Anyone else struggling with weight gain?

Sharcaz

Reaction score
I'm 15 weeks tomorrow and I'm really struggling with the whole weight gain thing. I'm so scared I'm putting on too much!!! And will it stop?? Will I lose it ok afterwards??

I struggled with an eating disorder for many years but have been clear for 5+ years now...I knew pregnancy would involve weight gain but thought I'd be ok with it as it all has a reason and baby needs it etc. But I jumped on the scales and I've put on 4kg in total...3kg of that is between 9-14 weeks!! :wall2:

Anyone else feeling self concious or worried about weight gain? I feel so bad complaining but I've been in tears over it...feel so stupid! xx

It must be really hard to deal with if you've had an eating disorder, and I know it's easy for me to say, but please try not to worry.
With my first I worried about weight gain and I gained loads in my first trimester but a lot of it was water and the midwife was not at all concerned.
Unless you have a health problem caused by being overweight, the midwives tend not to pay much attention to the weight you gain. I think what you have gained already is fine. Just continue to eat healthily and do light exercise, but it's very difficult to control how much weight your body wants to gain during pregnancy because it all depends on what's going on inside with your little bubba.
Hope you feel a bit better about it soon x

I'm struggling :-( it's my first so reassuring to read your post Dodsy, I'm just worried about losing it afterwards and the gradual weight gain as the weeks go by. I weighed myself for the first time since about 12 weeks this morning and wish I hadn't. I can tell where I've gained a little weight but the scales shocked me. I'm sticking to Slimming World with the added extra Healthy A and B, I've decided to wind down my running and start pregnancy yoga tomorrow. It's hard, and if you've had an eating disorder in the past it will be on your mind.

Thanks again Dodsy for your post xx

Weight gain in pregnancy is perfectly normal, natural and expected :) so please remember that .

If your concerned have a word with your midwife
Depending on your pre pregnancy weight she'll be able to give you a rough guide as to what's normal for you .
Exercise in pregnancy is safe - depending on the exercise - again your midwife will probably have a list
The exercise may help to keep you focused so your not thinking about weight gain as much - it will also tone you up and gear your body for a healthy pregnancy and labour.

Just make sure your getting all the vitamins, minerals etc you need for yourself and baby.

It must be hard for you as I don't have an eating disorder but I'm worried about my weight too. I'm already overweight so I'll look like s beached whale before long

Im struggling, but struggling to put weight on. I was 9st 3 before pregnancy and now I'm 8 stone 13...... I have suffered with evening sickness most nights but I also struggle being able to mange enough calories in a day without over facing myself. I've never been able to eat lots so now it is a real struggle x

I'm struggling too. Always been slim and into fitness but since becoming pregnant and feeling so sick iv done little to no exercise and have been eating nothing but carbs!

Def feel iv put weight on. Can see it in my face and legs :-(

Thankfully I don't own any scales and widwife has only weighed me at booking in appt so iv nothing to compare it with....yet xx

Thank you all so much for your responses - I have to admit I was a little concerned I'd be majorly judged, but it's so so reassuring to know I'm not on my own with this one!!

Aries - Definitely going to mention it to midwife next week at 16wk app. I think I'll be able to deal with it better if I know the amount I'm gaining is within normal range :)

Sparkles you have a good idea there...get rid of the scales then you can't focus on it :) I was the same pre-pregnancy, my job is very physical and I can feel my stamina going down hill too it's horrible. I feel bad for worrying about my weight because baby needs it...but somehow that doesn't calm my nerves!

Bobby I'm also so worried about losing it afterwards! It's easy to put on but hard to lose - and it sucks that I don't even feel like I'm eating enough to enjoy putting the weight on if you know what i mean!

Dodsy thank you for your reply - very positive way to look at it, I mentioned it to my hubby and he completely agreed :)

It is comforting to know we're all in the same boat Sharcaz

Try to eat plenty fruit n veg but enjoy the treats too :-D xx

I'm 15 weeks on Friday. While I haven't put on a huge amount (2-3kgs, my scales aren't very reliable), I feel constantly bloated and my tummy is enormous. I look 9 months pregnant already! I have also struggled with eating disorders in the past and I'm not dealing overly well with the weigh 'gain'. Feeling very uncomfortable in my skin. I'm a high school teacher and my students are starting to point out my tummy. It's not their fault but I hate it! When other people point it out (who know I'm pregnant), they're always really surprised to find out I'm only 15 weeks. Should I be this big already?? Has anyone tried pregnancy counselling for this issue?

Hi Sharcaz,

I have also suffered an eating disorder (anorexic from the age of 14) and have survived a pregnancy, I am now expecting my second so hopefully am proof that it wasn't too traumatic!

I should note that I have long been fully recovered from my eating disorder in medical terms, but of course the thoughts will always haunt us. Don't feel silly - it is much wiser seeking advice and nipping it in the bud now than letting it manifest.

I gained far too much weight with my first pregnancy (3+ stone) and had a massive shock when the baby came out but the weight was still there! I have struggled since with getting my weight back down (in a healthy way!) but feel in a much better place this time around. I am still technically a little overweight, but I don't feel unhealthy.

Your weight gain sounds completely within limits but please don't get bogged down in the numbers. Baby will have growth spurts, you will have growth spurts, some weeks you will gain and some you might lose.

Be honest with yourself - you know if you are eating well. If you are, you have absolutely nothing to worry about and your body is just doing what it needs to to grow your baby. I know that the lack of control is incredibly scary but please trust yourself, you can do it.

I really hope the rest of your pregnancy isn't plagued by this and you manage to enjoy the other wonderful aspects of pregnancy. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk.

Kate xx

I'm 15 weeks on Friday. While I haven't put on a huge amount (2-3kgs, my scales aren't very reliable), I feel constantly bloated and my tummy is enormous. I look 9 months pregnant already! I have also struggled with eating disorders in the past and I'm not dealing overly well with the weigh 'gain'. Feeling very uncomfortable in my skin. I'm a high school teacher and my students are starting to point out my tummy. It's not their fault but I hate it! When other people point it out (who know I'm pregnant), they're always really surprised to find out I'm only 15 weeks. Should I be this big already?? Has anyone tried pregnancy counselling for this issue?

I really wish people didn't feel it was acceptable to comment on a pregnant woman's size. It is none of their business and they wouldn't do it ordinarily. Those comments hurt, even though you know full well that you're carrying a baby. Ignore it as best you can - it is most probably bloating (it is a huge problem for me still) and remember it is just air!

Completely relate to the not feeling comfortable in your skin comment.. if you feel counselling would benefit, absolutely go for it. Don't sit on problems like this :(

Hope everyone's feeling better soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back