Anyone else wanting a home birth?

x Naomi x

Reaction score
I really want a home birth, never been in hospital further than A+E before apart from my miscarriage touch wood and i really dont want to be in hospital just to give birth

I am not squemish and not a stressy person and would much rather have a nice relaxed birth in my lounge floating around in a blow up tub with some jazz music on in the background and subtle lighting

Afew of my friends who have had babies think i am bonkers

I am going to mention it to my midwife tomorrow on my booking in appoinment just a little worried that my weight might be an excuse for them to say no - i am about 4 stone overweight although i must say i am only 27 and my blood pressure etc is normal.

Anyone else?

im really interested in a home birth to i jus like the idea of being in control instead if dointhings to suit the hospital. hope u get one :D

Have a read of this thread here

I posted it as I have recently been told I can have a home birth providing the rest of my pregnancy goes well. I'm 37, first baby and overweight :roll: Not put my MW off.

Good luck tomorrow :)

I hope to have a homebirth :)

Please check out these websites;
http://www.homebirth.org.uk/
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/
http://www.aims.org.uk/

You are perfectly entitled to a homebirth if you want one, you do not need permission, but always listen to any advice your GP or MW give, however, they will let you know of worse case scenarios so its wise to read up and prepare yourself. Overweight, older age, first baby, none are reasons to NOT have a homebirth. I really hope you get a MW who is supportive and listens to you :hug:
Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

my sister had a home birth on her first child, she was 35. I was present and I think it was a great experience for her. She was able to take a bath and feel comfortable in her own surrounding (mind, having a dishwasher delivered in the middle of it all was a bit comical!!!). My sister is someone who really likes to be in control of all aspects, so this worked well for her as she was in her "place" so was in full control. Me on the other hand am a bit of a baby and want to be in the hospital so I will feel completely safe (I dont think I would get this feeling at home). I havent visited the hospital yet so may feel abit different when I do.

i'm not sure how i feel about this, if i had to go on what my 1st daughters delivery was like i would say no way, my blood pressure went through the roof and she turned back to back so in the end i ended up having the consultant turning her and pulling her out in an emergency as her heart rate dropped, but my 2nd birth was a dream so so different from the first i actually did most of it myself as the hospital didnt think i was in labour as i wasnt in that much pain all they did was catch her :rotfl: and give me 2 paracetamol after.

i think i would like a home birth this time but you just never know what labour will bring and im about 1/2 hr away from maternity, i think my dh would have a fit if i told him i wanted a home birth :rotfl:

I wouldn't want to clear up the mess!! i like the idea of it bit i like the idea of hospital, they know what they are doing. Remember its your choice, good luck

siany said:
Me on the other hand am a bit of a baby and want to be in the hospital so I will feel completely safe (I dont think I would get this feeling at home). I havent visited the hospital yet so may feel abit different when I do.

I think that is probably nailing it for many. Each of us and our perception of what is safe or safer.

I never felt comfortable with the idea of birthing in hospital, even though I'll have all the medical facilities close by, the fact that they will resort to using equipment and drugs to get baby out, when a MW at home is trained and experienced to get by without.

Of course, with a home birth if there is danger to baby or Mum they will transfer to hospital, so that worry for me is sorted :) But I like the thought of it being in my own time and preferably without intervention from doctors.

My feeling is once in hospital, they treat it like a medical procedure when in fact, unless there are complications, it isn't one. Its a natural thing. But it still gets interferred with.

I do worry about pain relief birthing at home but I never really wanted an epidural anyways, so at least it rules it out for me :lol: I have always been a mind over matter type so it makes sense to me to work through the pain as far as I can.

Hi nw1, I am interested in a home birth too! Its my first baby, and at first I would have said NO WAY but now I have researched and warmed to the idea, and it seems a lot less stressful, from my perspective.

A couple of things I looked up which you might find interesting:

birth pool in a box (only about £70 and they look pretty good!)

Doulas uk (helper / advocate type person, to be there alongside midwife services)

hink I would like both of these. Sorry Icant remember the site addresses! I hope they are of a help to you x

I don't think I'm interested in one. I can understand the appeal of being in your own surroundings but I live in a village and am about 25 minutes drive from my nearest hospital/birth centre/emergency room. I think Sherlock is right about it depending on your idea of safeness, it would probably put me on edge to know that I'm that far away from the hospital.

Also my dog would probably stand on the stairs and watch me. That would really put me off :lol: Either that or he'd bark at me :)

I would like to have a home birth, I wsas thinking this last time but also think it cause when Im in the bath I feel so relaxed and would feel freeer in water...

I big part of me would love a home birth but a tiny part of me is worried in case something goes wrong. My DH is worried about that too.

I know a lot of friends who've had home births and they've sounded amazing. So much more relaxing. You can also have pethidine and gas and air of course at home.

You stick to your guns and push for it. Really hope you get a positive response.

Hi there,

I had a wonderful home birth in water (no pain relief) last July and it really was a fantastic positive empowering happy experience - I can't recommend it highly enough. Please feel free to read my birth story and please PM me if you have any questions about home birth or the arrangements.

I too live in a village about 25 miles away from the nearest hospital with a maternity unit, but this didn't bother me, I guess it does just depend on the type of person you are and how anxious you are in certain situations. I had a real belief that this was what was right for me and my baby, and it all worked out perfectly, but absolutely respect that home birth isn't for everyone.

I am very overweight (probably 6-7 st from my 'ideal' weight according to the NHS) and did hit some barriers in getting my home birth because of this (please read this thread too), but its important to remember that its your right to give birth where you choose, they can't refuse you a home birth (they can strongly advise against it, but not refuse it) - if push comes to shove (ha!), they have to send you midwives to help you labour and birth your baby.

P.S. I had a birth pool in a box - it was fantastic!

Valentine Xxx

Hi Valentine, your story inspired me!

I have the same problem of having the Edinburgh Royal Infirmery as my only option... :shock: so want to go it at home. I'm only 7-8 mins from the hospital in case of anything going wrong, and provided all goes well i'd like to have a home birth too.

I'm not sure about this one, as i'm a clean freak i would want the house to stay clean so when peanut is born everything is tidy, but i don't think that would happen.
I would love a homebirth but the thought of anything going wrong whilst i am at home is scary and off putting, also OH has said NO WAY as he would feel safer in a hospital.

But we are looking at a womans birthing centre which is not lke an hospital environment more like home, and a few MW's in the centre. Apart from that i might just wait until the very last minute to get to hospital.

had my booking in appointment yesterday, the midwife was really enthusiastic about me having a home birth, she said the only think that could possible cause a problem is my wieght as according to her scales i have BMI over 35

She did say though that if that is the only reason then i could insist on one and they would have to give me one

I live about 15 miles from my local hospital but that doesnt worry me at all

had my booking in appointment yesterday, the midwife was really enthusiastic about me having a home birth, she said the only think that could possible cause a problem is my wieght as according to her scales i have BMI over 35

She did say though that if that is the only reason then i could insist on one and they would have to give me one

nw1 said:

I think if you have a BMI of 32 or over on booking, they like to monitor you a bit more closely anyways. I didn't have a BMI of that on booking but I do now, so my MW said they would send me for a 34 week scan to see if homebirth was going to be ok as an option. So long as baby is a decent size and all else seems to be well, she tells me I'll be fine for a ome birth. She certainly has no problem with me having one, and is encouraging it.

Glad all went so well for you nw1 :hug: :hug: :hug:
I have a high BMI, but never got any scan from the NHS after 20wks, but still had my homebirth home visit and paperwork assigned. Though I was never concerned about LO's size anyway :D
They have to abide by your wishes, its your body and your baby, so very best wishes, glad your MW is listening to you :hug: :hug: :hug:

Love the idea of a home birth, climbing into bed afterwards with dh and the baby would be really nice. However, I had an emergency c-section with my daughter and it worries me to think I could have been at home when the problem occured (she was double breech and her foot was wrapped around the cord, she was very distressed), there is no way she could come out naturally, I was in theatre and given a general anistetic within about 2 minutes and she born about 5 minutes later. I live to far from the hospital so I would be scared to opt for a home birth, but think it would be a lovely experience.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back