Anyone else?

Kate1985

Reaction score
Did anyone else really want to breast feed but ended up having to use formula? For what reasons did you have to? My supply is crap and lo won't latch. Having tongue tie done tues but if he can't latch I may have to call it a day. I feel so guilty about it fen though I don't see a problem with formula was just desperate to feed him myself xxx

I'm sure there are loads of people in this position Hun, me being one of them. I exclusively breast fed my DD for 5 1/2 months do planned to do the same with this baby. However this time round I ended up with very sore, bleeding nipples and mastitis in both breasts. I cried every time I had to feed lo as it was so painful and got to the stage that I dreaded it. My G.P wanted to re admit me to hospital for I'VE antibiotics but Zo begged her to give me one more day to see if the oral antibiotics would work. I also decided to stop feeding so I could get stronger painkillers, etc as paracetamol was all I could use And it was doing nothing. My temperature reached 39. 4 degrees at one point! For me the decision was fairly easy. Having bf before I knew it shouldn't be such hard work and I wasn't enjoying it or being able to enjoy the time with my newborn baby. For me I knew I would regret wasting precious time with my lo more than I would regret not bf. my lo is now a happy, content 4 month old and I have no regrets about my decision. I really hope the bf works for you but if it doesn't, don't beat yourself up about it. In the long term it's such a small part of their lives.

Yes I had a really bad experience with my first where she would scream if i tried to latch her and i had no milk because of blood loss and it majorly put me off this time to the point I was adamant I was formula feeding this time from the start because of the Pnd it caused me trying to breastfeed first time

I have colostrum in hospital and feeding made my section wound hurt badly and the after pains were horrendous so I stopped after 2 days and now wish I'd continued especially wen I see him writhing around with bellyache :( but please don't feel guilty I don't believe there are many out there who would chose formula over breastfeeding most of the time it's not even our choice xx

I was absolutely dead set on BFing. Everything was ok in the hospital although he did get topped up with formula at one point when he wouldn't latch. Got home and it all went wrong. He would sit on my breast for hours and still scream for more, my nipples bled, were bruised, a bit actually fell off one at one point. Expressing was pointless, half a mil here, maybe an ounce there. Milk never appeared till day 5 or 6 if I remember rightly even then my supply was rubbish, when I stopped I actually dried up overnight!

I was at high risk of PND due to a huge history of depression and all the stress of trying to BF, express, top up with formula was pushing me over the edge. Day 10 and my midwife advised me to stop BFing as I was running myself into the ground. It took me a few days to properly give up as I thought I'd keep going and it'd somehow work out.

When I finally switched to formula, I was devastated. Took me a few more days to accept my decision fully BUT Michael is a HUGE baby (9lb 12oz at birth) taking 28 to 35 oz a day, no way I could have kept up with the rate at which he eats. He is happy and gaining weight so well (on the 75th centile!) and I am happier and doing well. He sleeps through the night already and I can let Daddy share in the feeding.

Do what is right for you and your baby hun. Happy Mum = Happy Baby.

Just my experience xx

Last edited:
I might be slightly different. I BF till he was day 5. My milk supply was rubbish, he was crying more than ever. I was in tears my baby was hungry. I was in pain. My oh stepped in and gave him a bottle, and I felt so guilty seeing how hungry my baby was. He was so much more content. I felt bad about not BF for about a day. Then I realised it was more important to be happy. And spend time enjoying my baby than sitting crying on the couch struggling with BF. my oh lives being able to feed him. He's 19 weeks now and doing amazing. It's sad that people who really want to bf can't, but you shouldn't feel bad :)
If I have another baby I will do the same, give the first few days from me. Then switch to formula xxx

I might be slightly different. I BF till he was day 5. My milk supply was rubbish, he was crying more than ever. I was in tears my baby was hungry. I was in pain. My oh stepped in and gave him a bottle, and I felt so guilty seeing how hungry my baby was. He was so much more content. I felt bad about not BF for about a day. Then I realised it was more important to be happy. And spend time enjoying my baby than sitting crying on the couch struggling with BF. my oh lives being able to feed him. He's 19 weeks now and doing amazing. It's sad that people who really want to bf can't, but you shouldn't feel bad :)
If I have another baby I will do the same, give the first few days from me. Then switch to formula xxx

This is exactly how I felt!

I do feel a bit of a failure. I planned to breastfeed, did it once but then Los sugar levels hit rock bottom and she wouldn't feed and the mws askedif they could ff to ensure her levels rose. She ended up in special care with a tube in her nose to feed her. At that point the mws said I could express but I wasn't aware of how common it was etc and so I continued to ff. As I said I do wish I had expressed really.

yes i was the same hun but due to the size of my boobs and phoebe stressing out i had to give her formula. i got really down and stressed out and felt so guilty about not being able to give her my milk. i managed to get her to latch three times once at home twice in hospital but after that she would stress so i ended up expressing but my supply was also rubbish but i did manage two feeds for her. in the end midwife said to stop. as it was really effecting me. i still feel a bit sad about it but at the end of it all phoebes happy and thriving on the formula :) i hope you can try to breast feed but if you can hun. but if you end up ff at least you gave bf a try. :) big hugs xxx

I was convinced I would BF, they don't warn you if problems before hand, I just thought it would be easy!
Same as above, milk came in at day6 I think, crap supply, despite drugs to help and expressing 8 times a day, supply was diminishing and after 7 weeks still only getting 20ml an express, I gave up, still feel guilty, but hey, what can I do

I never plannef on bf just wasnt me x

I spent 5 days in tears with Enid screaming hungry despite seeing latching consultants and demanding help from midwives who denied that she wasn't getting any milk.

Day 6 we bought formula and I smiled from ear to ear seeing her chug it down happily.

Funny thing is while pregnant I was never bothered about how I would feed her, just wanted to give bf a go...but the immense pressure I was put under absolutely ruined my first week with my girl and I would urge anyone not to worry about how baby is fed as long as you're both happy it really is all that matters.

Enid is thriving on formula :)

My little boy had a severe tongue tie which was undiagnosed then finally cut at 9 weeks, but I tried so hard to BF and I remember sitting in bed crying and feeling like a failure when he was a week old wondering why he couldn't latch properly! It took a while to get over giving him formula and looking back I wish I had asked for more support with BF x

I wanted to bf but tbh o dont feel bad that I couldn't (odd while I was in hospital though)
I had a bit of a tough labour lost a fair amount of blood & had a burst blood vesal
So had to be stitch inside & out had to be cut due to been stitched inside I swelled up alot Down there & had to stay in
Hospital for 3-4 days I bf but as I was healing myself I couldnt do it & did try both but spliy wasnt enough
Your not alone hun theres meany reasons for why can't bf I'm happy I ff as my lb is very happy & content now x

I never planned on BF , if I do have another baby I may give it a go x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back