Anybody on Iron tablets?

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by roxyroo, Jul 9, 2013.

1. roxyroo

roxyroo Well-Known Member

I had a blood test done last week to check for anemia and it's come back that I am a little bit so I've been given iron tablets to take. I used to suffer with anemia a lot before I was pregnant but somehow managed to get it under control just by changing my diet. I was on iron tablets about 6 years ago but had to stop because they made me feel really sick and ill. Bit nervous about taking these ones now... anybody want to share how they feel on them?
    Mine are Ferrous Fumarate 210mg got to take two a day x

2. EllieG

EllieG Well-Known Member

I am taking them, I take them with a glass of orange and some toast, the orange to help absorb, the toast to stop me feeling sick. YOu can take liquid iron that is sometimes more easily tolerated, I think some people use Spatone?

3. roxyroo

I took one today after I had my dinner and so far so good... I just really don't want to feel sick again lol after feeling sick till I was about 6 months pregnant I would rather just not feel sick. I will see how I get on and if it's not for me I will go back to the doctors x

4. SpinSugar

SpinSugar Well-Known Member

I'm on them and yes they make me very nauseous & constipated. But I think its with it given the benefits, I'm trying to get my iron up so I'm no longer a higher risk so I can have a water birth, and a higher haemoglobin level has got to be better for the baby right! Plus it will help me recover better from the birth if I replenish my stores now.
    I'm taking them midday or late pm with food which seems to help

Xx

5. Constantstar

Constantstar Well-Known Member

Ive been prescribed them but forgotten to take them! Ive gotta start!

mummy to ds 11/7/11
    pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

6. Sparklisam

Sparklisam Well-Known Member

I've got to take them THREE times a day !!! But to be honest with this hot weather being really concious to drink loads so this combats the potential constipation. Always take them at meal times (a good way for me to remember to take them lol) and I have noticed a difference in my energy levels so def a positive side effect for me !!

7. Mamazee

Mamazee Member

I'm on 2 daily, mine is called Ferricure. I take one in the morning right after breakfast and one at noon right after lunch. I have to have mu tummy full or else they are very uncomfortable. I try not to take them at night, cuz i have sleeping problems some evenings. If you eat a lot of fibre and drink water, it will help u with constipation.
    25 weeks today

8. tilly16

tilly16 Well-Known Member

I am taking these, I also take them with orange juice and find that also helps with constipation, although I only really suffered for the first few days and then my body got used to them x

9. Rachel80

Rachel80 Well-Known Member

I used to take them but they play havoc with my stomach so I try to avoid now x

10. VikkkiR

VikkkiR Well-Known Member

I had them in my last pregnancy TOP TIP if you're constipated, ask for the iron in liquid form, doesn't make you as constipated and the liquid tastes like after eight mints x

11. roxyroo

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I've taken them for two days now and so far I feel ok, been having them with food like most of you have advised. I eat loads of fruit etc so haven't been constipated for ages. Hopefully I will feel ok this time x

12. Cariad Bach

Cariad Bach Well-Known Member

I've been prescribed these and took my first this morning, only to be sick 30 mins later! I don't know if the tablet made me sick or it's just the heat at the moment.

I'll try again tomorrow.

13. Ashbee

Ashbee Well-Known Member

I passed out at work and they found out I was anaemic so I'm also on them! Twice daily - although sometimes I forget Woops! Can't say they are making a great deal of difference and iv been on them for a month now x

14. coco_cukoo

coco_cukoo Well-Known Member

I'm on 3 a day (but mostly forget the 3rd) and eat a shed load of fruit & veg & still got constipated. TMI - I only go about once a week & that isn't very satisfying let me tell you!! You can take lactulose which I'd highly recommend to soften it xx

15. mum2b410

mum2b410 Well-Known Member

I'm on the same (ferrous fumerate) just once a day. I take it with or soon after food and have generally been fine. Keeping well hydrated def helps! X

16. Sprk

Sprk Well-Known Member

I take it three times a day (when I remember oops!). Lots of extra water and fiber help keep things moving.

17. mike2402

mike2402 Active Member

Im on a dose of 3x daily but will usually only take 1-2 per day. I was prescribed after having my son and got severely constipated which was awful after septicaemia post c section. It was not nice. Im lucky in that i can take them at any point with or without food and feel ok. If i start to feel bloated i add in some lactulose with food.

The one thing i have found is since taking them, my RLS has all but completely disappeared!

18. Cariad Bach

Cariad Bach Well-Known Member