Anyone a dog expert? Advice needed

ForestLas80

Reaction score
This weekend we have seen 2-3 attacks from our normally v placid golden lab with my in-laws relaxed and happy springer spaniel. They have been fine with eachother for 2 years but have really fallen out and we don't know why!! This is the first weekend at the in-laws and they have stayed here lots of times before now with and without us. This is the first time we have been here with Fin and we are wondering if Marley the lab is being protective of Fin with Charlie the spaniel being around?

We r really worried now as even though it's been all bark and no bite the attacks seem unprovoked and we really don't want this happening at every family gathering.
I am also wondering if Marley who has been on a diet but we have now put him on a maintenance food plan is hungry and grumpy? I am going to take him to the vets to get him looked at and see what they say. So worried as he is normally the sensitive, loving and non-aggressive dog and this is so out of character :-(

Could be a variety of things hun.

Vets visit is a must first rule out anything physical.

Ask your vet about Zylkene (herbal c almer) I've had good results with it for anxiety based issues.

Hiya we have a very happy fussy springer spaniel and had always got on with other dogs, but after having joseph and another dog comes near she has started going for them. It is really embarrassing and i kept having to apologise to the owners. I ve stopped taking her on the field because of it. I spoke to the vet and he said she is protecting joseph and I had to tell her off but its not so easy. so now DH takes her on his own.x

Could be a variety of things hun.

Vets visit is a must first rule out anything physical.

Ask your vet about Zylkene (herbal c almer) I've had good results with it for anxiety based issues.

Thank u will ask vet when I take him on Monday. Hope it's nothing major as I love my lab so much

This weekend we have seen 2-3 attacks from our normally v placid golden lab with my in-laws relaxed and happy springer spaniel. They have been fine with eachother for 2 years but have really fallen out and we don't know why!! This is the first weekend at the in-laws and they have stayed here lots of times before now with and without us. This is the first time we have been here with Fin and we are wondering if Marley the lab is being protective of Fin with Charlie the spaniel being around?

We r really worried now as even though it's been all bark and no bite the attacks seem unprovoked and we really don't want this happening at every family gathering.
I am also wondering if Marley who has been on a diet but we have now put him on a maintenance food plan is hungry and grumpy? I am going to take him to the vets to get him looked at and see what they say. So worried as he is normally the sensitive, loving and non-aggressive dog and this is so out of character :-(

is fin your baby? yes it would make sense for your dog to be being protective of him. what do you do when he does this? maybe if you shout at him and send him out of the room or lock him in your backyard for abit when he does that he will stop doing it? Because hes barking and not biting it seems hes warning the other dog, which would make sense if hes protecting fin x

:-([/QUOTE]

what do you do when he does this? maybe if you shout at him and send him out of the room or lock him in your backyard for abit when he does that he will stop doing it? Because hes barking and not biting it seems hes warning the other dog, which would make sense if hes protecting fin x[/QUOTE]

Dogs don't understand punishment like that, their brains don't work that way. If you are concerned maybe think about muzzling the dogs when they are together. We have 2 dogs that fought and were advised that every time they fight they get adrenaline then they want it more. If you can take that adrenalin away by controlling the situation it should stop it xx

Sounds like the change in your household is causing this. If it happened in my house I wouldn't have any other dogs in my home nor take him to another house with a dog and work on discipline/manners before I let my dog off the lead in a public area. Poor dog, he must be very anxious, but an anxious dog can be a dangerous one.

Last edited:
How did this turn out? I've been working with dogs for over 6 years.

You cannot really judge a dogs behavior & reason behind it by listening to what an owner says - no offence, they dont have the knowledge to justify a behavior that is happening.

Seek professional help before the dog decides for himself what to do.

Just noticed this is from July so maybe not relevant now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back