Any teachers finding it particularly hard?

Abi88

Reaction score
I'm massively jumping the gun here as I'm still TTC but just wondered if any teachers were finding it extra hard to choose names? I loved the name James but a few years ago I taught one that was a real pain so I can't bring myself to use it. After nearly 10 years teaching it feels like I have already had to use my cross voice with all the names I like!

Meeee. I'm so glad I'm having a girl as all the boy names I like have been ruined by bratty kids, haha. Even good kids ruin names, because I don't want to feel like I've named my child after one I've taught.. Its ok though, it forces us to be a little creative with baby names. At least I know which names are super common nowadays so I can steer away from them.

I like Erin based on a fantastic kid I have taught but Oh doesn't like the name so it won't be an issue of naming a girl after someone I have taught but our top boy name is Rory, another child I've taught but he was a great kid. I know as soon as we choose a name I'll have one in my class that's a pain! A colleague named her child Jake based on never have taught one that was a pain and lo and behold has a Jake that was a pain in her class as soon as she got back from maternity leave!

I agree it's great keeping an eye on the top names though. I had a class a couple of years ago with two Aidens, a Jayden, a Hayden, a Caiden and a Brayden so avoiding - den names!

Ohhh yes, feel you on this one.

Though it's also made me like some names I wouldn't have otherwise!

I like Erin based on a fantastic kid I have taught but Oh doesn't like the name so it won't be an issue of naming a girl after someone I have taught but our top boy name is Rory, another child I've taught but he was a great kid. I know as soon as we choose a name I'll have one in my class that's a pain! A colleague named her child Jake based on never have taught one that was a pain and lo and behold has a Jake that was a pain in her class as soon as she got back from maternity leave!

I agree it's great keeping an eye on the top names though. I had a class a couple of years ago with two Aidens, a Jayden, a Hayden, a Caiden and a Brayden so avoiding - den names!

Haha I hate -den names, that would be a nightmare class for me!! I could never ever name my child after a good kid, its too weird to me. But its true, you're bound to meet a brat with your child's name eventually, especially if you go with a popular name.

We're naming our daughter Winter. I've met a couple of girls with that name, but I've never taught one of them. I'm hoping that because its an uncommon name I won't meet a horrible girl named Winter in 10 years time haha. My top boy's name is Chester, I've never met a boy named Chester so hopefully that one won't be ruined for me either!

A lot of names have been ruined for me and my partner. I wouldn't worry about teaching a child with your chosen name later down the line as you will already associate it with your child more than any child you teach. The problem is more finding a name that you don't associate with a child you've already taught.

Luckily neither of us have taught anyone with the names we have chosen although we did discuss some names of children we have taught. We came up with the names and then one of us would say; oh I taught or teach one of those. That didn't put us off (unless they were horrible kids) but I didn't view it as naming them after the children we knew. It was just we happened to know someone with that name.

Haha I hate -den names, that would be a nightmare class for me!! I could never ever name my child after a good kid, its too weird to me. But its true, you're bound to meet a brat with your child's name eventually, especially if you go with a popular name.

We're naming our daughter Winter. I've met a couple of girls with that name, but I've never taught one of them. I'm hoping that because its an uncommon name I won't meet a horrible girl named Winter in 10 years time haha. My top boy's name is Chester, I've never met a boy named Chester so hopefully that one won't be ruined for me either!

I've taught an Autumn who was a pain but never a Winter! Are you due in the Winter? My parents started thinking up names for me around Christmas time so I could have been a Robyn or a Holly but they decided it didn't suit a summer birthday.

I’ve been teaching so long now that I think I’ve had both good and bad kids if every name under the sun. However, some names do seem more ‘bottom set’ than others!

I've taught an Autumn who was a pain but never a Winter! Are you due in the Winter? My parents started thinking up names for me around Christmas time so I could have been a Robyn or a Holly but they decided it didn't suit a summer birthday.

I don't think it matters whether your birthday fits in with the name or not, if anything I'd probably do the opposite and avoid a Christmassy name if we had a December baby. But it's funny how different people have completely different views on those things isn't it :)
I knew someone called April who was born in April, but I wouldn't think anything if someone was called April but were born in September.

I used to be in teaching 4+ years ago, and I still have this problem! We also have the problem that we don't want to use a name of someone we know at work. And because we are a public facing role, it also rules out even more names of those we meet in the job!

I don't think it matters whether your birthday fits in with the name or not, if anything I'd probably do the opposite and avoid a Christmassy name if we had a December baby. But it's funny how different people have completely different views on those things isn't it :)
I knew someone called April who was born in April, but I wouldn't think anything if someone was called April but were born in September.

An April born is September makes me think of something my Grandma said about giving children names after personal qualities. Ebony will always be blonde, Joy will be a pessimist, Faith will be an atheist and Chastity will be a....

I have found it almost impossible but I've picked a boy and girl name which are lesser used but I find myself hoping I won't teach a child with these names until my little one is here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back