Anyone else self employed?

mrsablett

Reaction score
Now that the time has come and I'm having a slightly high risk time of it, I want to down tools.

Anyone else in this situation? Obviously I don't get paid if I don't work and there is no one else to cover my workload but I'm too scared to even move, truth be told.

Myself and my partner are selfemployed, luckily I deal with the phone and paper work and he does home removals. He wont be able to have too much time off though but on a positive we can arrange things around appointments, scans etc..

Im currently moving home and have been over doing it a bit so need a rest for a few days but not sure I can xx

It's a tough one.

Great that you have your husband working with you.

I'm going to clear my current workload and not take anymore on until I'm feeling a bit more confident of my pregnancy.

Hey, me and my hubby run our own business which means 60+ hrs a week rarely sitting down and currently we can't really afford to get any help in. It's a real drag. Not sure how i'll cope it's a struggle at the moment x.

I was self employed at the beginning of my last pregnancy, I was a freelance photographer. I stopped working at 7wks pregnant because I got hyperemesis. I didn't work again until I was 5 or 6 months pregnant but I hated it when I went back. I did a few shoots over a few weeks then spoke to DH about how I felt and we decided that if we made some cut backs we could get by on his wage, so I didn't go back.
I'm not gonna lie, its not always easy but we do get by. I'm not going to start work again until my kids are 3 or 4 x

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

We specifically bought the house we did because I can work from home and my husband can cover the bills should I not be able to work.

Well that time has come but I'm really worried about the drop in cashflow. Plus time out of work loses the momentum of business I've built up.

I know baby is more important though. So I guess that answers my own question x

It's so hard, I'm kinda feeling that about my second job. I'm a dental nurse in day and a nail tech at night. Some of my clients I have had for ten years when I used to work in a salon and they followed and supported me when I retrained in dental nursing. Feel terrible giving then up but it's stressing me out. It's also another job where once I give up, to get clients back would be impossible. It's a no win! What is it you do? Could you even lighten the load a little? X x

Yep both of us are self employed too! and they way it is, DH cannot work without me being around - so we are just having minimal time off at the birth - a week or more if complications.......totally cannot afford to take longer as we would loose all our regular clients.

I'm a Soft Furnisher. I make curtains and blinds and cushions etc. A lot of my work is heavy pulling and pushing and lifting.

I can pick and choose the lighter work from here on and I have told my current clients that I'm delayed due to health issues (They'll guess I'm sure but I'm not divulging).

Almost all of my work is word of mouth; so once I drop of the radar, it'll be hard to get back on it.

Think I may have another idea too. I'm going to look in to it today.... Part of me doesn't want to jinx things by making plans just yet x

I am self employed a business development consultant. Work can be very pressurised and my Mum is urging me to take it easy. Particularly over the next few crucial weeks when the baby's heart starts beating. Both my previous mcs happened at 6/7 weeks, but did not become apparent until bleeding in wk 10+. It is very difficult to take time off when there are commitments in my diary and my work does require travelling distances of up to about 90 miles.

Some days I have paperwork and reports to do at home, other days I am out with clients.

If there had been anything in my diary this morning I would have had to cancel. I overdid things yesterday and this morning I felt so nauseous, tired, dizzy and cold? and I laid under a blanket for hours. This is the first day I have felt like this. I have been feeling pretty ok until now.

It is hard to cancel or reschedule things for two reasons, one; letting the client down and two; the loss of money.

xx

Hi

Totally understand your frustrations to being pg and self employed.

Me and dh run a boarding cattery, which is basically 24/7 although it's at our home address which is great, and we only open 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the night, but of course 24 hr care needs to be given. We have a young boy that cleans the cattery and it's spottless with him thank god, unlike many other people we have tried. But we are still required to clean and deal with customers as we like to do this ourselves.

Whats more awkward, is that dh has been also working in partnership as a car breakers yard, and it's getting busier each day, and by time baby arrives it's going to be very succesful, with plenty of hours needed to be put in.

I'm not sure about any 2wk paternity leave as dont think that's gonna aply some how, weve agreed we have needed proper staff for ages, but it's so hard to find someone to trust and who is good with customers, at the moment with the kids off for 7wks school holidays we have 2 full days off to take them out!!, and it's upsetting for me as I thought having a business from home would give us the much loved family time we wanted, but it hasnt worked like that, but at the end of the day it's a very succesful business that pays our bills and we enjoy it.

So the plan is to find a member of staff that can help out who can deal with customers face to face, and I can then deal with the paperwork and phonecall/booking side of it, aswel as be able to go to all antenatal apts as this pregnancy will again be consultant led :(

Bek x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back