Anyone been weighed? - High BMI pathway

Gravidgecko

Reaction score
Morning all.

So I am on the consultant-led pathway for higher BMI. It was 33(ish) when I first became pregnant and I was weighed at my very first midwife appointment.

Since then, no weigh-ins!!!

Given that my entire birth plan/ pathway is different and considered 'high risk' due to my weight, shouldn't that be the one thing they are keeping an eye on?

They measrue my bump and the baby, but especially now that baby is measuring on the small side, you would think they would want to recheck my weight.
I've got a rough idea of what I'm at, and I know myself I'm within recommendations for my starting BMI (not that anyone told me - I had to look that up for myself!) but I am worried that my increased weight could be what's keeping baby on the small side. It's also really starting to get difficult to move around.

Anyone else got any experience of NHS and High BMI pregnancy?
Feeling a bit abandoned :(

Im still early but my bmi is 31. I've had 5 miscarriages. So I'm under consultant led. Midwife has referd me to a nutritionalist. Told me the she could help me lose weight or at least control my weight. Have you had that? She said the consultant will probably want me to have extra scans etc.
Maybe talk you your midwife? X

Last edited:
My BMI was also 31 when I conceived but by booking in it was higher as my diet has been awful :( I'm hoping not to put too much more on in terms of excess. I'm not high risk despite this, my mc history and this being an assisted conception. My midwife said at booking in they wouldn't weigh me again. They only class you as high risk if BMI is over 35 here.

I have my own 'helpful people' as I have a history of eating disorders. I have been referred to weight management for after the birth, I just thought it was weird that they would change their whole approach to my pregnancy due to my weight, yet never actually check my weight

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Hiya. Mine was 28.9 at my booking appointment and when the midwife weighed me a few weeks ago it was 35! She didn't seem overly concerned but highlighted it in my notes! I am under a consultant as well but that is because I have opted for a VBAC and he didn't even mention it when I saw him 2 weeks ago! I know they have to keep an eye on it because of diabetes and pre eclampsia but I think if you are healthy and eat healthy the you will be fine. My midwife did mention though that if it had been that high when I was first pregnant then I would have had more referrals xx

My bmu was 35.5 when I got pregannt ( the shame !!) but I'm now 38 weeks and 5 days ... I've only gained 14lbs in total from pre pregnancy weight - baby is estimated to be 8lb 6 -8lb 9 at birth next week.

I kept an eye on my own weight . They weighed me at the beginning / when I had to see the consultant and again at 37 weeks !! They don't really keep an eye on your weight which I agree seems strange..

Maybe they don't want mums to be worrying about all the weight gain and then subsequently not getting enough nutrients to baby - just a theory . They recommend not to diet in pregnancy and just to eat healthy... easier said then done for some people especially if you get cravings for naughty food

I was very fortunate as I actually went totally off coffee/tea/sweets/ biscuits / cake, I even found it super easy to say no to cheesecake and I LOVE cheesecake !

I tried to eat as healthy as poss , salads/veg / eggs/ chicken and limited bread and cakes etc . Because I was off my food I found it easier to say no to bad stuff but also found I was having to force feed myself as i could quite easily not eat all day and not get hungry !

I was discharged from the consultant even thoif go my bmi is still high, I'm being treated as a normal pregnancy and they are just using the bmi raised pathway for support occasionally--- such as sending me for a gtt- which I passed .

Midwife says to me that I've not gained much at all but I feel gigantic & she has said that baby doesn't feel small and that he's sitting in 70th percentile and will be average size

Just try and eat as healthy as poss and get lots of vitamins and minerals - baby will take what he needs. You can always request that you get weighed when u next see midwife , that's what I did and she was fine with it.

This is my 2nd pregnancy and for this one and my previous I'm consultant led for high BMI.

During my first pregnancy I was weighed at my booking app. Then wasn't weighed again and my weight was not even mentioned throughout my pregnancy.

This time has been different even though it's the same hospital. I had a consultant appointment today where the consultant ear bashed me for a good 15 minutes about my weight. He informed me the fat around my pelvic area is likely to cause my baby difficulties during birth and my lifestyle could result in him being stillborn. He informed me that obesity is a growing problem and a strain on the NHS....... he then weighed me and I have gained 4 kilos which 'surprised him that it wasn't more'.

He wants to see me again in 6 weeks and he has told me he expects me to have not gained any weight, if anything I to have lost some weight. Through dieting and exercise. Also he informed me that 'walking isn't a form of exercise is it?'.

So there you have it. Two very different experiences at the same hospital for the same thing.

I do understand he was taking the shock factor approach but he was relentless about it! I'm very much a yo yo dieter, I tend to lose a lot of weight then 6 months later put it all back on and more. It's depressing enough as it is without him fat shaming me in front of students too!

Oh well, I'm off to eat some carrot sticks for dinner.

That's awful louloubelle, no one should be made to feel like that :-( so many of us (me included) have an emotional relationship with food that speaking to someone already conscious of their weight like that just has the opposite effect. Hope it didn't make you feel too horrible x

Luckily I'm not too sensitive about it. I know I can lose weight, it's the story of my life. Lose 4 stone, gain it back and so on and so on! But he should be careful as he could say something like that to someone who is a bit more vulnerable.

He also told me 'I'm sure you want to look nice in your wedding photo's (im getting married next year) so i think losing weight would be a good idea!' So obviously he thinks over weight people don't photograph well!as it happens I of course will be trying to lose weight before my wedding, but that has no relevance to my current pregnancy so I don't see his need to comment on it at all! He was just a bit of a d**k to be honest. And I have have the pleasure if seeing him again in 6 weeks so he can make sure I'm dieting and exercising through my 3rd trimester. Lucky me! Xx

What kind of exercise did he suggest you do? Walking to the toilet and back a thousand times a day is enough surely :D seriously though, you'd think he'd never been pregnant. Sounds awful the way he spoke to you xx

I should have asked if getting up and going to the fridge to retrieve my chocolate several times a day counts as exercise! Haha.

He didn't elaborate on what exercise I should be doing, I'd had enough of his patronising tone by then so just stuck to nodding my head at him in agreement at everything he was saying. I have youtubed some pregnancy workouts so I will probably do some of them I think.

Don't dare put any more weight on, he might give me lines to do next time! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back