Anybody have got or had strep B?

Amanda & Bump

Reaction score
I went to hospital today to discuss some blood tests i had, they told me i have strep B which i'm quite worried about. I'll be put on a drip when labour starts but all they did was tell me abit and hand me a leaflet to take home. Just need some reassurance, they said in worse case that my baby could die, yes worse case, chances are prob very slim but i don't wanna hear that, it really upset me. Apparantly whoever handles baby in first 3 months has to wash and dry there hands throughly before picking baby up...how hard is that gonna be, i have to leave my baby screaming while i throughly wash and dry my hands?? Someone please help, i'm stressing!! xxxxx

You are very lucky it has been detected hun, so many women do not know they are carriers until their baby becomes sick soon after birth.

I don't know much about Strep but whilst you're in labour they give you a drip of something (antibiotics maybe?) to help stop Strep B passing to the baby. I'm sure it's passed to the baby as it comes throughh the birth canal otherwise. It's something we can live with without symptoms or problems but to babies it's dangerous.

People should wash and dry their hands thoroughly before picking up babies anyway for a good couple of weeks just because their immune system is low, but once you get used to it, it becomes second nature to do it quickly before you pick LO up. Me, Mark and anyone else always wash and dry our hands before handlign Damien. Started off in hospital because he was a bit poorly, but now it's more out of habit.

Sorry you've been given this news hun, I hope it does not cause you any problems now that they have found. Sorry I couldn't help moe.

xx

no thanks hun, like i said just needed reassurance, which you've done. Is your baby ok now?
xx

yeah he is good thank you - he has reflux now but thats nothing major. He's a happy little thing just like any full termer. Don't really think of his problems, just how far he has come and how well he is doing :D

good hun, i'm really happy for you and your baby. It must be hard work having a prem babe.
Glad he's ok, i cant believe how quick pregnancy has gone, just over 8 weeks to go now, yippeeeeeeee!!!
xxxxx

I had strep b with my son. They gave me a drip and when he was born they gave him a round of anti biotics. I am sure this baby will have to have it also. I was told to wash you rhands always with a new baby but not becuase of the strep. Eithe rway my son is fine and doesn't have any problems related to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back