Anyone else living in a house with empty rooms?

broody2013

Reaction score
It's month 18 of TTC. We got married in 2013 and immediately bought a 4 bedroom house (we are lucky house prices are so low where we live so we were able to afford it). I've been doing a spring clean and it's really hit home how we have 3 empty bedrooms. When we got the keys we were certain we were going to have 2 children who would grow up here and we would need the space but I keep the 'spare' bedroom doors shut all the time as it is so upsetting that we can't use them. I'm having a little cry about it and then hopefully I will be able to keep going with the rest of the cleaning. I would offer someone to rent to rooms while they are empty but they aren't very big and I'm awful at keeping the house tidy and there's always that little voice in my head. that says 'what if you will need the room in 9 months time'.

I've inherited a bit of money from my gran and I've saved it in case we need IVF as I know she would have wanted us to use it for that if we needed to. But I would really rather conceive naturally and I am not good with doctors or needles etc.

I know I am a very lucky girl in so many ways and I am appreciative of that, but it's not helping stop me crying right now.

Last edited:
Aww Broody :hug: huge hugs for you!!

Its amazing the things that gets to us isn't it? We have a 4 bedroom also that was top end of our budget but we bought it over a year ago thinking we'd most definitely be well on our way to having another little one now. And here I am, still not pregnant. Our son has one of the bedrooms but we still had 2 empty so we turned another into our boys playroom/spare room. It really got to me rattling around in the house when I dreamed of noisy kids running around in it. The other bedroom is plastered and painted, carpet going down next week and will just be sitting there empty. It hurts me going in because it should have a little cot etc in it!

Our son is 7 and a half, we waited over 6 years to try for another and now all I think is if I knew this was happening I'd have tried ages ago. I like to have control over my life and know what I'm doing/where I'm going, the limbo and complete lack of control really gets to me. I feel like I'm at the mercy of my friggin ovaries!! I tell myself every day how lucky I am, and I do know it. But on the other hand I think what have I done wrong for this not to happen for us?

That's so lovely to keep the money for IVF but I really hope you don't need it. I have everything crossed you get your little angel naturally hun xx

This may or may not be something you would consider, but what about Fostering?
You can stop any time you want (like when you get pregnant) and you can specify the age group of the child or children.
It also pays a reasonable 'wage' which you could also put towards IVF if you went down that route (or any other expenses).

Or, if not children, many animal charities are keen for people with spare rooms to foster cats or dogs, I fostered pregnant cats and cats with young kittens for 3 years for the local cat rescue.
My foster cats either went in the living room with my cats or had my bedroom, but a spare room would have been better, most who foster have a spare room for the cats they foster.

I hope you get your BFP soon.
x

We have a 3 bedroom house, but we have taken in 2 lodgers so the house is full :)

Great way to earn some extra money. When we finally get our bfp then we will rethink!

I'm having a huge clear out this spring. Out with old in with new.

Are you spare rooms nice and tidy? Is there a space for a crib? There is lots feng shui advice online how to atract a baby into your house.

I've just started practising that as well. x

Thanks so so much for your support girls! I am feeling much more positive today and it's sunny which is nice too! I think it's going to be an ongoing rollercoaster until we finally get a BFP xx

Awww broody big hugs to you ️xxx

I know how you feel I have 2 empty bedrooms at the moment and it sucks!!!! Xxxx

Yep, bought a four bed house six years ago in preparation, and in 2008 I swapped my car for a 5 door, also with a family in mind.

I'll be honest the empty rooms don't make me sad, I like the space and in my mind they aren't nursery rooms or children's rooms yet. If they were I can see how that would be depressing and a constant reminder of what you don't have. I have plenty of things that do make me feel that way but luckily the rooms aren't one of those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back