Anyone else avoiding early ultrasounds?

Kholl

Reaction score
Or am I the only one?

I want to minimize ultrasound exposure especially early on- unless there's an emergency I'll only be getting the 20-week anatomy scan. I want to limit Doppler use too...

Anyone else?

I'm curious Hun, why? Ultrasounds are 100% safe there isn't any transfer of anything bad to baby. Xxx

ME!

I'm 16 weeks, declined all scans.

I don't plan on having any, nor CTG or doppler etc unless there are any concerns later in the pregnancy which would necessitate a growth scan or tracing heart rate etc.

I'm curious Hun, why? Ultrasounds are 100% safe there isn't any transfer of anything bad to baby. Xxx

Actually they are not 100% safe there is a lot of issue with using ultrasound on a foetus

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundrodgers.asp
(Whilst the first half of the article focuses on autism, if you scroll down a little they focus on the issue of sound & heat - "
"Problems with Sound and Heat

One challenge that ultrasound operators face is keeping the transducer positioned over the part of the fetus the operator is trying to visualize. When fetuses move away from the stream of high-frequency sound waves, they may be feeling vibrations, heat or both. As the FDA warned in 2004, “ultrasound is a form of energy, and even at low levels, laboratory studies have shown it can produce physical effect in tissue, such as jarring vibrations and a rise in temperature.”(9) This is consistent with research conducted in 2001 in which an ultrasound transducer aimed directly at a miniature hydrophone placed in a woman’s uterus recorded sound “as loud as a subway train coming into the station.”(10)"
etc

http://chriskresser.com/natural-childbirth-iib-ultrasound-not-as-safe-as-commonly-thought/

Just a couple of articles, there are lots more.

Thanks for sharing that info Phoenix- definitely thought I was the only one!

I think I'll allow a quick Doppler check at 11-12 weeks because I've had such anxiety over some spotting I had. Otherwise
Hopefully they can use a fetoscope later.

Are you getting an anatomy scan at 20 weeks? I'm on the fence.

We've had to have loads of scans as I've got a unicornuate uterus and one fallopian tube so initially had to ensure it wasn't ectopic, then that there was only one and that their was enough uterus muscle, blood supply etc to support baby. But hubby is a scientist and certainly wouldn't be happy with the number of scans we are having if it wasn't totally necessary and is very strict about doppler use xx

I think I'll allow a quick Doppler check at 11-12 weeks because I've had such anxiety over some spotting I had. Otherwise

No, I've declined the anomaly scan too, however I have an appointment on Monday (16+6) so I am sure they will try to talk me into it, lol, but I'm going to stand my ground.

My midwife was happy about me declining the doppler and said they prefer not to use it now and encourage mums to pay attention to movements instead. She said she'd use a pinnard after about 28 weeks if I wanted.

It's the consultants/hospital based Drs who get funny about declining scans apparently.

Last edited:
We've had to have loads of scans as I've got a unicornuate uterus and one fallopian tube so initially had to ensure it wasn't ectopic, then that there was only one and that their was enough uterus muscle, blood supply etc to support baby. But hubby is a scientist and certainly wouldn't be happy with the number of scans we are having if it wasn't totally necessary and is very strict about doppler use xx

Yes, there is a time and place for these interventions! Same goes for everything. It just shocks me that this is so common and women are not educated by their doctors or midwives about the real risks. Just seems like such irresponsible practice.

Thank you for explaining, I didn't know that! I only had the 12 week 20 and a 37 weeks scan as the midwife wasn't sure if he was all baby turns out they missed that I had very little water so I'm not sure on my next baby I will have more than the 12 and 20 weeks scan. Xxx

I had a one at 8weeks due to a previous miscarriage (blighted ovum) and was due to get married less than a week later and go away for our honeymoon. We needed to prepare if the worst was to happen again. Thankfully all was well and my boy is now almost 10weeks old.
I did also have 4d scans, only to realise afterwards that scans arnt as safe as I had always been told. With my next I will only have the hospital scans to make sure all is well, but I won't be having any extra ones again.

I am facing this now that I’m pregnamt after a miscarriage... I didn’t have an AF after the m/c, but I am pretty sure on my dates... however the reassurance of an early scan would be amazing, though I know I’d just panic as soon as it was done! I’m going to opt for just the 20-week scan but the wait is excruciating.

Last edited:

Unlikely that any midwife will try to use a Doppler so early on.... usually 16 weeks is the earliest that anyone will consider trying. It’s because it’s really difficult to get the heartbeat and causes untold worry to the parents if it’s not found.

Unlikely that any midwife will try to use a Doppler so early on.... usually 16 weeks is the earliest that anyone will consider trying. It’s because it’s really difficult to get the heartbeat and causes untold worry to the parents if it’s not found.

Oh huh, I wonder if the protocol is different in the UK? My midwives have always tried around 11-12 weeks and had no trouble finding it but maybe that’s just been good luck!

Oh huh, I wonder if the protocol is different in the UK? My midwives have always tried around 11-12 weeks and had no trouble finding it but maybe that’s just been good luck!

It’s actually not recommended guidance at all as we like to go on movements for babe’s welfare. However, the sad fact is that dome women would simply not attend antenatal appointments if we didn’t offer this! Most trusts offer it from 25 weeks.

It’s actually not recommended guidance at all as we like to go on movements for babe’s welfare. However, the sad fact is that dome women would simply not attend antenatal appointments if we didn’t offer this! Most trusts offer it from 25 weeks.

Oh whoa! That makes sense actually, thanks for filling me in!

This is really interesting. What ultrasounds do you think would be the best to get? Just the 12 and 20 weeks? I might do this too!

I’ll only be getting he 20-week anatomy scan. I just don’t think more than is absolutely necessary (and I do think that the anatomy scan is absolutely necessary) is worth the risk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back