Anyone been to California?

Laura_C

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm considering booking a holiday next year to California but haven't a clue where to start! It's hubby's 30th in April next year so was thinking we could have a really memorable family holiday to celebrate. I was thinking of booking around May/June school holiday as that's as close as I can get to his actual birthday. We will have a 5 year old and an 18 month old so obviously wanna keep them occupied. Was thinking maybe San Diego or somewhere like that? With the famous Zoo and there is also a Disneyland in California now too.

If anyone has been any reviews opinions would be great!! Was thinking of just booking a few nights to NYC for the two of us but I'd just miss the kids too much!

I went a couple of years ago. My dads BIL lives out there. We stayed in a place called Dana Point (sort if between LA and San Diego you would need to hire a car I think) which was lovely it was a suburban beach town. My dads BIL rented a house for us (there were 4 adults and 2 kids tho) but it meant we could eat in (aka order in amazing mexican food.) Dana has beaches (including a kiddy beach) lots of restaurants, some nice shops and whale watching boat trips!! (We saw hundreds of dolphins and 2 blue whales.)
In regards to activities, sea world is a MUST! I've never been anywhere so amazing, my little brothers loved it (not as much as me haha!) I also paid extra to swim with a whale. The good thing about sea world also is that it's not hugely crowded as apposed to other places.
Disney was terrible I thought! It was stupidly crowded, rides weren't up to
much at all and you have to queue up to meet all the Disney characters (I'm talking like 20 deep.) I was quite disappointed.
Universal studios is the bollocks! But if you have a little in with you, you might not be able to fully appreciate it as a lot of the rides are quite big, but there is the curious george water park, shrek in 4D and simpsons ride!

Hope this helps if you want more info let me know :)

1st pic is Dana kiddy beach
2nd is the view over Dana Harbour
3rd My little brother at universal
4th Dolphins at sea world
5th dolphins on Dana boat trip

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943127.290488.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943127.290488.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 7
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943143.112917.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943143.112917.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 5
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943156.633553.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943156.633553.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943171.708782.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943171.708782.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 4
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943184.795523.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327943184.795523.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks so much for all this info and pics hun, it looks fab!!

Def sounds like it would be a great holiday with the kids :)

I have travelled around California, it is a wonderful place.

I have been to:

LA (in and around) including:
Beverley Hills
Bel Air
Santa Monica
Malibu
Hollywood

Santa Barbara
Pismo Beach
Monterey
Carmel
Big Sur
San Francisco
Oakland
Modesto/Fresno
Yosemite
Tuloumne Meadows
Bishop
Palm Springs

I can't comment on Anaheim and the southern LA beaches which are probably more suited to a family trip if you are wanting to do disney etc.

California is stacked full of outdoor/natural wonders but with a family the travelling might be a bit of a pest travelling to get to them. My favourites were the Sierra Nevada/Yosemite/Big Sur. But there are places like the Mojave desert and Napa Valley too.

If I ever go back San Diego will definitely be on my list.

Enjoy (I am very jealous!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back