Anyone else had to reintroduce cows milk to lactose intorent baby?? *update success

lyndsey_28

Reaction score
as the title says really my LO has been lactose intolerent since a birth! however as it does not run in the family and my other children have never sufferered it the doctor and paeds consultant think it might be temporary which is the case for most babies!!

i started weaning at 17 weeks as advised my paeds consultant as i have a big baby now, but now they wont me to try n reintroduce milk solids into his diet!!
like milk added into baby food etc, but still avoid cows milk based formula, yogurts and all other dairy products til 6/7months of age.

my question is how slow do i go/ what shall i try/ when shall i try/ do i stick to one food or vary foods with milk in!! its all so confusing and scary, im hoping he will be ok, but scared incase it makes him ill again :( x

anyone else been through this?? x

just a quick update have now gave alfie food containing milk products twice a week apart from each other and absolutely no signs of a reaction no horrible nappies or anything :) so really happy i know there is still a long way to go but its a start xxx

Last edited:
hi we are just doing this with our LO. He had some about a month ago and was bad so we cut it all again and gave him some this week and fingers crossed he has been ok for 48 hours. Cheese is a good one to try cheddar etc as the lactose is broken down in the maturing process. Maybe try cheese sauces 1oz cows milk the rest formula so its just a little at a time. They told me he would grow out of it and if we didn't try we could make him permenantly lactose intolerant but not introducing it.

hi we are just doing this with our LO. He had some about a month ago and was bad so we cut it all again and gave him some this week and fingers crossed he has been ok for 48 hours. Cheese is a good one to try cheddar etc as the lactose is broken down in the maturing process. Maybe try cheese sauces 1oz cows milk the rest formula so its just a little at a time. They told me he would grow out of it and if we didn't try we could make him permenantly lactose intolerant but not introducing it.

yea that does sound good but my doctor reckons to leave cheese and yogurts til he is 6 months of age, its just so hard as it like reintroducing food all over again :( x

They want you to give him cows milk under 6 months????? Albert's dietician told me to wait til he's a year old.

Semi-skimmed milk is slightly better than full fat so you could maybe try that in some rice at breakfast but personally I would ask to see a dietician

yeh AJ is 7 months now so its about right to introduce now. I probably would leave it a few weeks till babe gets to 6 months and try from there.

Maybe they want me to wait cos he inherited it from me so it's not just one of those things

We have dairy allergy here and currently trying to re-introduce at 10 months. I have tried a few times before only for it to result in projectile phlegm and sick :shock:
I was given a re-introduction sheet by the dietician which refers to the first step as giving yoghurt. If he ever had more than 2 tsp in one go he'd chunder! So he has one tsp with each meal and I'll raise it very gradually, so far so good although I see his eczema breaking out a little. They say it's about doing it in stages - but I'm not sure if it's the same for lactose intolerance xx

BB he doesnt actually want me to add cows milk into foods myself he said to try baby foods with milk products added in and then dairy foods like yogurt n cheese from 6/7 months of age depending on how he reacts! swapping his milk is the very last hurdle to cross and not to be done for a while and i have been refered to a dietician and had the letter come today to ring for an appt!!

i think the main reason for introducing milk solids now is due too there being no family history of it and that his milk intake has reduced by loads :wall2:

xxx

We didn't given solids to Connie until 6 months as she refused.

We were told the best things to try are dairy products that have been put through some sort of process - yogurts are good, or the grotty square burger cheese (I know, the thought of its not good but trust me!) Or to try foods that are cooked using dairy ingredients.

The lactose is broken down a bit by the process/cooking.

Try LO with some dairy and wait for a reaction. If no reaction try it again in 2 days. Stick to the same food, otherwise you won't know which food they are reacting to.

If there is a reaction, we've been told by the dietician not to try dairy again for 6 months. We can try again in Jan 13 when she will be 22mths.

We didn't given solids to Connie until 6 months as she refused.

We were told the best things to try are dairy products that have been put through some sort of process - yogurts are good, or the grotty square burger cheese (I know, the thought of its not good but trust me!) Or to try foods that are cooked using dairy ingredients.

The lactose is broken down a bit by the process/cooking.

Try LO with some dairy and wait for a reaction. If no reaction try it again in 2 days. Stick to the same food, otherwise you won't know which food they are reacting to.

If there is a reaction, we've been told by the dietician not to try dairy again for 6 months. We can try again in Jan 13 when she will be 22mths.

thanx hun

was gonna do the try something and wait a couple of days to see if he reacts, fx it all goes ok and for your lo next time you try x

Oh I see, sorry lol but giving cows milk is the sort of stupid thing our gp would say rofl

My LO hasn't been officially diagnosed as having any lactose issues, but when I started weaning her the cows milk seemed to upset her tummy. So for a few months I gave her the lacto-free milk with her cereal instead of normal milk and no yoghurts, then after a few months she was ok with normal cows milk on her cereal. Then I introduced yoghurts and cheese etc and she was ok with it - it just seemed to take a bit longer for her than some other babies. Now she's 17 months and still bf and has normal cows milk in foods and occasionally to drink, but I still feel if she has a large amount of cows milk as a drink it gives her a bit of an upset tummy so on days when I'm at work all day I leave some of the lacto-free milk if she's going to be drinking a beaker of it.

So after my ramble, maybe you could consider trying your LO with the lacto-free milk as an intro to normal cows milk and see if that makes it bit easier on him?

My son is quite severely lactose intolerant, his dad is also. I was told to give him milk products often to try and build up a tolerance, yoghurt was suggested as being the best and I was told most children grow out of it by 2/3 if they are going to grow out of it. My son is 4 in December and even with the milk products trying to build up a tolerance he's still quite bad x

I would do the spoonful of yoghurt every 48 hours etc then every 24 then twice a day to see if you can build a tolerance up xx GL <3

Well done :eek:D really glad to hear you're having such good results xxx

Albert reacts within an hour. I gave him teething powders once without realising they had lactose in them and his arse exploded in the car :shock: so if you've had no reaction then I'd say it's all good.

I was intolerant as a baby, grew out of it at 1 but it did come back a few times in my teenage years. The gp thought it might have been triggered by stress and teen angst lol

thank bb

when he was born it was just constant explosions at least 10x a day so alll good at the moment just taking it slow as thats what doc said to introduce baby jars with milk solids in but have dietician appt on 13th nov and no doubt will say to do a diff way lol so not gonna do much more til i go there, and hopefuly she will give me some advice on fingers foods and amount i feed him coz dont think im ding enough compared to some of the others on here xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back