will help.

i will let you know if it works when i have tried it!!

thanks for the advice sami and sarah - i'll try it at home, and if it helps i will ignore the giggles in the office and do it there too!!

ouch ouch ouch!! get off my ribs baby!!!

if this is gonna carry on every day until i pop, then i'm not sure if i can carry on working for as long as i have planned - i have to get up every 10 mins to walk around, or sit with my arms in the air! lol - good job the old wives tale that the cord will get tangled if you raise your arms is a load of rubbish, otherwise this little baby's cord would end up in one big knot!

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! this pregnancy was running so (too?!) smoothly up until last week. this must be my punishment for not having any nausea in the 1st trimester - or any other niggles for that sake!!!

It's coz we're little probably! Did you try the breathing technique hun? You can do it whilst sitting down too so you don't look so obvious to your collegues :)

Did you try the breathing technique hun?
yep, it worked for a few minutes, but if i keep doing it every 5 mins i'll prob look like i'm constantly constipated!!! and that's one pregnancy niggle i've escaped so far!!! lol

thanks though! :D do you get the rib pains too?

Yeah I do and have had them since I was about 22 weeks. It is agonising and feels like someone is stabbing my in the chest sometimes. Othertimes it's just a niggle.

With your job being a desk job it probably isnt helping at all and I could not sit for more than half an hour without being in pain again either. I am obviously off work for good now so have the luxery of being able to walk around at home whenever I like, but I do feel for you as it doesn't help at all. Try putting either a hot water bottle on it at home to settle it in the evening, or if that doesn't work then try an ice-pack as your ribs may be a bit inflamed from it all. That should hopefully help you before bedtime which can be a nightmare I know. I have days when it isn't as bad, then some days it is awful. With the pain being on my left side I now can't sleep on that side as it feels like my ribs are all going to cave in on that side and that I might suffocate (highly unlikely though!) - horrible strange feeling! I lay on my right side but lean over onto my bump as much as is humanly possible without hurting it. That takes most of the pressure off. Sometimes laying on my back does too but this isn't really reccomended at our stage of pregnancy especially.

Hope that helps a bit hun - just sorry you're suffering! xx

i asked the midwives on www.midwivesonline.com and here's what they replied with this morning - thought i'd share:

Thank you for contacting www.midwivesonline.com

Answer:

Rib flare is discomfort over your lower ribs due to your growing baby pushing your ribs away from their normal position. It may also be that the hormone progesterone, which helps to loosen up the pelvis to help make room for the baby to be born, has caused this unwanted side-effect by making your ribs more movable than before.

There is no guarantee that it will wear off before your due date, you may find some relief by trying to change position frequently and avoiding sitting in low chairs. You can also try lifting your arm on the affected side and bending sideways away from the ache.

I don’t know if a more supporting bra will help but you could try it. Don’t be afraid of taking pain killers. Paracetemol is quite safe in pregnancy if taken according to the instructions on the packaging. Anything stronger, such as an anti inflammatory, may need prescribing, so go see your GP. A possible further 10 weeks should not be spent in agony so seek further advice.

I hope this helps you. Any further questions do email back.

Kind regards

If you find the Ask a Midwife service helpful then please reply on this email with your comments

Cheers for that Petchy.

Regarding the bra bit - I don't wear a bra at home anymore half of the time as it seems to make my pain feel worse :? don't know if you found this.

I hope your ribs start to feel better soon. x

well i'm hoping if baby moves head down soon (he bloody well better do before i get really paranoid, well i already am, even though i'm only 28 weeks and he still has time to turn!!!) it might ease a little as it's his head that's firmly lodged up near the right side of my ribs!

so although it's still early days i'm cravling around a little in the evenings, trying the knee-chest position and the breech tilt, as i'll do pretty much anything to get rid of this ache!!

he does seem pretty comfy in this position i must say... :( trust my baby to be one of the 20% of babies in breech position at 28 weeks.... turn baby turn!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back